shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Newbie looking for a ring with a limited budget.

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I was introduced to this site recently, and have been browsing through the wealth of information and insights. Glad this resource is available.

My gf likes the Tiffany's Round Brilliant with Pear-Shaped Side Stones. Starts at CAD$21,000. A bit much.

She has tried on some from a local B&M shop and they had her try on a 2ct center stone with pear sides... The price was CAD$9000. I asked for the diamond certificates but the retailler basically ignored my request and pulled out some other rings. The stones looked a little dull (did not sparkle much).

I am looking for the same type of engagement ring. My budget is approximately CAD $8,000 ( USD $5900 ). I am in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The center Round about .9ct or bigger, eye clear. The side stones are pear shaped, about .2ct each roughly. The ring mount, I was thinking, 14k white gold.

I have seen some different options, including gems as side stones. They look nice, but have to see if gf wold accept that style. I saw them from James Allen.

I have looked at Brian Gavin and White Flash ring mounts. They are approx. USD $2000. For my budget would USD$1000 be enough?

What are your ideas/suggestions? Much appreciated!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 3 Stone Engagement Ring

Brian Gavin and WF's prices are in USD.

It looks like $8000 Canadian dollars just about converts to $6,000 USD (if I did it right with the google converter!)

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I have edited it to show USD. I rounded down. Poor loonie...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you looked at the "uncerted" diamond rings, what did the stores tell you the color of the diamonds are? Did they look white to you?

...trying to figure out what the thresholds would be for your search, colorwise, when we search for diamonds with reports from GIA and AGS. :)

3Bean

Rough_Rock
The retailer mentioned H or I colour. I tried to ask what the side stones were, but she just kept on with "Look at this one! How about THIS?" The colour looked white(clear), but did not shine(sparkle) even under the direct lighting.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like you could push out to J no problem. J with fluorescence will be even better!

I would say, reach out to ID Jewelry (in NY), and ask for Yekutiel. Tell them you are a Pricescoper, and that you are looking for a Pricescope quality ring. Describe the Tiffany's type of three stone you are after, and tell them your budget, and that you don't want color to be lower than a J, and would prefer fluorescence if you are looking at J's. Yekutiel knows what PSers like in a stone - lolol... GIA/AGS certs, HCA score under 2, etc.

I am recommending ID Jewelry because they are known to get you the most bang for your buck. When they make suggestions for center stones, they will provide images of the stone (stone + ASET + IS images). Come back and post them online for opinions.

chuwy

Rough_Rock
Agreed - I ordered a ring from Yekutiel at ID jewelry and he definitely worked in my budget and found a gorgeous diamond (that should be arriving tomorrow!)

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
With roughly a $6000 USD budget, seems like $1500-2000 would go into the setting you want (2 pear sides). Perhaps some of the RB experts here can recommend a big, well cut diamond within the $4k range to help you get the most out of your money.

Going with a super ideal vendor might get you .8 or .9 carats. Looking elsewhere, you should be able to find a 1.1+ well cut diamond. Gypsy or Diamondseeker2006 are more probably the ones to go in recommending good choices here.

3Bean

Rough_Rock
With the $6000 price, what should I expect for tax and duty? That also factors into the cost too. Has anyone had experience shipping to Canada?

Edit:
I also found this on the ID site. Looks similar. Can't find any pear side stone rings.

14K White Gold 0.24 ct 3 Stones Diamond Engagement Ring Setting ER7995W44JJ

Can I link to outside sources?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always ship to a FedEx in Washington for hold, and have a lovely trip to Washington - worst case scenario...

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1456962076|3998777 said:
You could always ship to a FedEx in Washington for hold, and have a lovely trip to Washington - worst case scenario...

*ding ding ding* There's your answer here. Ship to Washington, avoid any duty/taxes altogether. There should be no sales tax if you're buying it from out of state.

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Interesting. But if I go down to Washington, I usually go with my gf. Have to figure out a sleuthy way to go about this. Hmm... But then the border declaration... But with the CAD$ down, no real incentive to spend time down there.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's packed in fedex box within fedex box like a Russian doll. They can just have the return address with Yekutiel's name instead of ID Jewelry.

Could you say its a boys trip to see Seahawks? I don't even know if it's that sports season right now hahaha

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Okay. So I contacted Victor Canera about the ring. They replied back with their settings are roughly USD$4000.

I have emailed a few other places about this. Waiting for their replies.

There is a local diamond shop maximediamonds.com. I have sent them my specifics. Waiting for their reply.

Exciting! Slightly stressful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would try to get everything from Blue Nile Canada in this case.
Copy and paste as the links to blue nile do not work right .

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD06675992 Gets you to 6mm in the stone. I know you wanted 90 points but this is going to give you 6mm and that's great and is budget friendly. All signature stones are guaranteed eyeclean.

With this setting: http://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your-own-ring/pear-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_20392?action=14kWhiteGoldSelect&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer Brings you in right at budget.

This is the combo I recommend you get. Blue Nile has a fantastic return policy .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
shipping is free to Canada (JA, Brian Gavin, Whiteflash, BN, etc...) some are not (eg IDJ, GOG, etc..)
You only pay local sales taxes (if in BC, PST+GST) as you normally do locally. No import duty. Return is not free thoguh.
With BN, however, you only pay return shipping cost incurred within Canada.

I am from vancouver, and shopped from JA

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock

3Bean

Rough_Rock
If there's no other costs. Very tempting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
noscrusir|1457049537|3999342 said:
Here's a BGD Blue diamond for about $4399 US (=$5898 CAD).

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.917-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104085060007

Putting this in their Grace setting would cost $1950 US (=$2614 CAD), bringing your total ring to ~$8500 CAD. Right near your budget.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/grace-3-stone-pears-18k-white-gold-5557w18

Will look into non-super ideal vendors for you as well tonight.

You'd have to ask for lower colored pears with that. I wouldn't put a J in the middle of two F/G pears. So I'd ask for H-I ish pears.

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to update.

I went to a few local jewellers. One was close to my work, went during lunch. Meeting with them tomorrow.

Another jeweller has emailled me that he has found some diamonds. I am waiting for more info, and certificates.

One center stone 0.80ct SI1-clarity E-F colour round brilliant cut.
Two sides stones TWD 0.43ct SI-clarity F-color pear cut diamonds (2x0.215ct).

I am still looking at options online too.

Question, is a .2ct pear side stone too small for a .8ct to get the effect of the Tiffany ring? I posted the image from Tiffany's, That shows a 2.3ct center stone.

Another, are the diamonds set too low to show them off?

What do you think?

round-brilliant-with-pear-shaped-side-stones-19516555e070708_1.jpg

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. Here is a diamond that a local dealer has offered. Thoughts?
For Can$6500 ( USD$5015 ). He will do the whole ring for Can$8,500 ( USD$6500 ). I have seen it in person, and you can not see the inclsions with out help. There are hearts and arrows, but you can see some of the inclusions in those scopes. Also, for the setting he will use 19k gold.

Round Brilliant
Measurements 6.35 - 6.38 x 3.88 mm
Carat Weight 1.00 carat
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Very Good

proportions
Depth 60.9 %
Table 61 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 14.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.4°
Pavilion Depth 42.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted, 5.0%
Culet None

If I were to go with BGD, I would go with the Summer setting.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-18k-white-gold-5371w18

si1_1ct_i.jpg

3Bean

Rough_Rock
So, browsing through ID Jewelry, this one caught my eye. It is $4700USD. Is this a good diamond?

gia___2173458917-hearts-01.jpg

gia___2173458917-idealscope-01.jpg

gia___2173458917-aset_black__fancy_-01_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The images look pretty good. You need to call Yekutiel and ask him about the stone. Tell him that you are a Pricescoper.

You can run stones through the HCA tool to see how they might perform. Its an elimination tool so anything that scores
2 or under is worth a further look.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3Bean, the IDJ stone is a LOT better cut wise than the one your local jeweler found. ;)) But I am seeing a sizable feather between the 7 and 8o'clock position arrows. What is the clarity grade on this stone?

3Bean

Rough_Rock
I emailed the main email, and asked for the photos. He was the one who sent me thr images.

Measurements 6.21 - 6.22 x 3.81 mm
Carat Weight 0.90 carat
Color Grade F
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.3 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 33.5°
Crown Height 14.5%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet None

HCA 1.0 Excellent, excellent, excellent, very good

3Bean

Rough_Rock

gia___2173458917-officelight_black-01.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask him if its eye-clean...like Carebear mentioned with the feather?

3Bean

Rough_Rock
Yekutiel sent me a video. It looks very nice. My cousin mentioned that a prong can cover that feather. Probably the way to go.

Now to decide between IDJ's Vatche 310 18k white gold with .36ctw side pears, or BGD's the Summer 18k white gold with 4ctw(I think) side pears.

I had a local ring maker but he is bowing out. Said it's easier for me to get it all in one. Would have been a 19k white gold with .4ctw side pears.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3Bean|1459467905|4013947 said:
Yekutiel sent me a video. It looks very nice. My cousin mentioned that a prong can cover that feather. Probably the way to go.

Now to decide between IDJ's Vatche 310 18k white gold with .36ctw side pears, or BGD's the Summer 18k white gold with 4ctw(I think) side pears.

I had a local ring maker but he is bowing out. Said it's easier for me to get it all in one. Would have been a 19k white gold with .4ctw side pears.
3Bean, a prong will not be able to cover a feather that size, but since it runs along a facet juncture, it will be hard to see. I would still check with Yekutiel to see if it is visible and also check with him to to make sure there aren't durability issues with that feather.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results