shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed. Looking for prices for Harry Winston rings

tony101322

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
First of all thanks for reading and Happy New Year.

I am a very typical kind of guy. I don't make a lot so I have a limited budget of around 10-15k. I am looking to buy an engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend in a few months and just started shopping around. Just want to see if you guys have any tips. I know with this amount of money I won't be getting a very good sized ring from HW, but I am looking for something around 1ct. Do you think it is possible?

Also I think the answer is no, but do you know if there is any room for negotiations at this price range?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Tony

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think your best bet is to go to Harry Winston in person. Must it be an original Harry Winston? The prosumers here can get you quite close with quality just as good or at least as close as the budget will allow.

tony101322

Rough_Rock
I know she likes HW and therefore i am trying to see if I can get a HW.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1452043918|3971366 said:
Then go to HW :wink2:
Or find a cheaper GF... :devil: :lol:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
If you gotta have a tissue does it have to be Kleenex your just paying for a name

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nevermind.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
come on guys ... help him out. He needs to understand.. he can get a ring that looks just like HW without the cost or paying for the brand name.

Do you know if your girlfriend likes the HW style?? Or if she a very brand focused girl? If its not the latter the folks on the fourum can help you get quite a nice ring for your budget.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you let the experts here advice you, you can get more diamond as well as a nice setting for your money. Could be something to consider. You could visit HW and ask what you can get for your money. Than come back for advice here and decide what's the best thing to do.

You will not see the HW brand name on the ring. What matters most is the best diamond and setting for your money.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid 10-15k puts 1ct from HW well out of reach.

I also strongly suggest talking to your partner about whether branding or the piece itself (regardless of designer) is most important: there is no wrong answer, but the end results will be very different depending on which path you choose.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendylynne|1452080385|3971553 said:
come on guys ... help him out. He needs to understand.. he can get a ring that looks just like HW without the cost or paying for the brand name.

Do you know if your girlfriend likes the HW style?? Or if she a very brand focused girl? If its not the latter the folks on the fourum can help you get quite a nice ring for your budget.

I know Wendy. I don't want to be a downer, and he didn't ask ask for alternatives or options. Maybe some people NEED to have the HW name ON THE RING. Who am I to say?

Dear original poster, if you are interested in fine quality, hand forged, (no casting) custom platinum settings from pave masters, and super-ideal cut diamonds with top light performance, all within your budget, come back and let us know. You can get a version of the HW famed halo, and not sacrifice on anything but the name. Of course, lots of PSers would rather have these artists than HW, for the same price. Good luck!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Agreed that you need to find out actual Harry Winston prices from HW. Then have a serious talk with your girlfriend about whether she'd want the brand name ring, or maximize your budget with a totally custom ring made just for her by a different jeweler, with likely a larger center stone than could be gotten from HW. The Emilya halo from Victor Canera springs to mind: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/the-emilya-halo-solitaire but there are other options, too, all that can work with your budget. Welcome and good luck! :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know if you two might be amenable to a pre-owned ring, her setting preference or ring size, but True Facet has a 18K white gold, HW solitaire ring set with a I.15 ct. diamond that's reportedly I in color, VVS in clarity; ring size 5; recently marked down to $9,000 from the original asking price (not new retail "sticker price") of $13,000.
https://www.truefacet.com/harry-winston-diamond-ring-18k-white-gold.html

I would trust True Facet's assessment of its authenticity, but this particular ring doesn't seem to have the original HW paperwork & packaging altho' that should be clarified with them, if you are interested in the ring.

tony101322

Rough_Rock
Sorry I was away from computer. Thanks for all your responses. I don't think there is a way to respond to each of the posts? I will just respond with summarized ans.

- Yes she did mention that she likes HW a lot because they are not like Tiffany which is overpriced a lot, she thinks HW is fairly priced although quite expensive. She also likes their design and styles. I don't have a lot of knowledge on this matter but is HW just like Tiffany which sells things overpriced?
- I am more than happy to listen to all you experts here. I am just trying to find the right ring which I can afford to propose to my girl. Therefore if you have any suggestions I am more than happy to listen and get eduacted
-I asked for a quote and I think the best quote I got was a F, VS1, 1ct classic diamond ring at HW.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate this.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So your girl is cost conscious. Good start. Some questions to help us help you.

How much did HW quote you for the F, Vs1, (I'm assuming it's GIA. Please correct me if its not.). What kind of setting was it? (I assume the price includes the setting.)

What style of setting does your girl want? Can you post pics?

Do you have specific diamond specs you want or just most beautiful eye clean stone for your budget? For example, some people are happy if they can't see the inclusions without a loupe at 6 inches. Some people NEED at least VS. which usually means you need a loupe to see the inclusions.

Is she / you color sensitive. Do you need above a certain color or are you ok with H and above? When you guys went ring shopping what kind of stones do you like the most?

What shape of diamond?

Settings - since she wants Hw, Sounds like the setting is important. Does she like halos? Solitaires with diamonds in the shank? Three stone? Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, Leon Mege, Mark at Brilliantly Engaged do really nice hand forged platinum work. Caysie Van Beber does great cast work. Settings range from $3k-$6k depending on the setting. If course all hand made, no casting if that is what you want. I find that with handmade pieces, the metal can be minimized so all you get is diamond sparkle.

I am biased for Victor Canera because he did my piece and the work is so stunning I stare at it daily. Makes concentrating on anything else ver difficult. Here is a link to a thread that captures a lot of his pieces.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/

I am sure others will link to their favorite vendors. With Victor You can get your super ideal cut stone from him too and get a discount on the setting if you get both with him. He's super easy to work with, professional and responsive but totally NOT pushy.

F VS2. (He has a F VS1 just over 1 carat. Look on his website.)
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ta2rhs-1.142-f-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

Super ideal cuts are amazing. Seen them IRL. I'll admit. I liked it better than my GIA 3x, which I bought before PS.

Emily's halo setting. ($4-$5k, not sure which. You need to ask victor for pricing. Super casual guy.mmjust call him. He often picks up.)
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

This is just a start. Check out all the different settings on his website. Lots of PSes have them. You'll see them on the summary thread.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's more than one way to go here, as indicated above. For name brand pieces the secondhand market can be a great option. For example, there's a 1CTW emerald cut with baguettes on eBay for $19k. I'm not saying you do or don't use eBay - you'd certainly want all paperwork and to have it authenticated. I only checked in for a nanosecond, but assume for the sake of argument that the person listing it did their homework and it's appropriately priced. You could probably spend some time searching and find an option near the top of your budget. To ME the style is iconic HW, but if your GF is thinking of the halo styles a very high quality ring "inspired by HW style" may be the way to go.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor Canera

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

top quality diamonds (better than what you'll find at most of the high end brands)

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/m0edye-1.293-h-vs1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/8uq4h9-1.230-h-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/60v1fd-1.208-f-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

She just needs to understand that the HW brand may mean a 3/4 ct diamond, whereas she could get a stone close to 1.25 and equal to better quality if she goes the custom route with someone the caliber of Victor.

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
When I started looking, HW was the most laughably overpriced store out there. They wanted $175,000 for a 2ct pear shaped ring with two small side stones. To put that into perspective, I tried on a giant 5 ct princess cut at Bachendorfs for the exact same price. Yes, I'm sure the stones had different stats but still... I would only buy HW if I needed to say that the ring is a HW. Which anyone can claim since there are so many HW inspired rings out there. Part of the markup is their restriction on stones...they will only set DEF color stones and low clarity (I forget the exact range) but there's a big premium for the brand name as well.

It sounded nice when we initially started shopping but I easily decided I'd rather have twice as big of a stone for the money than a brand name I only get to mention when asked. And if you have to go with a much less impressive stone to get the brand name...is anyone going to ask?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results