shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Oval cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
okay guys been looking hard for that special ring, found a couple of good deals. Both rings are basically the same price. the K color one is a tad cheaper.
1.5 K color VS2 clarity
1.14 J color SI2 clarity
any comments would be helpful both are oval cut, I can find no K color diamonds to compare with. Please help. both rings look good for a very untrained eye, both are on the web so unable to see them in person. Thanks in advance!!!!

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
well guys, I still don't know. moediamonds was helping, he was going to put together a ring. One day he can the next he can't, now I am suppose to call him next week. I may go with the 1.14 Jsi2, not exactly what I want but the price is right, 2800. And to be honest I hate shopping with a passion. I was hoping to find a 1.2 to 1.4 but it seems ovals aren't the easiest to find. I will let you know, the K color is still available. But gee, I want something better, Hubby is threatening to make go to the city. I hope I find something soon. Thank-you all!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3,There is not much I can say - it is very much of the personal taste and whether you don't mind a hint of yellow in the #1 or possible visible inclusions in the #2.If the rings are from yellow gold you might not see the color difference between J and K at all.

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I could not find an actualy color chart where I could distingish
the difference. Ring #2 is certified while ring #1 is not. It seems to me the K color ring is too cheap. He has come down to 2500 on it, and included an appraisal. I don't want a ring I will be ashamed of. K color ring is set in gold and has another carat of round stones in the band 2.5 tcw. The other ring has two other diamonds in the band making the ring 1.44tcw and I have a choice og 14, 18 white gold yellow or platinum.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Subtle3,There are so many issues here.It is advisable to see diamonds that are not mounted and to consider ones with GIA certs. Then you'll have a good chance of getting accurate color and clarity grading. You'll also know if the diamonds have any flourescence, which could be a positive or not.As for color, K would be too yellow for me, but it's personal preference. When you look at rings in a store, they have optimal lighting. The way the stone looks at home may be different.You may want to check out the AGA cut grades for ovals: http://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc3.asp You will also want to note how much of a bowtie is present in the ovals. The least noticable the better.The length to width ratio is a matter of personal preference. Some like the longer shapes, some may go for the chubbier ones.I hope this helps. lawmax
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Subtle3, do you mean the 2nd diamond is certified (not the ring). Without grading report you cannot rely on the grades - they have to be independently and professionally verified. Even if the diamond has a certificate it is always a good idea to verify whether it matches the report.$2.5k sounds very cheap indeed. In the internet 1.54 oval L-SI1 GIA is listed for $3240. We can expect even higher price for K-VS2... It might be a great deal but I would definitely check it before purchasing

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
The K color diamond does indeed have the bow effect going on, I forgot to check for that.
If the second one does it is not noticeable.
The 1.14 comes with the EGL report. As I said earlier, the cost of either ring seems too low. Both being under 3000.the EGL ring states that it also has a strong blue floresence. Maybe I ought to pass? I am also working with Moediamond, (maurice). I am trying to find the best and biggest for around 4000 to 5000. I do like the oval cut,I have had poor luck with marquise, and round is too popular. Thanks guys

Subtle3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info!
I thought I had read everything. interesting the one with strong blue looks so sparkly. and white. The K color not as much. If the cut is bad on a diamond, how much and is it possible to have it re-cut. Found out the store with the k is getting rid of all old inventory and supposedly that is why it is so cheap. Thanks again. I really like the setting on the K color, but the other looks better. I am very stuck, probably because I think the are probably good deals. any comments are helpful.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You'll want to make sure the diamond with the strong fluorescence doesn't look milky or oily in sunlight.Otherwise, the blue fluorescence could help it look whiter.You can always get the setting from someone else. It's possible the dealer just needs to get rid of these stones, but if the price seems to be too good to be true, it usually is.My advice would be to buy a well-cut diamond now, even if smaller. It's better than having regrets about buying just for price. Have you shopped around and seen many ovals? Do you have a good basis for comparison?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a genuine case where we cant help much, because you will not be able to get the info we require to make judgements.
You have got lots of info now. Go out and make an instinctive intuitive decision and be happy and in love forever
smile.gif

Garry the romantic

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results