shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on deciding on a cusion diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie72

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

This site has been very helpful in my search for an engagement ring. After reading numerous postings (and seeing those shiny pics) of HW micro pave ring and the Tiffany Legacy, I decided to contact Leon Mege to have the ring made for my girlfriend. I am thinking the ring might be a combination of the two rings (top and band of the HW micro pave and maybe some of details of the side view of the Legacy).

Here is the fun part. Before we can not begin talk on the detail design of the ring, we have to have a diamond. I need to find a cushion diamond (1.3-1.5 (more squarish look), D-F, IF-VVS1, with close to excellent cut). I told Leon that I will leave the search for him since he does have some contact and can imagine the ring better for the design. Also, I would not have to deal with shipping the stone to him. I am also doing some research here for price comparisons, etc.

He has found two diamond for me. The are exactly or better than what I was looking for. However, he told me that both of them have a very faint flourescence.

1. 1.31, D, IF, EX, EX, 7.05x6.09 - $16,500
2. 1.24, D, VVS1, EX, EX, 7.01x6.03 - $12,900

(prices can be slightly less)

I did a search here and found most of the diamonds with the criteria that I was looking for with flourescence. Only a few has none, but the cut is not ideal.

Leon did say that he will usually tell his customer that he will not recommend a diamond with flourescence. However, he likes the diamond because of the cut and color. What do you guys think of the flourescence? Will the faint flourescence be that noticeable? Will it be better to find a ring with a lower color and clarity but with no flourescence? I don''t really need the diamond to be IF (to save some money).

BTW - Leon has been very great to work with.

Thank you for you suggestions in advance.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Newbie72 - Hi there!

No, I don't think faint fluorescence will be noticeable at all in normal conditions. Now if you tend to have a bunch of black lights around your house that is another matter altogether, LOL!

And between the two I say save yourself $4K and get the second one.

Also, I think you could come down to at least a G and definitely go lower in clarity and get either a bigger stone for the same $ or a similar sized stone for less $. (But I'm not making the suggestion of coming down to find a stone w/ no fluor. because, as I mentioned above, I don't think it will be noticeable.)

newbie72

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dee*Jay for the flourescences info.

I am leaning toward the second ring. I don''t really need IF and D.

I don''t think I would go over 1.5 carat. Her finger is kinda tiny (3 3/4). Also, there will be micro pave diamond around the cushion, so that will make it look bigger. However, I do understand that many of the ladies out there agrees with ''bigger is better :).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 11:23:03 AM
Author: newbie72
Thanks Dee*Jay for the flourescences info.

I am leaning toward the second ring. I don't really need IF and D.

I don't think I would go over 1.5 carat. Her finger is kinda tiny (3 3/4). Also, there will be micro pave diamond around the cushion, so that will make it look bigger. However, I do understand that many of the ladies out there agrees with 'bigger is better :).
If you don't want to go bigger than 1.5 carat - I'd drop to clarity VS1 and color E or F and save the rest of your money for an extra vacation to the tropics or europe!

ETA: the faint flour - you're likely to not even notice it, maybe ever. In blacklight it will even be "faint" and that's not such a bad thing!

newbie72

Rough_Rock
I think you guys are right that I should go up in size and not worry so much about the faint flour.

However, I was able to find these two cushion here. What do you guys think of them? Why is the first one with Color Clarity of IF and SYM=EX cheaper than the second one with VVS2 and SYM=VG?

These two are diamonds cheaper than the first two that I listed earlier.

Carat Color Clarity Depth Tbl Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Flr Measurements $/Crt Price
1.51 F IF 67.7% 60% GIA m-vtk no gd ex no 6.84-6.22-4.21 $7561 $11417*
1.51 F VVS2 62.9% 63% GIA m-xtk no gd vg no 7.11x6.44x4.05 $7970 $12034

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:39:36 AM
Author: newbie72
I think you guys are right that I should go up in size and not worry so much about the faint flour.

However, I was able to find these two cushion here. What do you guys think of them? Why is the first one with Color Clarity of IF and SYM=EX cheaper than the second one with VVS2 and SYM=VG?

These two are diamonds cheaper than the first two that I listed earlier.

Carat Color Clarity Depth Tbl Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Flr Measurements $/Crt Price
1.51 F IF 67.7% 60% GIA m-vtk no gd ex no 6.84-6.22-4.21 $7561 $11417*
1.51 F VVS2 62.9% 63% GIA m-xtk no gd vg no 7.11x6.44x4.05 $7970 $12034
honestly for me the #1 thing for cushions is the TYPE of cut it is.... and none of these prices or numbers do anything to clue us in on that. at a minimum you need a GIA cert with an inclusion plot and at best, a helium or sarin scan or at least some pictures. You can statistically have two diamonds that are identical nd one might have an additonal 8 or 12 or 16 facets that totally change the "flavor" of the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results