shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with planning a three stone ring

BlingBliss

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm a long-time lurker, rare poster. I recently bought a pair of oval alexandrites and would like to create a three stone ring with a diamond center. The alexandrites are 1 ct each, 5 x 7 mm. I need help determining what dimensions I should be looking for in the center for proper visual balance. I'm thinking somewhere in the 3 ct range, and I love chunky old cuts. I'm open to any advice or suggestions, and if you have pictures of such a alexandrite / diamond creature in the wild, I'd love to see it!

My other option is to have the alex made into earrings instead. Would you go that route?

Thanks in advance!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that the 3-stone ring sounds like a wonderful option. Finding the right balance is really about trying some things on and deciding what you think looks best on your hand.

Some people prefer diamonds which are 1/3 larger and other people prefer 1/2 larger, etc. and you might not know until you see it.

Speaking of which, I hope you'll post a picture of the finished ring because it's bound to be stunning. I've always loved alexandrites.

Earrings will also be pretty if they are set in such a way that they don't rotate on your ears.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would save the alexandrite for earrings. I don’t like to feel limited with regard to color and what matches, what clashes.
With that said, I know for an all round brill 3-stone a 2:1 ratio is a nice visual. I used to have a 1.51 ct center flanked by .75 ct on each side.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BlingBliss this sounds like a wonderful project! Do you have a budget in mind for the center stone and the finished ring? Can you also please post pics of the Alex pair?

Here is a three stone ring with oval alexandrites that a PSer has created a while back. Very pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results