shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed to decide between diamonds

S00ntobeengaged

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm in need of some help deciding between these two diamonds. Both cost about the same, but I'm wondering which is the better diamond in terms of how much it will sparkle? I'm not sure how to look at the distribution of black and white reflection of the diamonds. If someone could explain that to me, that would be wonderful. Please note that we've purchased the 1.52 carat F colour diamond. However, we may be looking into a swap if the 1.56 E colour is better.

Links below. Thanks!

1.52 F colour cushion cut

1.56 E colour cushion cut

S00ntobeengaged

Rough_Rock
Hi @vintageinjune , thanks for your reply! I'm sorry I took so long to reply. I was waiting to see if anyone else had any ideas! Since posting, I've read a lot of articles and watched many videos online. I also talked to a helpful JA consultant, and a few others around about it. See below for a summary!

1.52ct: Better facets size, less light leakage than 1.56, more fire and brilliance, but more visible graining (i.e., makes the diamond look cloudier)

1.56ct : Better colour grade, size, cut (table and depth), less visible graining, but some light leakage under the table

Overall, the difference between both diamonds will be almost imperceptible to the naked eye. 1.56ct had better specs and was most consistently recommended. However, 1.52 had better sparkle and therefore that was what I went with - also because my soon to be fiancé had formed an emotional attachment to it already while picking it.

I just checked again this morning and it seems like the 1.56ct was snapped up overnight!

Thanks for your help @vintageinjune ! Though I would have loved to hear the thoughts from more people! :) Hope the above breakdown and links to the diamond videos could help someone else!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for coming back and sharing that breakdown! Glad I wasn't wrong about the light leakage. Sparkle/fire is my favorite aspect of diamonds, so that makes sense that I liked the 1.52 better.

Congratulations on your engagement! Do come back with pictures of the final ring if you are able. =) I know I'd love to see the diamond set.

S00ntobeengaged

Rough_Rock
Hi @vintageinjune , thank you! My fiancé proposed a week ago so I'm back to show you a picture of it! :D

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.21.44 pm.png

Would you by any chance know anything about the process of sending it back to JA in the US for cleaning/ servicing from Australia?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @vintageinjune , thank you! My fiancé proposed a week ago so I'm back to show you a picture of it! :D

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.21.44 pm.png

Would you by any chance know anything about the process of sending it back to JA in the US for cleaning/ servicing from Australia?

Oh my, that is gorgeous! Congratulations on your engagement, your ring is spectacular.

Sadly, I don't know anything about JA in terms of cleaning and servicing from Australia - honestly might be best to find someone locally to clean and inspect, and only send it back to JA if a repair needs to be made.

S00ntobeengaged

Rough_Rock
@vintageinjune Thank you! We are so happy, and I'm so in love with it!

Great advice! Will do that and probably get a loupe to inspect it on my own too!

Thank you so much for being part of this process! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results