shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed :)

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
hi all,

I'm in the need of help from some of the experts on here, I am looking for a diamond that is within my budget and I heard that this is the place to go.

I'm looking for a round brilliant diamond with the following;

No lower then .70 ct
H or better Colour
SI1 or better (eye clean)
3x excellent cut
Little to no Flor

I have a tough budget of about $2000, hopefully this isn't impossible. I am looking for a diamond to send to David Klass has he will be doing the setting for me.

Thank you for your time and help!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking for a round brilliant diamond with the following;

No lower then .70 ct
H or better Colour
SI1 or better (eye clean)
3x excellent cut
Little to no Flor

I have a tough budget of about $2000, hopefully this isn't impossible.

It's not impossible at all...

Please consider that carat is WEIGHT, not size. A lower carat weight may face up larger than a stone of greater weight (for example, a 0.67 ct may face up the same or larger than a 0.70 ct)... That said, what is your target diameter (in mm)?

Regarding fluorescence... fluoro rarely has a negative effect on the stone. AAMOF, it can make a diamond appear whiter in certain lighting conditions. So, I wouldn't limit my search.

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
It's not impossible at all...

Please consider that carat is WEIGHT, not size. A lower carat weight may face up larger than a stone of greater weight (for example, a 0.67 ct may face up the same or larger than a 0.70 ct)... That said, what is your target diameter (in mm)?

Regarding fluorescence... fluoro rarely has a negative effect on the stone. AAMOF, it can make a diamond appear whiter in certain lighting conditions. So, I wouldn't limit my search.

I'm not so caught up in terms of carat weight as I am the look of the diamond + the size (it looks face up). So I'm a bit flexible to look at .67's if they faceup the size of a .7 or Above

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not so caught up in terms of carat weight as I am the look of the diamond + the size (it looks face up). So I'm a bit flexible to look at .67's if they faceup the size of a .7 or Above

I don't think you understand... the "face up" diameter of a 0.7 isn't always the same. What mm size would you like to get? :)

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
I don't think you understand... the "face up" diameter of a 0.7 isn't always the same. What mm size would you like to get? :)

I understand.. I just want the biggest mm for
My money!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I understand.. I just want the biggest mm for
My money!

Actually, it's more complicated than you think. Taking your statement above literally, we could find you a "pancake" diamond that has a very large diameter, but is not very sparkly because it is too flat to allow for the light rays to be reflected properly by the diamond facets. Assuming you want a diamond that is bright and sparkly necessarily implies you need to sacrifice some diameter (compared to the pancake). Thus, it is important for those helping you to know the smallest diameter that you would be comfortable with (assuming the diamond has excellent light performance).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The6...a well cut round brilliant at .70 usually falls in the 5.7mm range. So you should aim for a stone about/around that size. Everyone should be posting
well cut stones so the size is not going to differ a large amount (this is a round brilliant not a fancy cut stone like an oval that can very widely).

There are 60/60 stones that may face up a tad larger but usually result in more white light return at the cost of fire. I prefer to stick with a TIC round
brilliant that usually has a higher crown and produces more fire but that's your call. A tad larger would be about .05mm.

ac117 and drk14 have posted some stones that are close to your budget. You may not get everything you want in your budget but you are getting
very close. The last stone drk14 posted is a 60/60.

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
The6...a well cut round brilliant at .70 usually falls in the 5.7mm range. So you should aim for a stone about/around that size. Everyone should be posting
well cut stones so the size is not going to differ a large amount (this is a round brilliant not a fancy cut stone like an oval that can very widely).

There are 60/60 stones that may face up a tad larger but usually result in more white light return at the cost of fire. I prefer to stick with a TIC round
brilliant that usually has a higher crown and produces more fire but that's your call. A tad larger would be about .05mm.

ac117 and drk14 have posted some stones that are close to your budget. You may not get everything you want in your budget but you are getting
very close. The last stone drk14 posted is a 60/60.

Are you saying that you prefer a 60/60?

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
Can you request Aset images from James Allen?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

I'll let @tyty333 speak for herself, but I think she said she prefers higher crown angles than the 60/60 that I had posted (which has a crown angle 33.5), while still within TIC range (<35.5 degrees).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, sorry, I should have spelled it out a bit better. TIC stands for Tolkowsky Ideal Cut. These arent his specific numbers but
the ranges we usually work with are

table 54-58%
depth 60-62.3%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 with idealscope)
pavilion angle 40.6-41 degrees

lower crown works best with higher pav angle (34 crown/41 pav) and vice versa (35 crown/40.6 pav). Angles that fall outside of this range may* be
ok but you need Idealscope/aset to see whats going on.

Nothing wrong if you prefer 60/60 stone. I dont own one but are usually brighter at cost of fire due to lower crown. I'll let someone with a 60/60 stone
tell you why they like it so much. Most people dont like to give up fire...but depending on what you are
looking for...

Here is a link that has a video of a TIC stone next to a 60/60 stone so you can see some of the fire difference. Be sure to look at the slowed down version of the video (its pretty cool).
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/diamond-fire-1568.htm

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, sorry, I should have spelled it out a bit better. TIC stands for Tolkowsky Ideal Cut. These arent his specific numbers but
the ranges we usually work with are

table 54-58%
depth 60-62.3%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 with idealscope)
pavilion angle 40.6-41 degrees

lower crown works best with higher pav angle (34 crown/41 pav) and vice versa (35 crown/40.6 pav). Angles that fall outside of this range may* be
ok but you need Idealscope/aset to see whats going on.

Nothing wrong if you prefer 60/60 stone. I dont own one but are usually brighter at cost of fire due to lower crown. I'll let someone with a 60/60 stone
tell you why they like it so much. Most people dont like to give up fire...but depending on what you are
looking for...

Here is a link that has a video of a TIC stone next to a 60/60 stone so you can see some of the fire difference. Be sure to look at the slowed down version of the video (its pretty cool).
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/diamond-fire-1568.htm

OP, I love 60/60 stones. I've had a 2.43 ct and now have a 3.33 ct 60/60 type stone. I love the white light return and SPREAD. It's totally personal preference. I love TIC stones too... The stone I fell in love with just happened to be a 60/60 and faces up like a 3.5 ct at 9.8 mm. It scored great on the HCA at 0.8 with all "Excellents" for light return, fire, scintillation, and spread. It sparkles like crazy! :)

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

As I've also noted in the new 60/60 thread, the 60/60 stone in the above Whiteflash video is one that has relatively shallow crown (31.5) and steep pavilion (41.4), which yields HCA=3.0.

For comparison, the JA 60/60 that I had linked previously has crown angle 33.5 and pavilion angle 40.8, which yields HCA=1.6.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
@The6ixontherun , I saw that you posted this on the 60/60 thread:

What's the feeling on this 60/60?

Depth
60.0 %
Table
59 %
Crown Angle
33.5°
Crown Height
13.5%
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%

Numbers look similar to the JA stone discussed above, but not identical. If this is a diamond you're considering, feel free to post more information here.

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
@The6ixontherun , I saw that you posted this on the 60/60 thread:

Numbers look similar to the JA stone discussed above, but not identical. If this is a diamond you're considering, feel free to post more information here.

Yes this is the stone that I am leaning towards... I'm going to see it in person tomorrow. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best diamond for the best price. I really want it to sparkle and fire back.

Im having an internal battle with myself about buying online as I much rather deal with an all in one experience (buy diamond and setting from jewler)
But i keep hearing online is where it's at.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The6...Here is a very good article that explains 60/60 stones pretty well.
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/60-60-diamonds-1503.htm Full disclosure... WF does not stock 60/60 stones. They
do not fit in the ACA line due to the larger table issues/reduced fire.

As far as buying on-line, I thought you were going with David Klass for a setting so that kind of precludes you from getting everything done at one jeweler.
The other benefits that you get from buying on-line is you get our help:razz:. People who have no dog in the fight. We want to see you get a really nice
stone in your budget. This is our hobby. On-line you have access to well, many, stones that fit your specs. Unfortunately, a lot of jewelers may only have
a few that fit in with your specs or may be willing to bring in 3 or so for you to view (that's fine too). It all depends on the buying experience you are looking
for.

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
The6...Here is a very good article that explains 60/60 stones pretty well.
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/60-60-diamonds-1503.htm Full disclosure... WF does not stock 60/60 stones. They
do not fit in the ACA line due to the larger table issues/reduced fire.

As far as buying on-line, I thought you were going with David Klass for a setting so that kind of precludes you from getting everything done at one jeweler.
The other benefits that you get from buying on-line is you get our help:razz:. People who have no dog in the fight. We want to see you get a really nice
stone in your budget. This is our hobby. On-line you have access to well, many, stones that fit your specs. Unfortunately, a lot of jewelers may only have
a few that fit in with your specs or may be willing to bring in 3 or so for you to view (that's fine too). It all depends on the buying experience you are looking
for.

I've been very happy with the help from the PS crew. Unfortunately I found out that if I purchase a diamond online and send it to David that I would have to pay taxes on the diamond twice, since once it's set the total cost would be taxed sending it to Canada (where I live). I've been trying to find someone that I trust in Toronto that would work with a loose stone, but haven't found anyone trustworthy yet.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silky question from American. How do the taxes work if you buy from the EU or UK? What I'd you buy from another Canadian province?

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
Silky question from American. How do the taxes work if you buy from the EU or UK? What I'd you buy from another Canadian province?

If you buy from another province it's no problem, I don't personally know about the EU or U.K, but I know on loose diamonds they charge 13% tax on it and then on a entire engagement ring it is 6.5% duty + 13% tax.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been very happy with the help from the PS crew. Unfortunately I found out that if I purchase a diamond online and send it to David that I would have to pay taxes on the diamond twice, since once it's set the total cost would be taxed sending it to Canada (where I live). I've been trying to find someone that I trust in Toronto that would work with a loose stone, but haven't found anyone trustworthy yet.

Well, thats NOT good! So you have to pay taxes twice if you buy the stone and have it sent straight to DK and then have it sent home to you
(only crosses border once?) Do you feel like you need to see the stone before it's set?

Edit...what type of setting are you looking for?

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock
Well, thats NOT good! So you have to pay taxes twice if you buy the stone and have it sent straight to DK and then have it sent home to you
(only crosses border once?) Do you feel like you need to see the stone before it's set?

I'm a little nervous about not seeing it before, but it's an option... I haven't been 100% confident in any stone I've seen so far. Do you have any suggestions. I'm looking for one with tons of fire and brilliance. Will scarfise size for it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little nervous about not seeing it before, but it's an option... I haven't been 100% confident in any stone I've seen so far. Do you have any suggestions. I'm looking for one with tons of fire and brilliance. Will scarfise size for it.

That's the great thing about PS -- we'll help you select a great stone that doesn't require you to view it prior to being set. Any well cut stone will have fire and brilliance.

The6ixontherun

Rough_Rock

That's the great thing about PS -- we'll help you select a great stone that doesn't require you to view it prior to being set. Any well cut stone will have fire and brilliance.

I really like the look of when the arrows are defined in the front as well. Any suggestions?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the look of when the arrows are defined in the front as well. Any suggestions?

I think you should consider I color... it will still be white in a 0.7 stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we have the issue of going back and forth/taxes, I sort of feel like we need to up the clarity to make sure there is no reason you would want to
return the stone due to clarity. Which leads us to what msop is pointing out that you will need to drop down to an "I" to stay in/close to budget.

I like this one but it is a tad over budget...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3157600

ac117 posted these above and they look good.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3224065
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3128707 feather at 2 oclock; looks like it could be hidden
by a prong near by
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3214810 find out where feather is...there is a mark
betweeen 2 and 5 going though the table...is that the feather?

For any stone that is an SI1/SI2 ask JA if it is eye-clean.

Have you looked at JA for a setting? I'm not sure what you're after but they might have something close to what you are looking for.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we have the issue of going back and forth/taxes, I sort of feel like we need to up the clarity to make sure there is no reason you would want to
return the stone due to clarity. Which leads us to what msop is pointing out that you will need to drop down to an "I" to stay in/close to budget.

I like this one but it is a tad over budget...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.72-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3157600

This is the exact stone I kept looking at -- this would be my choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results