shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed!! What is the best I can get with $7000 budget??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,
I really need your suggestion. I am going to propose and I have a budget of $7000 for the ring. Like most people I went to RB and I put a down payment for a $7200 MSID ring because of their good sales pitch.(I dont even know what MSID stands for when deciding to buy that ring). And I have to admit I didnt do much research(or maybe zero research and its my fault) before I went to RB.This is what I get for the $7200 engagement ring.
Shape:Round
Setting:6-prong
Measurement:6.54 x 6.49 x 3.75
Weight:0.96ct.
Depth:57.5%
Table:57.8%
Girdle:Thin to Medium faceted
Culet: None.
Polish:Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity:SI2
Color:H
Fluorescence:Inert
Am I paying a fair price? After I learned that there are so many online diamond stores out there, I went to one of them (Blue Nile) and find out with that price I seem to be able to get something better in terms of 4C''s.
May I ask how important role does 4C''s play when talking about diamond price?
All I want is a big dazzling diamond ring with the most sparkle and brilliance which can get me the two words I want to hear from my gf. Where can I find that ring with my $7000? Can I really trust the online shop when people always say "seeing is believing". I know my gf knows better about diamond since they are girls best friend. But I cant ask her bcz it is going to be a surprise. And I dont want her to feel I get ripped off when telling her how much I pay for the ring. I really want her to feel it is a great deal. Something she thinks it should cost more than $7000 (then I wont tell her the real price :p)
I also see someone talking about ACA H&A diamond from WF. Does that kind really give out more sparkle?
I really need some help here........I am thinking about to propose in a month........ Help!
Thank you all in advance.

Yen

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the crown and pavillion angles from the cert? The depth is very shallow! I would hazard a guess that you could do better online!

ACAs are Whiteflash''s branded cut. They are Ideal H&A cut to very high standards and they sparkle like nothing else - trust me, I am the proud owner of one!
30.gif

I will do a quick search and see what we can get you for your $7200! Not sure what metal you are looking for, so I will look at wg as plat is super expensive IMO.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that''s paying too much. Read the tutorials on here, they are very helpful.. Check out www.whiteflash.com, and www.goodoldgold.com They are execellent companies, giving you all the info and more for buying a beautiful stone.

I have bought from both. Remember CUT is key in buying a beautiful diamond. Both companies offer an upgrade program should you choose to go for that down the road.

You can also plug in your numbers at the top of PS to Pricescope your stone, to see what simialr stones are going for.

Good luck, HTH.
1.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
From Whiteflash:

Classic Tiff style 6 prong setting, can''t go wrong $775

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Classic-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_1137.htm

Leaves around $6400 for stone. Not many ACAs at the moment, but they get news ones in all the time. If you want you can give them a call or email and let them know what you are in the market for, and they may be able to let you know if they are going to get more in soon. This is how I got my stone.

I colour, but in a top cut like this, will still face up white. Not a problem at all!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-906719.htm

A gorgeous colour E, tad smaller, but lots cheaper? Maybe a consideration?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-978310.htm

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 2:20:28 AM
Author: honey22
Do you have the crown and pavillion angles from the cert? The depth is very shallow! I would hazard a guess that you could do better online!

The cert from AIG does not provide the angles. This brings me another question. How trustworthy is AIG?
Why most online stores use GIA and AGS? Does that mean those two labs are more dependable?
Btw, thanks so much for all the info. I am going to start doing my HW. Really appreciate it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2008 3:02:27 AM
Author: yenliang

Date: 6/30/2008 2:20:28 AM

The cert from AIG does not provide the angles. This brings me another question. How trustworthy is AIG?
Why most online stores use GIA and AGS? Does that mean those two labs are more dependable?
Btw, thanks so much for all the info. I am going to start doing my HW. Really appreciate it.
Here is some info on how the grading labs rank. http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 2:10:41 AM
Author:yenliang
Hi everybody,
I really need your suggestion. I am going to propose and I have a budget of $7000 for the ring. Like most people I went to RB and I put a down payment for a $7200 MSID ring because of their good sales pitch.(I dont even know what MSID stands for when deciding to buy that ring). And I have to admit I didnt do much research(or maybe zero research and its my fault) before I went to RB.This is what I get for the $7200 engagement ring.
Shape:Round
Setting:6-prong
Measurement:6.54 x 6.49 x 3.75
Weight:0.96ct.
Depth:57.5%
Table:57.8%
Girdle:Thin to Medium faceted
Culet: None.
Polish:Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity:SI2
Color:H
Fluorescence:Inert
Am I paying a fair price? After I learned that there are so many online diamond stores out there, I went to one of them (Blue Nile) and find out with that price I seem to be able to get something better in terms of 4C''s.
May I ask how important role does 4C''s play when talking about diamond price?
All I want is a big dazzling diamond ring with the most sparkle and brilliance which can get me the two words I want to hear from my gf. Where can I find that ring with my $7000? Can I really trust the online shop when people always say ''seeing is believing''. I know my gf knows better about diamond since they are girls best friend. But I cant ask her bcz it is going to be a surprise. And I dont want her to feel I get ripped off when telling her how much I pay for the ring. I really want her to feel it is a great deal. Something she thinks it should cost more than $7000 (then I wont tell her the real price :p)
I also see someone talking about ACA H&A diamond from WF. Does that kind really give out more sparkle?
I really need some help here........I am thinking about to propose in a month........ Help!

Yen
They are EVERYTHING when it comes to price.

Take the ring you have bought straight back to RB and get your money back - you can do much much better online.

For not much more than you spent I got my brother a 1.05ct H SI1 (eyeclean) with amazing cut plus a custom setting with 0.50tctw baguettes on the sides.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 2:29:07 AM
From Whiteflash:

Classic Tiff style 6 prong setting, can''t go wrong $775

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Classic-tiffany-style-Knife-Edge_1137.htm

Leaves around $6400 for stone. Not many ACAs at the moment, but they get news ones in all the time. If you want you can give them a call or email and let them know what you are in the market for, and they may be able to let you know if they are going to get more in soon. This is how I got my stone.

I colour, but in a top cut like this, will still face up white. Not a problem at all!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-906719.htm

A gorgeous colour E, tad smaller, but lots cheaper? Maybe a consideration?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-978310.htm

All good suggestions. The WF ACA''s are so amazing that even if you go a little smaller in carat weight, the stone will LOOK bigger.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also the MSID is a branded cut, these diamonds appear to be cut more shallow than a more traditional round diamond, so I would suggest maybe a traditional well cut round might offer you a more balanced performance of the fire, brilliance and scintillation that you want.

I would definitely look at the options the other ladies have posted such as the ACA's etc.

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, Several weeks ago another guy was buying a MSID diamond from RB. He returned it when he found a better cut diamond from a Pricescope vendor. If I remember right because with the shallow crown angles also gives a thinner girdle which is more prone to chipping. You can find a much better cut diamond from any Pricescope dealer or vender. The ACA diamonds are very well cut hearts and arrows diamond, I doubt you could find a better cut diamond anywhere at least not at RB. Seeing is believing but only if you know what to for. If you are not an expert or have not done some research, it can be easy to fall for some sales pitches. Please keep learning until you know what to look for, then buying sight unseen is not so daunting. Plus you can find something beautiful for a fair price. Check out the upgrade and return policies too. Pricescope venders is hard to beat. Good luck hunting!!!

yenliang

Rough_Rock
After 7-day relentlessly researching, I have finally come to my final two.
I wish someone here can help me make a decision because it is so difficult to choose between these two diamonds.
Here is the spec.

Diamond1
Table:55%(SARIN), 54.3%(OGI), 55%(GIA)
Depth:61.6%(SARIN), 60.8%(OGI), 61.4%(GIA)
Crown:34.4''(SARIN), 34.2''(OGI), 34''(GIA)
Pavilion:41''(SARIN), 41''(OGI), 40.8''
HCA:1.7(SARIN), 1.5(OGI), 1(GIA)

Diamond2
Table:56%(SARIN), 55.3%(OGI), 56.1%(AGS)
Depth:61.2%(SARIN), 61.2%(OGI), 61%(AGS)
Crown:34.8''(SARIN), 34.7''(OGI), 34.6''(AGS)
Pavilion:40.8''(SARIN), 40.9''(OGI), 40.7''(AGS)
HCA:1.4(SARIN), 1.6(OGI), 1(AGS)

They are the same in weight(1.06), color(G), clarity(SI1), even price..........can you believe it?
The major difference should be one is GIA certified Excellent cut the other is AGS certified Ideal0 cut.
And the other difference would be, though both are graded SI1, diamond1 has a single medium-size cloud near the center of the table while diamond2 has tiny feathers and crystals kinda spread over the stone.
Should I choose AGS over GIA because I saw ppl writing that AGS lab seems to be stricter than GIA??
Can anyone tell me except those physical measurement what else I should look into to help me make the final decision?
Also diamond1 is cut by Tolkowvsky. Does that mean anything in future value? And diamond1 also has a GEMEX report showing brilliance and fire graded to the right-most of the bar and sparkle in the middle of Very High section.
I also got a question during my research. How well are HCA and GEMEX correlated since they both are tools to grade brilliance, fire and sparkle?
Btw, the ASET image of the two stones both look very similar to me..............
The more research I do, the more questions I have.....................
Again, I think its about time to call HELP!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
these sounds like GOG stones???
#1- i love stones cut by Tolkowvsky.
30.gif
their factory usually cut smaller tables + true H&A.
36.gif

did you get a refund on the first stone?

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the new recommendations. That was very nice.
But it would be even better if someone can help me choose between the two I listed and tell me why.
What I''ve learned from the new reply are Tolkolwsky is good and eyeclean is important.
I am very likely to pick one of the two diamonds I listed.
But of course if there is a better one I still would take it.
So I guess the next thing I shall do is to ask the sales rep if the two diamonds appear to be eyeclean to him, right?
I am pretty new to this forum and I really appreciate what I''ve learned in this place.
Wish one day I can also contribute what I have learned from you guys to someone else.

Thanks!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Can you please link us to those stones in order to make an informed choice. We really need more info, ie. most of us will actually want to see those IS images, etc before advising which is our preference.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I find the title of your post refreshing in that you want the "best" for your money, not the "biggest." You''ve got a healthy budget which can get you a high quality diamond and setting in a classy size. A simple, low-set style will look more elegant and high-end than a busy ring with the stone set high in order to appear larger or more prominent.

BTW, if she really loves you, you will hear the words you want regardless of the ring you present!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 2:28:12 AM

But it would be even better if someone can help me choose between the two I listed and tell me why.

What I''ve learned from the new reply are Tolkolwsky is good and eyeclean is important.

So I guess the next thing I shall do is to ask the sales rep if the two diamonds appear to be eyeclean to him, right?

I am pretty new to this forum and I really appreciate what I''ve learned in this place.

Wish one day I can also contribute what I have learned from you guys to someone else.

Thanks!

My advise is to reserve both diamonds your considering and post links :) that way no lurkers can snatch either away.

Also in terms of eyeclean you really need to talk to the vendor as they will be in the best position to advise you just be really clear and upfront of what your expectations of eyeclean are :).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 2:28:12 AM

Thanks!
Without seeing the Idealscope pics on these, what I can say is, they could both be lovely. The first one has a pavilion angle that is at the edge, and that''s why an IS pic would be really helpful here. Chances are, it''s fine, especially if it is a GOG stone.

If I had to pick one without an IS, I''d go with the second stone, just because the angles are safer.

Other than the angles, you''ve got a very nice size, and a great color/clarity combo. However, you do need to ask if they are eyeclean, that may be the deciding factor for you (if one isn''t). And make sure you tell the vendor what that means to you. If you don''t want to see anything from any distance or angle, be sure to tell them that.
28.gif

As has been mentioned, posting links to the stones would help us help you better. If you''re worried about someone snatching one, just ask to have the stones reserved first, then that can''t happen!

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Here they are. Which one would you pick?
Really need some opinions from you guys.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4346/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4471/

I am going crazy.................
Please help me make the final decision.
I can only reserve them for a week.
So your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Go for the first one! The first link you posted! its a winner!

aren''t you glad you did a bit of home work now?? You are going to get a much nicer diamond!

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
darn, I have my eyes on #1.

I am eying #1 in case my solasfera doesn''t work for me.

#1 will be a very nice stone. Do show the ring when you receive it.
28.gif

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 1:34:53 AM
Author: lasscreative
Go for the first one! The first link you posted! its a winner!

aren't you glad you did a bit of home work now?? You are going to get a much nicer diamond!

It is truly wonderful to learn so much about diamonds. I almost feel I can go applying for a job in a diamond store.....
9.gif

I realized the more you learn about it, the better you know how to appreciate the beauty of it.
Diamond is one of the most fascinating minerals in the world in my opinion. And whoever invented those spectacular cut and whoever executed those cut perfectly are truly geniuses of the world. They have made diamonds jump out from mineralogy category to art. They make a plain stone become a shining star!
But with all those understanding, I still can't make a choice between these two stones.......shame on me....
15.gif

yenliang

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 2:39:46 AM
Author: lovegem
darn, I have my eyes on #1.

I am eying #1 in case my solasfera doesn''t work for me.

#1 will be a very nice stone. Do show the ring when you receive it.
28.gif

Any particular reason why #1?
would like to learn something about the decision making process
34.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Those stones are both gorgeous. They are on hold so we can''t see the prices anymore. Some people have a preference for certain angles but the difference is probably very subtle. The first one is a tiny bit bigger so that would have been my choice.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are both gorgeous stones, in fact, they''d make a great pair of studs!
9.gif
You could flip a coin at this point and not go wrong, seriously. There will be no visual difference in size. As mentioned, price might dictate a decision, but I bet they''re really close, if not the same.

So, to decide which one I''d pick, I looked at how tight the pavillions were cut, and the first one is really tight, tighter than mine in fact.
25.gif
(that''s not to say the other is bad, it is not, we are splitting hairs here to make a decision!) So that gets my vote!
2.gif
IF it is eyeclean.

yenliang

Rough_Rock
How about this one compare with the two I posted?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1148574.htm

It cost about $130 more than the two but it is also 0.4 carat heavier than those two.

Would 1.1 carat and 1.06 carat show big difference in size?

Is this one any better than the two I posted previously?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Most people can discern a 0.1mm size difference in similar stones placed side by side. So yes, it would look a little bigger, but if you never saw them together, you''d never know. I think you have excellent options to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results