shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sibyll15

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I have had the offer of a diamond soliatire ring in a white gold setting. It is about 8 years old and came originally from America. It has an EGL rating which is as follows:
1.51 ct, round brilliant, color F, clarity 11, Measurements 7.12 - 7.06 x 4.5mm
Depth 63.6, Table 61.0, Crown 13.7, Pavilion 42.1, Girdle Medium to thick faceted, Polish good, Symmetry Good, Fluorescense strong blue, cutlet none.
The asking price is £1550 which I thought was very good for a stone that big, I would be interested to hear what you think. The problem is that the stone has no sparkle and looks for all the world like a lump of glass. The seller is 100% genuine and we tried to wash it in warm, soapy water but it still made no difference. We also held it under a variety of different lights but there was none of that sparkle that I thought was charactoristic of diamonds. It was definitely a diamond as I scratched a small, handbag mirror that I had with me. So my questions are - is this dull fish look what you would expect from a stone with 11 clarity? What do you think of the price?
I have never owned a diamond before and this ring would be an engagement ring for me. Approaching 60 rapidly, I have finally found Mr Right and I do not want the wrong ring!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Sibyll

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on finding Mr. Right! :) The stone sounds as though it may not be cut well. I'm not an expert, and many others can weigh in on their thoughts as well, but the dimensions seem a little off. It seems a little small for a 1.5carat from the dimensions you gave, the depth seems a little steep when combined with the table dimensions.

Diamonds definitely should shine, sparkle, scintillate, have fire, the list goes on. The I1 clarity should not necessarily make the diamond look lifeless, but rather if it was a well cut stone with the right amount of sparkle, it might help to mask some of the imperfections within the stone. Does it look like a fairly clean I1 or can you see many inclusions within the stone?

I am sure others will respond, but I would suggest..if you think this is a great deal (sounds like it could be for the price), look into getting the stone recut. If you start out with a 1.5c you might end up with a 1c or maybe higher depending on what the cutter can do with it. Maybe it just needs some depth shaved off, in which case you could salvage much of the original carat weight, and end up with a 1.25c+ excellently cut stone with much sparkle and fire.

If you don't want to have it recut, I would almost say to pass. It sounds like a great deal pricewise, but if you say that it has no life to it, why get it? Even a smaller stone that sparkles like the dickens would be preferable I would think over a large piece of glass. Plus add in the I1 clarity..though this could be debatable.

My two cents..good luck! :)

sibyll15

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara!
your advice is much appreciated! Whatever ring I end up with as you say I am so lucky to have found the lovely man! I lived with an 'unlovely' man for 24 years and I know a treasure when I see one!
On the certificate, there was a diagram where there were endless little, red blobs all around the stone and then a sort of line running parallel to the girdle that must mean some kind of fault too I guess! With the naked eyes and mine are not that keen really I could see none of the little black bits that are on some of the web pictures. :read: As I am unaccustomed to looking for these it does not mean that they were not there!
Hope wherever you are in the world you are having fun! I am in England and it is freezing cold and snowing!
Best Wishes
Sibyll

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results