shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP NEEDED - Who Can Set My Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am feeling quite depressed after speaking to my jeweler tonight. Recently I bought two LOGR rings, sized to fit precisely the center stones and my finger. So I called my local jeweler and asked him if he can set them for me. Well, he said, he needs to see the stone and the ring first, to determine if they fit each other or modification is needed. Although I assured him that the rings are custom ordered for the size of the stone, he said he can''t give me quotes before he sees them. Fair enough.

I went on to ask him how is tourmaline for rings? He replied that they scratch and chip easily.

What about garnet? I asked.

"They are the same.'' was his answer. He went on to say ''you know amethyst? THEY ARE ALL THE SAME, that''s why they are semi-precious stones. Tourmaline has a hardness of 4 to 5 and that''s why they are best suited as pendants...''

I was almost speechless, as you can imagine... I worked with him on two custom projects in the past five years, including a ring and one pendant. I also bought the mounting from his store for my red spinel ring so his work quality can be trusted. Maybe I am expecting too much color stone knowledge from a jeweler?

Any way, I need SERIOUS help to find a bench man to set my two LOGR rings (hasn''t arrived yet) I no longer feel comfortable with this jeweler. I live in Washington DC area and occasionally, I go to NYC to visit my brother. Maybe I shall spend a day in the diamond district?
20.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Yingh... So sad for you that this happened.

I was under the impression that tourmalines were 7.0-7.5. Although it''s more delicate than diamond, a experienced jeweller shouldn''t have any problem setting the stone. IMHO, I would look for someone else. Also, some jeweller''s are ''snob'', by this I mean if the setting or stones are not from them, they love to just point out what is wrong with your setting and/or stones.
38.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 11:16:01 PM
Author: mochi
Yingh... So sad for you that this happened.

I was under the impression that tourmalines were 7.0-7.5. Although it''s more delicate than diamond, a experienced jeweller shouldn''t have any problem setting the stone. IMHO, I would look for someone else. Also, some jeweller''s are ''snob'', by this I mean if the setting or stones are not from them, they love to just point out what is wrong with your setting and/or stones.
38.gif
I agree 100%. My jeweler set all of my tourmalines without any issue.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That sucks. I hope you find someone. Maybe there are some listed here on the PS forums? You might try posting in diamond hangout.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes! I''m sorry. Either that jeweller doesn''t know what he''s talking about or he just doesn''t want to do it. I wish I knew who to point you to on 47th st.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute. I do know someone on 47th st. who does good work. I''ve forgotten his name mometarily, but will be back once I recall it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome. I''d hate for someone to be upset over her gems. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that either he doesn''t really know coloured gemstones or is giving horrible excuses not to set your stone because you didn''t buy the stone or setting from his store. I''m glad Harriet has a recommendation for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results