shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on Purchase -- Cloud questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clerk

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just purchased a 1.75 ct., SI1, H color stone with a near perfect cut. I took the stone to be verified and the jeweler assured me it was a good cut "eye clean" stone. The primary determinant for the SI1 is a group of clouds just slightly off the table. With the 10x the clouds can be seen, but cannot with the naked eye.

However, when I view the stone from the bottom up or from the side, I can see dark spots where the clouds are. I assume these spots are reflections, but I am trying to decide if I can live with them. Are these types of noticeable clouds normal on an SI1?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
A cloud is simply a collection of small diamond crystals grouped together in close proximity... Sometimes the diamond crystals are translucent and other times they appear dark - often depending on the light source being used and the orientation of the light source to the diamond... Lighting the diamond from the back will cause the inclusions to appear dark just like a person will appear dark if you try to photograph them with the sun coming from behind them.

It is often possible to see inclusions within a diamond from a side profile even in VS clarity diamonds depending on the location of the inclusions within the diamond and the size / extent of the inclusions because diamonds are faceted to hide inclusions from a top down view and not a side profile...

Clerk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I guess my problem is that these inclusions are easily noticeable on this particular stone from the side view. Do you think I can find a stone with similar charateristics but with less "noticeable" inclusions? The cut on this stone is close to perfect, which is what drew me to it in the first instance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one ca see what you see, unless you get some really oversized picture of it (10X and more) from exactly the critical angle that bothers you. No idea what your tolerance to inclusions is and what those clouds are like, but there is one relevant question that applies in all cases: is the stone set? if not, would you still be able to see into the stone from that troublesome angle once it will be set? and ... Would some inclusions you know about but cannot see detract from your enjoyment of the ring and diamond?

It sounds like you have a mainstrean SI, borderline eye clean, on your hands.

Clerk

Rough_Rock
I hear what you are saying. It hasn't been mounted yet, and I imagine it can be hidden somewhat once set. Problem is, by the time the stone is set my return policy will have expired.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You might try a jeweler's marketing approach. Many times, jewelers will set a CZ in a new semi-mount for display purposes. It gives buyers an idea of what the completed ring will look like. You might try the same thing with your diamond.

Maybe your jeweler will let you mock set the diamond in a new semi-mount that has a head suitable for the shape of your stone. If you already have your setting, try nesting the diamond gently in the head of your setting. Then take a look. You might be able to tell if the cloud/inclusions will be visible thru the pavillion once the diamond is mounted.
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It's very common to see inclusions in upside down position in an SI 1 or even VS 2, if the inclusions are in the table area.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results