shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on Emerald Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondLover

Rough_Rock
Hi- I desperately need help on an emerald diamond!

I currently have a round brilliant that I plan to trade in for a bigger (and an elegant) emerald cut stone.

Because it's an HRD stone, I wondered if you all could help me figure out whether it's a good stone or not:

Shape: Emerald
Weight: 3.53 carats
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Size: 10.54 x 6.96 x 5.24 mm
Table Width%: 61
Crown Height%: 20
Pavillion Depth%: 52.5
Slight Fluorescence

I am a little perplexed because I'm not sure how to convert these measurements to the table found on Pricescope. Specifically, is the crown height too high?

Also is H and VS2 okay on an emerald cut? I plan to fly in to see this stone in person soon, but wanted to make sure the crown height, color, and clarity were generally okay on a platinum setting as I would be trading in a very brilliant 1.86 carat F VVS2 for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
DiamondLover, welcome to the forum,

You are right, according to AGA chart, 20% crown hight is a bit steep.

However, it is still can be a nice stone. Unlike rounds, fancy shaped diamonds is much more difficult to evaluate based on limited information from the grading reports.

and plugging the proportions above. However, even within these proportions there are many variations of the minor facets relationships which will change the entire picture...

H and VS2 is perfectly ok as long they are indeed H and VS2
1.gif
I mean that you might want to verify it with independent appraiser.
[/u]

DiamondLover

Rough_Rock
Thank you- you're a ROCK STAR!!! (No pun intended.)

A few follow-up questions if you don't mind:

1. Is H color pretty much bona fide if the HRD attests to it, or is an independent appraisal needed nevertheless?

2. Does faint fluorescence (I'm assuming it's blue, but will make sure) actually help the color of the stone- by counteracting any faint color in the H colored stone?

3. When I goto Antwerp to see the stone, what should I look for in this "deep stone"? What are the usual characteristics- dullness in the center?

Thank you so much- you are a life saver!!!! :)

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi DL,

This stone sounds interesting to me. The high crown might create an ''Asscher effect'', making it look deep like a pool and hypnotic.

As for HRD, they're very strict and I'm pretty sure the grades will be accurate. HOWEVER, on such a major purchase, I strongly advise you to have the stone checked by an indipendent appraiser.

Faint fluorescence won't make a big difference. Let me tell you that HRD doesn't state the color of the fluorescence and the stones are sealed, so you need to open the security seal. Anyway, no matter the color, a faint fluorescence is negligible.

This diamond should sing to you... You must be in love with its look. If it doesn't appeal you that much, then don't go for it.

GOOD NEWS: The seller (which is gendiat.com aka diamondmanufacturer, right?
2.gif
) is really GREAT. Mr Zai is very knowledgeable and very willing to help. I'm sure he won't disappoint ya!

DiamondLover

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice!

Are you psychic or something? This is scary! :)

Yeah, I hope it turns out to be hypnotic.

What do you all recommend for side stones? Trillons, half moons?

DiamondLover

Rough_Rock
Hey Professor Giangi,

What do you think of these specs? I NEED YOUR HELP- it's high season to Antwerp! :)

Table Width%: 61
Crown Height%: 20
Pavillion Depth%: 52.5

And what did you mean by "you have to love the look"?? Do you dislike emerald cut, or do you mean that each individual stone has more of a different look and cut?

THANK YOU!!!!!!
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi my dear DiamondLover (<-- and I'm one too!!!),

The numbers look interesting too me. I think this stone will be very nice looking. As I said, I think this stone will look a bit like an Asscher. I like high crowns on emeralds, and it's somewhat difficult to find one over 11-12%. This one is a litttle bigger that usual, but I'm sure it will be FANTABULOUS
9.gif
LOLOLOL!

When I say ''you have to love the look'' I mean that you must like that stone. See if you LOVE it and otherwhise consider looking at other stones. Personally, I think emerald cuts are beautiful and are the PERFECT choice for a big diamond. They look elegant, sleek and so classic and I have the feeling this one won't disappoint ya!! I really like them when set with trillions.
1.gif

Take care
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results