shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a pair of diamonds for studs from Bluenile

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I currently own a pair of cushion cut diamonds that I purchased from Bluenile 5 years ago and want to switch them out to Round diamonds. Bluenile has an upgrade program where I can give the current earrings back and spend twice the amount towards a new purchase. Primarily this means that I have to make my purchase through Bluenile.

When I talk to them about HCA or Idealscope images they tell me that HCA is a 20yr old tool and GIA is a better indication of the diamond than the HCA. Also, that their vendors don't have the ability to provide idealscope or ASET images.

I turn to you guys to help me with this process. My overall goal is to stay under 18K for the studs and BN is allowing me to split this such that I get a pair of studs + a pendant.

Here is a pair of diamonds that I picked, I have asked BN to check for black inclusions(they told me that VS1 is always eyeclean).

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamond-details/LD05729226-LD05729227

HCA for AGS diamond was 1.6
HCA for GIA diamond was 1.5

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - i'm in the trade and forum rules don't allow me to comment on specific stones, but here are a few guidelines that may help you when trying to pair up a set of diamonds for stud earrings:
- mm diameter is quite important - I find that anything more than 1/10th of a mm out is a bit too noticeable
- you want to keep the colour close - but they don't have to be spot on - for example, if you find a low end F colour, you can usually get away with matching it up with a top end G colour to perhaps save a few bucks, and you won't notice any difference.
- clarity is often sacrificed a bit with studs to improve other aspects (often colour/carat) - normally the same level of scrutiny isn't applied when people are looking at someones earrings as compared to looking at an engagement ring - so, depending on your tolerance, you can usually get away with a nice light coloured SI2. The same can apply here regarding having a range as well - there is no reason why you can't have, for example, a VS2 with a nice eye-clean SI1.
- make (cut) is very important - things like having the same table size / mm spread / depth / etc. is quite important - it doesn't have to be spot on (remember there's a head in between), but you don't want to have a 55% table with a 60% table. Pay attention to the cut grade - as you know, cut is what determines how light interacts with the diamond.
Hope this helps

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a super job matching your stones! But I personally would want both stones either GIA or AGS for consistency in grading. Or I guess you can order and exchange if you can see a difference in them.

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
@DiamondSeeker, I'm having these diamonds inspected for any visible inclusions, BN is being very adamant that they won't be to the eye at VS2. I told them that I don't want any black inclusions even under a loupe. I don't understand why they won't provide idealscope images and keep trying to steer me towards their Signature line.

BN also doesn't give me the option to search by AGS or GIA alone. It was so tough finding a pair that had good HCA, I'm vary about going below VS2 because there is no way to see the actual inclusions and I don't totally trust BN.

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Too bad! When I called BN today they told me that the AGS diamond already sold inspite of having put it on hold. My search starts all over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
more_diamonds|1455179803|3989669 said:
Too bad! When I called BN today they told me that the AGS diamond already sold inspite of having put it on hold. My search starts all over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

These guys are my competition so I can't speak about them specifically...however in general...
Not sure if you're aware or not, but most websites have some form of a 'build your own stud earrings' function - if you go into this and set the filters (and also advanced filters), then a lot of the hard work is done for you. You can put in a range for most things (4Cs/table size/depth/etc) -some sites will have more options than others (options to select grading lab/etc), but this will automatically pair the most similar stones within the system, and then you can have a closer look from there - - it will cut down a lot of time/work for you.
Hope this helps

edit - just saw your first post...you're obviously aware :doh: ...maybe someone else will benefit from this :lol:

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
I found another pair of diamonds that I need an opinion on. I specifically asked about black inclusions on these diamonds. I'm waiting for BN to tell me where the black inclusion is on diamond 2. In the meantime, I want to know if these are even worth considering given the idealscope/ASET images provided.

Diamond 1: 1.4 VS2 I HCA 1.9(58/61.9/36/40.6) 7.17 x 7.12 x 4.42 mm
This diamond exhibits a slight yellow color - no black inclusions.

Diamond 2: 1.4 VS2 I HCA 1.3(56/62.1/35.5/40.6) 7.13 - 7.17 x 4.44 mm
This diamond does not exhibit any prominent color - it has a black inclusion.

Attachments

• diamond1_aset.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • diamond2_aset.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 66

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Inclusion map for both diamonds

_947.png

_948.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, earring stones need to be nice and bright, so I wouldn't go to high crown angles which usually have more fire.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0)

For studs, I keep the table size within 1 percentage point, so 56 and 57 are okay, but I wouldn't do 56-58. Of course, diameter needs to be overlapping or very close.

Of the two you just posted, I didn't look at the images because it wouldn't let me unless I downloaded and saved them. But just the notation of one being noticeably tinted means they are not a good match. You want to try for higher I color because when the color is borderline J, you will see more color.

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
@diamondseeker, thank you! It's almost as if BN matches one good diamond with a not so good diamond. So many of them have one that's a high HCA and another that's not. I'm having the toughest time finding a pair with good HCA. Also, they have the earring pairings with 55, 57 tables and the BN associate told me 2% is ok. Guess they just want to sell!

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Another pair, requested additional pics and analysis but, BN states it depends on the vault.

Diamond 1: 1.29 VS1/J 57/61.2/34.5/40.8 (7.02 x 7.05 x 4.30 mm) HCA: 1.3, AGA NAJA cut: 3A(Not sure if I input the numbers correctly)
Comment: Diamond faces up white, small black inclusion but, not visible to eye because it's vs1

Diamond 2: 1.31 VS1/J 57/61.7/35/40.8 (7.00 x 7.04 x 4.33 mm) HCA: 1.7 AGA NAJA cut: 3A
Comment: Diamond faces up white, no black inclusions.

_951.png

_952.png

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Another pair(I'm leaning towards this because of the I color)

Diamond 1:VS1/I 57/61.9/35/40.8 7.01 x 6.98 x 4.33 mm HCA: 1.7
Diamond 2:VS1/I 58/61.8/35.5/40.6 6.94 x 6.97 x 4.30 mm HCA: 1.5

susief

Shiny_Rock
Did Blue Nile do those ASETs for you on request? I thought they didn't do them?

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Yes, they say it's dependent on vault and got back to me with images for that one pair.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Oh that's really interesting - I am in the process of buying a diamond from Blue Nile so will ask if they can do it for mine. (They have already checked it for eye cleanliness and fluor effects). Who knows, maybe if enough people ask for it they will make it a standard feature!

(sorry for thread jack)

more_diamonds

Rough_Rock
No problem! They tell me that the other vendors have a much smaller inventory than them and it's impossible to provide the imagery on every diamond. I don't buy it, they are just resisting it because they can. They have the volume and enough uneducated diamond buyers that will just buy because it's a certain clarify and color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results