shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on Emerald Cut purchase! Need to finalize this week!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Help on Emerald Cut purchase! Need to finalize this week

I'd need a head on shot. Not at an angle. But there is a lot of promise. Plus the setting is just lovely.

amar23

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the input. RandG, thanks for the praise and affirmation, it is nice to know that the time spent was worth it!

Gypsy, I will upload a head shot tomorrow and hopefully natural light will be better. Girlfriend is in the building so can't chance getting caught red-handed to do it now. Ha. I will use my Nikon SLR micro lens, too, so it will be close-up.

Amar

amar23

Rough_Rock

ASETs of the 3 James Allen stones. Nice to have, and looks like the one Gypsy picked came out on top after gemologist review. Although, the ASET of Gypsy's choice isn't as red, it came out on top overall. Unfortunately, won't have the Tiffany ASET for a while, if ever, if the GF likes it. Since JA took so long to get back to me, it threw a wrench in my initial plans. For them to make me the same setting as the Tiffany by Friday is not going to be unlikely. So I couldn't even go with the JA even if I wanted to. Oh well.

Amar

323736 (Gypsy's 1st choice)

195551aset.jpg

305877aset.jpg

323736aset.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Three EXCELLENT choices from JA. Too bad it doesn't work for your timing!

My first choice was this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-305877 Actually. It's the one with the redder ASET.

Everyone ELSE loved this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-323736

Which is the one the gemologist picked. Can you cut and paste what the gemologist said by the way. I tend to not agree with the gemologists at JA on step cuts. Preferring the video and the ASET and my own judgement over it. But I am interested in what they had to say.

The ring you have has potential. Your lady is going to love it. I am sorry the timing didn't work on JA. But I am glad you got something that WILL work for your timing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1 for often not agreeing with their opinions, Gypsy. Good call on the better diamond, too.

Amar, I would have been very concerned about you getting a setting the quality of the Tiffany there anyway, so I am glad it didn't work out. I would have said Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, or maybe ERD for that setting. Vatche makes a pretty nice one as well. But you'd be looking at 3-6 weeks for any of those. Emerald ASETs can be disappointing, so if you future fiancee loves the Tiffany ring, I definitely would not send it for one. She won't want to give up her ring to send away, anyway! I think I said this before, but sizing or any work on that ring needs to be done at Tiffany only.

Good luck and PLEASE come back and tell us how the proposal went and show us a few hand pictures! :appl:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

wow-I love the proportions and setting of the Tiffany-so classic! I hope your gal loves it!! :love:

amar23

Rough_Rock

Gypsy, the email text is below:

"Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images of diamonds 323736, 305877, and 195551. I've attached an interpretation guide for ASET images to the bottom of this email, so please read that over. Other customers have found it very helpful and I hope you agree!

I'm happy to inform you that all three of your diamonds are actually very bright! Diamond 323736 is the winner of the group and offers excellent fire, brilliance, and scintillation. It's eye clean, has a higher/whiter "G" color, and has attractive, sharp, clean faceting.
Diamonds 305877 and 195551 have a true "G" color, face eye clean, and also have excellent light performance. You'll see that diamond 305877's ASET image features the most red, but when seeing them in person, the gemologist confirmed that diamond 323736 is a little brighter. Diamonds 305877 and 195551 tie as a close second for fire, brilliance, and scintillation.

You really can't go wrong with any of these diamonds since they are so similar, however, I'd like to give you a slight nudge towards diamond 323736 since the gemologist found it to be slightly brighter and to have slightly more defined faceting."

Also, for added info...

ASET History & Interpretation Guide
The ASET camera system was developed by AGS several years back as a method of determining the different types of light return/reflection in a diamond. The ASET camera system is based on the simple idea that as light travels towards a diamond, the direction of that light can be captured and recorded by a filter (or cone) placed above the diamond and painted (or colored) into different horizontal sections.

The bottom section of the filter is colored GREEN and represents light that comes from the horizontal plane. This light is often called "INDIRECT LIGHT" and so any GREEN in the diamond image is good and represents that indirect light being reflected back to the camera. The middle section of the filter is colored RED and represents light that comes from the most common angles (such as lights in a ceiling, the sun, etc). This light is referred to as DIRECT LIGHT. Since direct light is most common in real-life viewing environments, we hope to see lots of RED in the captured ASET image. The more RED, the better job the diamond is doing at reflecting light from its primary light sources. The top section of the filter is colored BLUE and represents light that is often blocked by the viewers head/body. This light is generally referred to as OBSTRUCTED. Obstructed light is important for creating contrast in a diamond and is what makes the arrows "pop" in a Hearts & Arrows diamond. Seeing BLUE in an ASET image is also good, although there should not be too much of it. Lastly, the camera can capture areas in the diamond where light is "leaking", or not being reflected back to the viewer. In the ASET camera developed by AGS, this leakage is shown as BLACK.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hmm. Looks like this gemologist is paying attention to the brightness and the faceting. OK. With THIS gemologist, I would listen.

Still, irrelevant as you have that Tiffany piece. But nice to know. Thanks for indulging me.

amar23

Rough_Rock

Here are some photos using a better camera (not SLR, batteries dead). However, overcast once again, so I opened all the windows and took a few shots. I tried to stand back to not obstruct but I think you can see the reflection of my bedroom window and door, etc. Best I can do for now. The fuzzy stuff is from my sweaty paws trying to position the diamond.

Here's another video, though not HD because Vimeo sucks unless you pay.

http://vimeo.com/100353799

Amar

img_5064.jpg

img_5065.jpg

img_5066.jpg

img_5068.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Definite potential. If lives it leace it be and enjoy!

amar23

Rough_Rock

Thanks, Gypsy! Will send pics on July 17th!

Amar

amar23

Rough_Rock

Quick update. Proposal went perfectly. Her parents surprised her as planned and she had no idea. Had gourmet dinner by the lake served by the hotel restaurant. After dessert, our waitress brought out an extra covered tray with the ring on top of rose petals and I popped the question. She LOVES the ring and I don't think I could pry it off her finger for an ASET if I wanted at this point. She didn't even know it was T&Co until 10 minutes later when she saw the box, which was icing on the cake. For us, it was the perfect ring, and I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't for this website. My appreciation is immeasurable.

Amar

img_9015.jpg

img_5140.jpg

img_5147.jpg

20140716_213354_resized.jpg

amar23

Rough_Rock

More pics... Will send more ring pics after resized at Tiffany.

20140716_213405_resized.jpg

20140716_213703_resized.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to you and your beautiful fiance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amar!!!! :appl: :wavey: How absolutely wonderful!!! That ring is gorgeous and it went to a beautiful girl, too! :love: I am sure she adores it! I think you made a wonderful choice! I would actually love to have a ring just like that! Great proposal, too!

Congratuations and please do come back when you have more pictures! Sooo happy for both of you!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Congratulations!!!!

You are a lovely couple, wishing you both all the best.

That ring is amaaaazing. I love it. You did so well, Amar. Congratulations.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks fabulous on her. And I'm sure she adores it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THOSE PICTURES! I love it when posters do that.

Wishing you both much health and happiness together!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results