shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with princess with trillions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njneh

Rough_Rock
Trying to decide between a round solitaire vs. a princess with trillions. The problem is that I feel the trillions take away from the princess where as the round solitaire is so stunning because its alone. So I have two questions.

1. What proportion should the trillions be in relation to the princess?
2. What is the consensus on which one to get?

Please help.:twirl:

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi! My answer contains 0% knowledge based on anything scientific. But...I got a princess cut stone (1 carat) and am putting some trillions next to it. I like the look, but the round always seem to sparkle more.

I will attach a pic of my setting, (except picture has a round diamond in it) when I tried on a similar on with a princess at Bailey Banks & Biddle that had a princess in the center, I found the princess JUMPED out due to the fact that the trillions are set lower in a bar below the princess center. (PS this setting cost me $150 in white gold, let me know if you want to know where to find it)

This setting also has the side stones set at an angle down from the center stone instead of straight across, and that angle helps accentuate instead of draw away from the center stone. (my 3 stone ring now is almost straight across and the center gets lost)

From what I've learned on this board, rounds are really the best cut for the maximum brilliance, and fancy cuts are harder to achieve that with (anyone jump in here and help me) but not impossible.

As for size, the ring at BBB was a 1 carat center with .18 carats total weight in trillions and was nice. I am going for .44 ctw in my trillons (they measure 4.5mm each point to point and my center is 5.5 mm and square)

Really its what you want. In my uneducated opinion, I think trillions look bigger than other cuts of the same weight and are a perfect companion for a nice princess cut diamond.

Cheers!
Divergrrl :wavey:

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
sorry, this is the pic i wanted to attach. Now this is a Jeff Cooper design, the one I have is not (JC uses Platinum, the one I purchased is 14k white gold). But its the same design and is actually better suited to a princess center.

cheers!

printriljeffcooper.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Divergirl gave you excellent advice.

Trillions are one of the deadest cuts, but they spread well.
You can select trillions with more life with an ideal-scope if you can get to some big parcels.

You can go as large as the inside of the prongs on the center stone and use those prongs to hold the stones - then you do not need the bar between the stones.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
But....I LIKE the bar!! It makes the center stone *pop*!! :twirl: Really!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: I like the princess cut with the trillions better, I will post a picture soon to show you one that we just made. tell me what you think.?
with a round stone traditionally goes with tapered baguettes.
just my 2 cents.

diamondsman
:))

moraq

Rough_Rock
Whether princess or trillion to go with a round solitaire is a matter of personal preference.

The design that I have on my mind is that princess-round-princess, where the princess's height/width would equal to the round's diameter. Three diamond in a channel setting.

If setting on trillion, I would have four trillions (such as fancy yellow / fancy green diamond, cheaper choice could be rubyllite, ) enclosing the round. It would give a lot of essence to the round solitaire.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Diamondsman,

What a pretty ring! I can't wait to get my new trillions, and then I can set mine in its new setting.

I love the trillions with the princess. I also think another setting for the princess that is absolutely stunning is the Vatche X prong.

Too much beauty, so little time, only one ring finger. DANG! :appl:

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Thanks for the compliment divergrrl,
They are really nice and the go well with ec. diamonds also,
What shape is your stone?

diamondsman:))

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Its a princess cut. 1.13 & I am ordering two 4.5 mm trillions @ .44 ctw...it should be really stunning! I'll have them next week , and the ring a week after that (am sending out for indie appraisal while stones are all loose)..

So now what kind of work do you do? I am interested in learning more and am taking metalsmithing classes at the art college here.

:)

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Hi divergrrl

your ring should look similar to the one in the picture, it realyy should be B e a u t i f u l, and you will enjoy it for many years .
I am really in the loose diamonds aspect of the jewelry industry not so much in the metalsmithing, even though we make up fantastic looking pieces (30 years experience, you know :bigsmile: )

when you are done with your ring post a picture of it so we can all see it.
diamondsman:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results