shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking 2.5-3ctw RB studs

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
First post here but long time Pricescope lurker! I have used this site as a resource researching all prior jewelry projects for my wife, but could use your help for our first foray into lab growns.

My wife wears an 8mm CBI engagement ring and I wanted to buy a set of ~2.5-3ctw (~7mm) RB lab grown studs for our upcoming 5th anniversary. Setting will be custom, double clawed 4 prong Tiffany style similar to her engagement ring with jumbo Stuller backs in platinum.

Lab growns are tricky; I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of AGS certed BG Premium lab stones with ASET/H&A images before checking here and reading about GCAL 8x, blue nuance and potentially better deals at Ritani and other sites. @Kim N @DejaWiz and others, any help would be much appreciated!

$3.5k was the approximate price of the BG matched pair, so that (or less) is my ideal budget for the diamonds. Thanks in advance!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope (officially), J Peterman!
Have a look at this beautifully matched set.
I can recommend some GIA graded diamonds, if you'd like to take a look or go that route.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about one of these pairs?

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
Wow @DejaWiz & @Kim N thanks so much, these all look like really nice matched pairs and I don’t think she will mind the extra spread! The price is a nice bonus also.

I know AGS or GCAL reports have ASET, H&A and other light performance reporting, is there any way to get that type of info from Ritani or are you just going by experience and tight super ideal proportions in making those picks?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @DejaWiz & @Kim N thanks so much, these all look like really nice matched pairs and I don’t think she will mind the extra spread! The price is a nice bonus also.

I know AGS or GCAL reports have ASET, H&A and other light performance reporting, is there any way to get that type of info from Ritani or are you just going by experience and tight super ideal proportions in making those picks?

You're welcome!

It doesn't hurt to ask Ritani if their suppliers can provide an ASET image, but they're not always available. I would at least put the stones you like on hold.

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
That’s great advice, I will go ahead and do that. Many thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You probably won't really *need* ASET, as Kim and I do check for indicators for things like pavilion twist, painting/digging, etc.
Your call if you want the added peace of mind, then there's nothing wrong with that and never hurts to ask for advanced images.

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
I put that big matched pair @DejaWiz linked first on hold and asked for ASETs (if available), but am putting my wire transfer in anyways.

The GCAL 8x pair @Kim N linked looked great as well. Thanks so much to you both for your help! I’ll report back when (if) they arrive.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put that big matched pair @DejaWiz linked first on hold and asked for ASETs (if available), but am putting my wire transfer in anyways.

The GCAL 8x pair @Kim N linked looked great as well. Thanks so much to you both for your help! I’ll report back when (if) they arrive.

Awesome, can't wait to hear what you and your wife think!

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
It's a "surprise" gift for her, we've talked about it together in detail many times, but she won't actually see any part of it until our anniversary in September.

So, to follow up: fast overnight shipping from Ritani. So fast that they mistakenly shipped them before my wire transfer came through! Pretty great customer service so far, although I called twice regarding ASET images and they shipped them out without ever following through on that.

The stone with the 34.3 crown angle looks great to me with my ASET/IS at home and shows a fair bit of fire. Nice spread for the price as well.

Unfortunately, the stone with the flatter 34.1 crown angle seems a bit lifeless, and shows some light leakage under the table with my ASET/IS testing under identical lighting conditions as the first. Its optical symmetry also looks notably worse than the other. I'm no expert, but I could tell. For context, my wife's CBI has a 34.6 CA with 77% LGF, so maybe I'm just used to seeing a more fiery stone.

So, do I return the one lesser performing stone and look for a better match? Return them both and start from scratch? Am I being too choosy for lab growns that will be set in studs? I think she would prefer HPHT, with slightly higher crown angles for more fire. Time is on my side to find the right pair, and considering these will be forever earrings, I'm happy to pay a bit more to get it right.

Thanks again!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a "surprise" gift for her, we've talked about it together in detail many times, but she won't actually see any part of it until our anniversary in September.

So, to follow up: fast overnight shipping from Ritani. So fast that they mistakenly shipped them before my wire transfer came through! Pretty great customer service so far, although I called twice regarding ASET images and they shipped them out without ever following through on that.

The stone with the 34.3 crown angle looks great to me with my ASET/IS at home and shows a fair bit of fire. Nice spread for the price as well.

Unfortunately, the stone with the flatter 34.1 crown angle seems a bit lifeless, and shows some light leakage under the table with my ASET/IS testing under identical lighting conditions as the first. Its optical symmetry also looks notably worse than the other. I'm no expert, but I could tell. For context, my wife's CBI has a 34.6 CA with 77% LGF, so maybe I'm just used to seeing a more fiery stone.

So, do I return the one lesser performing stone and look for a better match? Return them both and start from scratch? Am I being too choosy for lab growns that will be set in studs? I think she would prefer HPHT, with slightly higher crown angles for more fire. Time is on my side to find the right pair, and considering these will be forever earrings, I'm happy to pay a bit more to get it right.

Thanks again!

I would start with trying to find a match, and if there isn't one, then return them both and start from scratch.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

As I have maintained for many years now, the single most important factor in a diamond's beauty is the quality of the cut.

It is my fondest hope that someday, the general public will come to realize this and start demanding the quality of cutting they deserve and the large vendors will be dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century and forced to cut well if they wish to continue to sell.

Thank you for your being one of those heroes who are beginning to demand the cut they deserve.

Sincerely,

Wink

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Kim N for your advice above.

@Wink Seeing your CBI every day has ruined us forever. Can't unsee a perfectly cut diamond. Thank you for being one of the good guys in this industry and taking such good care of us. We feel lucky to have worked with you and your team at HPD.

I found a few GCAL 8x on Frank Darling that could potentially match the better-performing 1.6ct diamond from Ritani in cut dimensions and character:

How concerning is a growth remnant under the table resulting in the SI1 clarity grading for a stud? The difference in price between the linked diamonds is only about $300, obviously there is a price premium for GCAL 8x compared to the very nice diamonds I purchased from Ritani that @DejaWiz recommended.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option here, although is a 0.1mm difference in diameter significant enough to matter?

I always think that .2 is the limit of where folks can truly notice size differences (unless scrutinizing options next to one another). So for me personally, .1 wouldn't matter in terms of size.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kim N for your advice above.

@Wink Seeing your CBI every day has ruined us forever. Can't unsee a perfectly cut diamond. Thank you for being one of the good guys in this industry and taking such good care of us. We feel lucky to have worked with you and your team at HPD.

I found a few GCAL 8x on Frank Darling that could potentially match the better-performing 1.6ct diamond from Ritani in cut dimensions and character:

How concerning is a growth remnant under the table resulting in the SI1 clarity grading for a stud? The difference in price between the linked diamonds is only about $300, obviously there is a price premium for GCAL 8x compared to the very nice diamonds I purchased from Ritani that @DejaWiz recommended.

The 1.53 appears to have some blue nuance.

The inclusion on the D wouldn't be a problem for me in an earring.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
Wow, you guys are amazing. That one does look REALLY good! Thank you so much.

I just placed an order for it and will probably end up exchanging the shallower cut stone when the new competition arrives.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

J Peterman

Rough_Rock
Just following up, the replacement stone from Ritani (recommended above) was a total winner on ASET examination at home and the matching pair is simply stunning. Fiery, bright, well under budget and even larger carat weight than I was planning for. My wife will be absolutely thrilled, going to need some heavyweight backs for these!

Thanks again to all those who responded above to help me out. @DejaWiz & @Kim N especially, y’all are especially amazing. THANK YOU!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just following up, the replacement stone from Ritani (recommended above) was a total winner on ASET examination at home and the matching pair is simply stunning. Fiery, bright, well under budget and even larger carat weight than I was planning for. My wife will be absolutely thrilled, going to need some heavyweight backs for these!

Thanks again to all those who responded above to help me out. @DejaWiz & @Kim N especially, y’all are especially amazing. THANK YOU!

That's fantastic news! So glad you ended up with a winning pair, and happy I could help!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear that the diamonds gave a great ASET result and have found a forever home, J Peterman!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results