shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Newbie Needs Professional Advice on Princess Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PONY

Rough_Rock
First of all this site ROCKS (no pun intended)!!!

I''m a newbie and have been looking around in all kinds of jewelry stores for that "special" diamond. I want to stay away from any internet purchases since I want to see and feel the merchandise.

I have been reading tons of posts here (thereofroe lead me to get the GIA info) and need some professional advice and estimated pricing on a possible engagement ring purchase.

GIA Certified
1.32 Princess Cut Solitaire (square modified - listed on cert.)
With approx. 0.60 baggetts
6.06 X 6.06 X 4.50
No Fluorescence
Girdle Med. to Thick
Culet - None
Polish - Good
Symetry - Good
VS1
G
Depth 74.0
Table 78

The diamond is already set in a platinum setting.

Is this a good find and what would be a reasonable price to pay? I am on a tight budget and want to make sure I am getting a good deal.

In advance thanks for your time!!!
PONY

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What a square stone!!!

I'm sorry to say it doesn't look very good to me. Table is very large. You should try to stay within 58% and 69%... Numbers aren't that important with princess cuts, but a table within the above mentioned range, a 10% or higher crown and a 65%+ depth are a nice place to start. Since you're looking at GIAs you won't have crown or pavilion info's, so get a Saring or OGI report. Try to get additional reports, as BrillianceScope and IdealScope images. These are really helpful.
I understand that you're working on a budget, and that a better cut will cost you more, so I advise you to start looking at VS 2 or SI 1s... These can be great values and (if properly graded) will be eye-clean... More bang for the buck.

BTW, I wouldn't stay away from internet purchases... Most vendors have exceptional return policies, so if you do not like the stone you can return it easily.
1.gif
1.gif

PONY

Rough_Rock
Giangi, thanks for the info...great advice! Just to see - what would you consider fair for the above mentioned ring?

Thx
PONY

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A fair price for a stone like that would be approx 6K...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results