shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed-- too much blue?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizsteve

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody!

Is Very Strong Blue, too much blue? I''ve read every post on PriceScope that I can find on fluorescence but am still not sure where to draw the line: Medium Blue, Strong Blue, or Very Strong Blue?

The background is ... I''m ready to propose so it''s time for a diamond. My main goal is a diamond that is brilliant, sparkles and throws fire. My girlfriend recently mentioned she would love to have one which occasionally sparkles blue, or glows in different bluish hues. She would have fun walking around watching her ring turn different shades. To her, this is a bonus, giving her ring it’s personality, but the diamond still needs to have the qualities one would expect from it. To be clear and ice white most of the time -- playing proper role of engagement ring.

I''ve done enough reading on here to be intrigued by experts and diamond lovers who have posted about having Strong Blue Fluorescence. Some have had high color grades (D, E) in an attempt at a “Blue-White”. Many (but not all) have said the disadvantageous are more myth than reality.

I found a diamond via Pricescope that is a bit over 1ct. It’s an E SI1 with GIA Excellent cut. Symmetry and Polish are EX/VG. I ran the HCA numbers and found a Total Visual Performance of 0.9. It’s just outside AGS 0. It has Very Strong Blue Fluorescence. The SI1 inclusions shown are a crystal center of table and a little one on the side. Comments are “clouds and internal graining not shown”

I was about to buy it as soon as the call center opened this morning but thought better of it and decided I need some help. What do you think? Is Very Strong Blue too much? On an E stone, will this level of fluorescence take away from the “brilliance”, transparency, or other great qualities of the diamond? Is the chance of milkiness stronger or of the diamond looking dark and ugly outside? Will the fluorescence bring out the existing clouds and internal graining that would otherwise go unnoticed? Should I be looking for a Strong Blue or a Medium Blue instead? Is it possible to know before seeing the diamond?

I know I can order the diamond and return it, but I don’t want to waste the sellers time unless it seems to be a good move.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a million.

37.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A negative affect from VS is actually pretty rare. Have the vendor take it out in the bright sunshine and give it a good look to see if anything shows up. If not, you should be good to go! (assuming you trust the vendor''s opinion)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 11:59:39 AM
Author: Ellen
A negative affect from VS is actually pretty rare. Have the vendor take it out in the bright sunshine and give it a good look to see if anything shows up. If not, you should be good to go! (assuming you trust the vendor''s opinion)
Ditto. It is always prudent to check with a vendor concerning strong to very strong blue, but to be fairly confident there won''t be a problem.

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
I know fluorescence can make a lower color diamond appear whiter, but you have to remember that in UV light it will have a lilac hue.

This is my 1.15ct RB SI2, color I with strong blue fluorescence. You decide.

The diamond is extremely clean and white face up, with no milkiness....but when it hits the sunlight...
7.gif

doodles.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one word:
yummy!!!
I would love a diamond that did that
36.gif
36.gif

doodles.JPG

bizsteve

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 12:46:51 PM
Author: merlinthecat
I know fluorescence can make a lower color diamond appear whiter, but you have to remember that in UV light it will have a lilac hue.

This is my 1.15ct RB SI2, color I with strong blue fluorescence. You decide.

The diamond is extremely clean and white face up, with no milkiness....but when it hits the sunlight...
7.gif
Thanks everyone for replies so far. I''ll follow-up with a vendor tomorrow.

Merlingthecat, you put a sad smilie. Does that mean you don''t like the lilac hue?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results