shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on a diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redtide

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I''ve recently begun looking for diamonds online (Blue Nile) and needed a little help. Any thoughts on the below diamond?

Shape: Round
Carat: 1.38
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: VS1
Color: J
Fluorescence: None
Holloway score: 1.3 Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, and Very Good
Price: $6300

My approach was to find diamonds which met the specs I was looking for, then look at the GIA reports online to see how the inclusions were, and finally plug the numbers into the Holloway calculator to select ones with Holloway scores less than 2. Ultimately, I think the area I was compromising on was in the color. When I went to a few diamond dealers, however, I simply couldn''t tell the difference between H, I and J. Does my thought process make sense and seem reasonable? Any advice?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a GIA stone? What is the rating on it? Do you mind posting the girdle, polish and symmetry information?
If the HCA score is less than 2 and is a GIA excellent, I don''t see any red flags.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 9:30:24 PM
Author:redtide
Hey all,

I''ve recently begun looking for diamonds online (Blue Nile) and needed a little help. Any thoughts on the below diamond?

Shape: Round
Carat: 1.38
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: VS1
Color: J
Fluorescence: None
Holloway score: 1.3 Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, and Very Good
Price: $6300

My approach was to find diamonds which met the specs I was looking for, then look at the GIA reports online to see how the inclusions were, and finally plug the numbers into the Holloway calculator to select ones with Holloway scores less than 2. Ultimately, I think the area I was compromising on was in the color. When I went to a few diamond dealers, however, I simply couldn''t tell the difference between H, I and J. Does my thought process make sense and seem reasonable? Any advice?

Thanks!
Welcome!

If you could post the proportions you entered for the HCA, that would help. What type of grading report does the diamond have? If it is GIA then it won''t be an Ideal Cut, Excellent is GIA''s highest cut grade.

redtide

Rough_Rock
thanks! It''s a GIA diamond with the below specs:
Depth: 61.9
Table: 55
Crown: 34.5
Pavilion: 40.8

Thanks,
Vivek

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good on the numbers.

What is the symm grade?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 2:39:49 PM
Author: redtide
thanks! It''s a GIA diamond with the below specs:
Depth: 61.9
Table: 55
Crown: 34.5
Pavilion: 40.8

Thanks,
Vivek
Looks very promising! I also need the diameter measurement, girdle thickness, polish and symmetry grades please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results