shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pick stone for this vintage ring

Drahokam

Rough_Rock
Hello, new member on PS, very happy to have found this forum, I only wish I found it many years ago as it is a fantastic source of information.

I am hoping to get your help in picking the right stone for this vintage ring, color, and faceted vs cabochon. This vintage ring was originally set with a cabochon center stone. At some point my great grandmother sold off stones from many jewelry pieces, including this ring. The original stone was a cabochon but no other information was passed on. Internal dimensions of the bezel are 6x4mm.
  • Stone color- not sure which stone color to go with (open to any). The gold is leaning into orange and I wonder if that limits which colors would look good.
  • Faceted vs cabochon- would you go with faceted or cabochon? Local jeweler said that a faceted stone could be used but I wonder if the bezel setting would obscure too much of the stone to make an impact or whether there is a type of faceted cut that sticks out somewhat above the bezel to help with stone visibility. I have been looking for gem cutters that work on cabochons but so far have not found any recommended ones.
Thank you!
Slide1.JPG

Drahokam

Rough_Rock
I have not considered a rose cut diamond, thank you for the suggestion. That cut would work with the somewhat shallow depth of the bezel and seems period appropriate cut for this ring (early 1900).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be an ocean blue or paler green stone for me personally, such as Zircon or a mint Garnet, faceted, leaning towards a mint Garnet.

DK :))

Drahokam

Rough_Rock
i love blue zircon, happy owner of couple pieces but was not familiar mint garnet, thank you for suggesting it. I stopped by a local jeweler today, he tried few stones just to let me see how dfferent colors would look. Light green looked good, so did orange, ruby red and strong medium blue. He didn't have diamonds to look at. Red cabochon made it look more modern, faceted stones looked good if well faceted (a blue saphire that with no sparkle just looked dead in the bezel).

Drahokam

Rough_Rock
Are there affordable gem cutters, gem sellers PS users like that are able to both source the stone and set it?
Locally i was quoted $200 for setting the stone (more if they would have to modify the bezel), not sure if that is reasonable. I have made a long list of sellers from perusing the PS forum, probably too long of a list since narrowing it down is getting a bit overwhelming.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results