shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed! Keep changing my mind on setting for AVC

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Have any of you ever kept changing your mind in picking a setting? I mean - changed it from day to day? I recently purchased a beautiful 1.66 L SI1 AVC and I just can't seem to pick which direction I should go in. I am starting to feel like a politician flip-flopping on big issues :-o

I have seen so many beautiful rings on this site for inspiration. I especially love all of the beautiful French Cut diamond settings that have been displayed on this site. But, I also am drawn to elegant solitaire settings.

I sent my AVC off to VC last week. He just informed me that he received the stone and now he is just patiently waiting for me to make up my mind. I was zeroing in on a uniform width channel set band with French Cuts diamonds, milgrain edges etc. Now that I actually have to make a decision, I keep looking at beautiful simple solitaire settings with a little Edwardian flair to them. I keep thinking to myself that maybe the AVC needs to be the thing to shine the most for me. I also wonder with my somewhat casual lifestyle if an elaborate setting would be over the top for me.

I guess my questions for all of you are ...

1. Did any of you go for a more elaborate setting and then live to regret it so to speak? or vice versa?

2. Do you think my money would be better spent on an elegant solitaire now that I can add a band to later? (if I go for the french cut one I would not wear a band).

3. How did you all finally make a decision?

I am so confused. :???:

Here is a picture of the AVC I purchased

DSCF5582.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been in your exact shoes, hence the reason it's taken so long for me to figure out what to do with my OMB. I have no advice, since I've been so unsure of what to do, but I'm erring on the side of "if you love it, that's all that matters"....even if the style you chose is a little elaborate for your lifestyle....good luck making a decision! VC does such lovely work that no matter which setting you get, it will be gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am no help which is why I always suggest a $250 simple solitaire so you can take you time deciding ;))

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am no help which is why I always suggest a $250 simple solitaire so you can take you time deciding ;))

That's what I suggest and that's what I did as well.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Since Victor has the stone in hand, ask what he sees working for it's shape and personality?

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
I guess I should have had it set into a cheap solitaire instead of sending it right out. :errrr: Victor does have the stone. He sent me some pics of a work in progress of the french cut band to give me an idea of what a uniform band would look like and he said that my stone would look great in it. I just sent him a note letting him know that I was wavering on the setting. I am going to think about things some more this weekend.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a 5 stone with tapering french cut baguettes?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kept mine in a 250 temp setting for 4 years until I could decide. If you can't chose, don't force it! It will come eventually!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Haven't read your whole thread yet MM, but I do have the tapered French cut setting from Victor. Honestly, it's not a super in your face elaborate setting- it lets the center stone shine way more than any other setting this rock has been in. You look straight down at my hand and it's all OEC baby! You really only see the French cuts if you look directly at the side. So no- absolutely NO regrets here. The setting is very delicate- way more so than you'll expect- and yet ridiculously sturdy which was what I needed out of a setting. It was worth absolutely ever penny, and it's for sure the Forever Setting.

And it took me, oh, a freaking YEAR to decide on it. I realized that the setting I had was falling apart pretty quick. Then I started looking around. Then I started changing my mind over, and over, and over. I didn't really decide on what I wanted until I saw LoveStreet's similarly-low-colored center stone with the matched low-color Frenchies. And then I still dragged my feet for awhile. Because I'm wishy-washy and decide things sllooooowwwlllly. Very slowly.

Mostly, I had a list of criteria I needed in a setting: protects the ex-thin girdle, check. Doesn't have melee to provide an unattractive contrast and/or fall out, check. Has engraving, check. Cool profile view, check. Millgrain, check. You don't have quite the same limitations with your modern cut, I guess. And I *know* I like elaborate settings and don't care for solitaires. It's just you know, a matter of deciding which one. ;)) :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results