• 1.20ct pear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.23ct pear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darque

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First time poster and I figured I'd get the community expertise on the biggest outright purchase of my life (to date) :) Would very much appreciate any input

I have narrowed down to two pear diamonds from James Allen, fulfilling the main criteria of size (>1.2ct), shape (approx 1.5:1 ratio) and budget (similar prices)

However, I am torn between a few things: 1) it's brilliance according to the ASET images 2) colour between the E and H and 3) eye clean.

Pros of the 1.23ct
- Much larger from face up
- Possibly more eyeclean?

Cons of 1.23ct
- More yellowing (H) not sure if this will overall be noticeable
- Concerned about shallow cut, possibly less brilliant
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.23-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-7810386

Pros of 1.2ct
- More colourless (E)
- Possibly more brilliant

Cons of 1.2ct
- Small face up
- Concerned about the eyeclean of the wisps
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.20-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-3000462

Which one would you pick weighing up the above in terms of brillance, colour and eye-clean?

Many thanks from a very confused brother in need of help!

1.2 ct ASET.jpg 1.23 ct ASET.jpg

1.2 ct GIA.jpeg 1.23 ct GIA.jpeg
Which one would you pick weighing up the above in terms of brillance, colour and clarity?

Many thanks from a very confused brother in need of help!

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I am zero help on the ASETs and dimensions/cut for pears, but will answer your question with my opinion and hope that someone more knowledgeable will add to this thread.

The E would be an absolute no go for me with the black carbon. Another potential issue is the strong fluorescence, it COULD make the stone look a bit milky in the sunshine.

The H is quite tinted. Do you know if your Beloved is color sensitive? I have read on PS others with much more knowledge than me say that pear shape may show more color than rounds (I'm thinking because of the brilliance in rounds). What metal are you going to set it in? If you are thinking WG or plat, it may look pretty brown. Rose/yellow gold may be beautiful, depends on lots of things, but mainly your Beloved. I personally love my O colored diamond, but I never expect it to be white and am surprised when it looks that way (not the other way around).

I hope someone else answers soon with more technical knowledge to help you decide/search for other options. Good lick!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like H SI1's light return better. More importantly, its shape is more graceful IMHO.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H has better light return. Not impressed with the E at all.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Both would be a “No” for me. The indents and cavity would be a problem AND the H has chunky middle facets and mush everywhere else. What is your budget? I’m assuming you want a certain size and that is why the clarity is what it is.

Darque

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! My budget is under 6000 usd for the diamond.

However, looking for something at least 1.2ct, eye clean and with good light perfotmance... I've been told both would be eye clean in real life, these are obviously under 20x mag

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the right ratio and over budget :D but the faceting appeals to my eyes!

I like the faceting but doubt it is eye-clean:

Window-y, doesn't look eye-clean, but I like the faceting:

Looks pretty eye-clean from here and seems good at most angles:

Similar to the one above but a bit more mush at the pointy end:

Not sure they are any good :lol: but the second from last would be my personal pick if I had to choose one!

Not a great selection on JA at the moment, it seems :(

Darque

Rough_Rock
Not the right ratio and over budget :D but the faceting appeals to my eyes!

I like the faceting but doubt it is eye-clean:

Window-y, doesn't look eye-clean, but I like the faceting:

Looks pretty eye-clean from here and seems good at most angles:

Similar to the one above but a bit more mush at the pointy end:

Not sure they are any good :lol: but the second from last would be my personal pick if I had to choose one!

Not a great selection on JA at the moment, it seems :(

Amazing, thank you!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Vote for the 1.33 F VS

I would have picked that one from a pile. DEF VS-SI Mb/Sb/VSb are excellent bargains these days, and there might be more options, but the beautiful shape & bright cut are not as common!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the 1.33. Here's one with a nice faceting. I like it's quirky chubby shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results