shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed- is the quote I’ve received over inflated? Am I better going somewhere else?

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Hi, @yungAppetite :wavey:

There is a "whisper thin" 3-stone & a ring with round center stone and baguette side stones on RC's website, but I'm not seeing a "whisper thin setting with tapered baguettes" depicted on the site.
RingConcierge Jan 2020.png

So although I can't comment on the setting that's apparently captured your GF's fancy, I'd say that the standard round with baguette side stones is unremarkable; as I see it, the only distinctive aspect of the ring shown in this pic is a negative attribute, the sloppy prong placement: RingConcierge round with baguettes Jan 2020.png

FYI: Ring Concierge's settings are all cast, not hand-forged -- see The seven steps of crafting a Ring Concierge engagement ring toward the bottom of this "puff piece" re RC:

I have no idea what the price range of RC settings are (I assume the stated starting price of $12,000 refers to a complete ring, not the setting alone?!), but Steven Kirsch in NYC offers a more graceful rendition of a classic baguette setting -- his Trio Ring R-0153 -- that would be entirely hand-forged by him personally -- and he's a really nice guy with excellent customer service; will work with a center stone you bring to him or source the stone for you. Clicking on the link below will take you directly to the page for the Trio Ring setting:

Thank you so much for the thorough response. Yes, the 3-stone design. Again, untrained eye what about these prong placements is sloppy?

from what I can tell, the setting itself is about $2k. Simple settings are about $1,500, the 3 stone is 5k but that includes the stones.

Will definitely check out your placements... this search is about to go into overdrive due to timeline. Thanks re: puff piece- I haven’t found this one but there are multiple out there which is concerning. Next step is researching the benefits of hand forged vs cast.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Thanks! They only deal in excellent cuts- but what I’m gathering from your comments... super ideal is one step above. My timeline is making me a bit concerned given the responses and feedback, so I’m leaning towards finding someone to procure and set the stone, or am hoping for a strong endorsement for a local dealer. I’d like to see the stone in person- nothing against buying online- I just don’t think I will know enough to feel comfortable going through the cycles of inspection (and time) that comes with the online purchasing. Feel free to correct me!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I can say I have worked with all the vendors your are being pointed to DK, VC, SK, and LM. If your girl likes the thin shank look I would strongly recommend going with an Asprey shank. They are "pinched" in towards the top and weighted at the bottom to prevent spinning. This is popular technique. If you are wanting someone in NYC both LM and SK make lovely pieces, though I have had an easier time with SK.
1579014770342.png

I like the design well enough that I recently did it again with a ruby. DK did a solid job.

You can do asprey shanks with other side stones or without sides. Just a thought.

Attachments

• 1579013031514.png
    1579013031514.png
    107 KB · Views: 38

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s so fixated on how dainty that setting is, and hasn’t liked the setting from any other jeweler because of the bulkiness. I’m beginning to think I should just go with a single mounted stone with a more secure setting

I would show her this thread or just talk to her about the issues - that if she gets this ring, or another super delicate one, she's going to have to be much more careful when wearing it than a lot of rings. Her expectations of wear should guide setting choice. I got three-sided pave on my engagement ring, which is stupidly delicate, but I only wear my ring when I'm out seeing people or have guests over, and rarely at work and never when just doing random stuff, so my ring has held up well. I knew when I got engaged that while I love jewelry, I don't actually wear it much, so I could go for a ring style that isn't tolerant of being worn much. That it's delicate isn't an automatic "no" - it is a "talk about her expectations of how she will wear the ring and the longevity of her setting" warning. (And, of course, please insure it no matter what, but especially if it's a more delicate style.)

Here is a thread of Steven Kirsch's work so you can see that it's pretty delicate:

Here is his website:

I am recommending him specifically because he does hand-forged settings, which make the metal slightly stronger than cast settings. Just like you will talk to your girlfriend about her expectations of her wear style, convey those to the jeweler and ask for his recommendations to get a delicate look but durability. He will be able to find you amazing diamonds or you could order from an ideal cut vendor like Whiteflash or someone. He is located in NYC I believe so you will be able to visit him.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here's a thread that may be helpful....the poster received a similarly delicate setting which started to bend after very little use. unless your girlfriend is someone who would only wear the ring on special occasions i'd try to find a thin but tall option like cokitty shared or if her heart is set on this one make a budget for future repairs

to your original question based on your estimates i do think the setting prices are steep, you are paying a premium for the popularity as is the case with lots of brands that are heavily marketed (tiffany, etc.)

whatever you choose, congrats on your pending engagement!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With a setting that thin I would suggest going with a vendor that will do a wire forged setting, mine ring is very thin and that is the route I went due to it is stronger then cast settings. For mine I used David Klass but he is in LA, he does wonderful work

This is a great option, gives you that 3ct spread but it is an H, I would ask for a video comparison against a G

This one would be my second choice as its so close to a 9mm spread but it is a bit out of budget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to confirm what others have said. RC settings are not high quality and they definitely will have problems down the road as daily wear rings due to being extremely thin. 1.8mm is very thin and the minimum I would consider. 2mm is still thin and even better. If she wants side baguettes and you want to use someone in NYC, then I'd also recommend Steven Kirsch. But never in a million years would I have a ring maker source the stone, with a couple of exceptions like Victor Canera who stocks ideal cuts or Caysie van Bebber who sources antique and specialty cuts at times.

WhiteFlash is extremely reputable and many of us here have their ACA superideal cut diamonds. If they don't have exactly what you want, they can maybe get something in. If you are interested in high quality and don't want to have to do a lot of diamond viewing and returning, this is the way to go. See kkjohnson's post above mine for links to a couple of stones.

If you only will buy a diamond in NYC, try ID Jewelry and tell them you have been on Pricescope and you want a top cut quality diamond and the specs you are hoping for. It won't be superideal like Whiteflash, but they usually try for nice cut diamonds for PS members. You can show us the GIA report before finalizing to get opinions on the stone. I think both Steven Kirsch and IDJ are in the diamond district and likely close to each other.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
although @DanniiD didnt recommend RC due to their poor customer service skills, she seemed to have no issues that she reported with the thin shank design at all.
It’d be curious to know if that’s still the case?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chiming in again. For the amount of money you are spending and the color criteria you want, I think both you and your dear one need to be looking at diamonds. I really hope you look at a superideal versus a near superideal. I hope you can understand what you love in a diamond cut, color and size. If you haven’t looked at G, versus, F versus E color for example, you should too. ID jewelry is a trusted vendor for pulling in diamonds within a budget. They are patient and helpful. I wanted to re-mention Lauren B because they, like IDJ, are in NYC and they specialize in thin, youthful, trendy settings, please check out their Insta to see if they might be appealing. Part of the appeal of settings for a young couple is are that they -are- fresh and trendy! Steven Kirsch isn’t trendy, he is a pave expert and hand forging artisan and does classic, elegant, heirloom quality settings. This may or may not be what your dear one wants. FYI according to a previous thread on here Lauren B also has a trade in policy and you might be able to negotiate buy back. If you like their settings (thin) it is worth talking to them about diamonds. White Flash of course already has trade in policies and they apply to their Premium Select diamonds as well as their ACA (superideal) cut diamonds.

I guess what I’m saying is, I’d try to educate yourself on your diamond parameters, Look at diamonds. Figure out what you love. Find your diamond. At the same time visit at least two trusted setting vendors and look at and try on their settings in person. Then decide on the setting vendor. Good luck!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
although @DanniiD didnt recommend RC due to their poor customer service skills, she seemed to have no issues that she reported with the thin shank design at all.
It’d be curious to know if that’s still the case?

It’s only been two years so I don’t know if any issues would have had time to crop up.

For reference, here is the thread where she (and others) discuss the customer service experience they had with RC:

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also in NYC is Alex Park of Parks Fine Group, whose thin and elegant settings can only be accessed by buying a diamond with him. He sells many one of a kind antique and modern cut stones, which to my eye are far better cut and actually antique versus what Ring Concierge offers (from what I’ve seen, I think RC stones are mostly modern “old cuts”). Prices are very good and craftsmanship is beautiful at Parks Fine Group.

If you haven’t handled and looked at Antique Cuts, I suggest doing so.

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had consid
I wanted to re-mention Lauren B because they, like IDJ, are in NYC and they specialize in thin, youthful, trendy settings, please check out their Insta to see if they might be appealing.

Lauren B had a pop up shop in Dallas and I was less then impressed with them, I felt the sales person was snooty and even criticized my ring (not sure if they thought this was going to gain them business or not). I had gone because I was wishing to reset my stones anyways but when they started bashing it was a major turnoff for me wishing to do business with them. Their setting cost are also over priced, I had my stones and they wanted to charge me the same I had paid for when I first bought them, instead of just a resetting fee. It was disappointing even though they do have lovely settings.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
So much continual support. Thank you everyone! Definitely feeling a little overwhelmed- need to get this sorted in the next 2-3 weeks. I’ve reached out to SK, LM, LB for appointments ASAP and will probably keep my 2nd RC appointment to test/gauge some of their Responses.

I appreciate the quick tl;dr on hand forged being stronger than cast. Where does wire forged fall on this spectrum, or any perks? My next batch of research.

Also, seeing some of these mounts that have 6 prongs or what appears to be 8 prongs (4 sets of forked prongs) but this looks too heavy IMO. Is this foolish?

Also good to know that the person who got their RC ring is overall satisfied, but I still have my concerns. I’m hesitant to ask GF much more detail about intentions of wearing etc- she’s getting suspicious and I still have the element of surprise. We work day jobs but she loves her rings- wears them every day- so I expect this to be no different.

I just found out she went to LaurenB, so I’m going to compare and pull the “profile” they have on her, if nothing else. She thought LaurenB’s setting was way too bulky and was only considering a single stone after- so if that’s too bulky at 1.8mm, I’m thinking everything else will be too and it boils down to single stone or RC 3 stone, which feels... risky. I also like her in gold better than platinum- she always wears gold and I think it fits her more- she would only want gold in a single stone setting.

So, the diamond hunt begins and I hope to narrow via everyone’s local recommendations (thank you again)! Any other in-person dealer (consolidator?) recommendations are welcome... I love the UI and videos for whiteflash, but I don’t think I have the comfort level/experience/eye to choose the diamond unless the idea is to buy straight by the numbers/grading/stats and disregard the rest. This is the next batch of research to do.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Also, while I’m here, talking to the experts, and falling in love with the whiteflash diamonds... am I putting too much emphasis on color? I know color is very important to her. When I saw a G and H next to an F, especially when viewing from the side on a single stone ring, the yellow-ish tent was an instant no-go for me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So much continual support. Thank you everyone! Definitely feeling a little overwhelmed- need to get this sorted in the next 2-3 weeks. I’ve reached out to SK, LM, LB for appointments ASAP and will probably keep my 2nd RC appointment to test/gauge some of their Responses.

Also, seeing some of these mounts that have 6 prongs or what appears to be 8 prongs (4 sets of forked prongs) but this looks too heavy IMO. Is this foolish?

Also good to know that the person who got their RC ring is overall satisfied, but I still have my concerns. I’m hesitant to ask GF much more detail about intentions of wearing etc- she’s getting suspicious and I still have the element of surprise. We work day jobs but she loves her rings- wears them every day- so I expect this to be no different.

I just found out she went to LaurenB, so I’m going to compare and pull the “profile” they have on her, if nothing else. She thought LaurenB’s setting was way too bulky and was only considering a single stone after- so if that’s too bulky at 1.8mm, I’m thinking everything else will be too and it boils down to single stone or RC 3 stone, which feels... risky. I also like her in gold better than platinum- she always wears gold and I think it fits her more- she would only want gold in a single stone setting.

So, the diamond hunt begins and I hope to narrow via everyone’s local recommendations (thank you again)! Any other in-person dealer (consolidator?) recommendations are welcome... I love the UI and videos for whiteflash, but I don’t think I have the comfort level/experience/eye to choose the diamond unless the idea is to buy straight by the numbers/grading/stats and disregard the rest. This is the next batch of research to do.

If you have to have the ring IN HAND in the next 2-3 weeks, you will want to go with a stock setting from somewhere probably - idk that anyone will be able to do a custom setting in that timeframe right before Valentine's Day, though of course you should ask. If that's what you want, you need to get a move on!

4 forked prongs we usually call "double prongs." Often they are claw prongs (ones that come to a fine point) which are then, naturally "double claw prongs." 6 prongs is much more secure than 4 prongs. I've had my engagement ring center stone (the sapphire in my avatar) get knocked out of the setting before (while washing my hands at a restaurant, I accidentally hit the faucet or something with my hand and was just a little bump but sufficient to knock the stone right out) and I was lucky I didn't lose it so I now always go for more prongs. 6 prongs surround the stone more making it less likely it will be chipped. They also make a round stone look more round whereas four prongs and especially double prongs can square it off a bit. But at the end of the day - it IS a preference, though what is true is that more prongs are safer than fewer prongs. (Just look at the configuration - if one prong of four fails, the stone can fall right out. If one prong of six fails, it's still held in. I think I did eight prongs on the last ring I had made.)

re: asking your girlfriend for more detail: I suggest picking the ring out together. Many of us here picked the ring out with our significant other and then the proposal itself was a surprise (when/how is still a big surprise), but not the fact that it was coming or what the ring would be. This is a really significant purchase, both in terms of expense and meaning, and most PSers are on the "start as you mean to continue: as a team" side of things. But it is excellent that you know her ring-wearing habits already.

Also, while I’m here, talking to the experts, and falling in love with the whiteflash diamonds... am I putting too much emphasis on color? I know color is very important to her. When I saw a G and H next to an F, especially when viewing from the side on a single stone ring, the yellow-ish tent was an instant no-go for me.

Were you seeing GIA-graded G/H diamonds? Also consider that while tint is visible comparatively, could you see the tint if you were looking at the G or H diamond alone, rather than next to an F? Since you said you're thinking of yellow gold for the ring, did you see the various colors alone (not next to each other) next to a yellow gold piece? Color is a preference - if you like the whiter tint of the F, then just pick that. There are plenty of people who do. There are also plenty of people who like G/H/I best (myself included here - they all look white to me but D/E/F somehow comes across as cold and unfriendly, and I like friendly white diamonds - whatever that means - this is obviously a personal taste thing). And there are people whose favorite colors are in the M/N/O range. Takes all kinds. I wouldn't go below H or I picking a diamond for another person, but beyond that, it's just which one you personally like best. If you didn't like the G and H, then stick with F and above. The important thing is that you actually saw them and therefore are making an informed decision, rather than just relying on diamond industry propaganda to choose the color for you.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
If you have to have the ring IN HAND in the next 2-3 weeks, you will want to go with a stock setting from somewhere probably - idk that anyone will be able to do a custom setting in that timeframe right before Valentine's Day, though of course you should ask. If that's what you want, you need to get a move on!

4 forked prongs we usually call "double prongs." Often they are claw prongs (ones that come to a fine point) which are then, naturally "double claw prongs." 6 prongs is much more secure than 4 prongs. I've had my engagement ring center stone (the sapphire in my avatar) get knocked out of the setting before (while washing my hands at a restaurant, I accidentally hit the faucet or something with my hand and was just a little bump but sufficient to knock the stone right out) and I was lucky I didn't lose it so I now always go for more prongs. 6 prongs surround the stone more making it less likely it will be chipped. They also make a round stone look more round whereas four prongs and especially double prongs can square it off a bit. But at the end of the day - it IS a preference, though what is true is that more prongs are safer than fewer prongs. (Just look at the configuration - if one prong of four fails, the stone can fall right out. If one prong of six fails, it's still held in. I think I did eight prongs on the last ring I had made.)

re: asking your girlfriend for more detail: I suggest picking the ring out together. Many of us here picked the ring out with our significant other and then the proposal itself was a surprise (when/how is still a big surprise), but not the fact that it was coming or what the ring would be. This is a really significant purchase, both in terms of expense and meaning, and most PSers are on the "start as you mean to continue: as a team" side of things. But it is excellent that you know her ring-wearing habits already.

Were you seeing GIA-graded G/H diamonds? Also consider that while tint is visible comparatively, could you see the tint if you were looking at the G or H diamond alone, rather than next to an F? Since you said you're thinking of yellow gold for the ring, did you see the various colors alone (not next to each other) next to a yellow gold piece? Color is a preference - if you like the whiter tint of the F, then just pick that. There are plenty of people who do. There are also plenty of people who like G/H/I best (myself included here - they all look white to me but D/E/F somehow comes across as cold and unfriendly, and I like friendly white diamonds - whatever that means - this is obviously a personal taste thing). And there are people whose favorite colors are in the M/N/O range. Takes all kinds. I wouldn't go below H or I picking a diamond for another person, but beyond that, it's just which one you personally like best. If you didn't like the G and H, then stick with F and above. The important thing is that you actually saw them and therefore are making an informed decision, rather than just relying on diamond industry propaganda to choose the color for you.

Great feedback across all fronts! I need the ring mid-March- everything I’ve read says give yourself 4-6 weeks from stone selection, so my urgency is finding the stone. Noted on prongs and preference, and noted on picking ring vs surprise. We went to ringconcierge pop up and that’s where I saw her fall in love, but sounds like I need to see if we can go to another place to get her true opinions under the guise of “planning my savings”.

And yes! No industry propaganda- actually saw it myself, though likely in a way that was designed to be biased. I only saw the stones next to each other (at first), so I think my mind saw the yellow and convinced itself. G wasn’t bad at all but F was a “yes- this is what I’m looking for”. She wants (and deserves!) a disco ball- and that (IMO) is where you get that really clean crisp white effect- with a great cut.

Silly question: how realistic is the fire that you see in whiteflash videos? Because that was my expectation- and looking at them now I’m falling for them all over again. the excellent cut stones I saw at RC did not have fire like this, but that might also be because they aren’t ideal/Astor ideal stones.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, so glad to hear you already have the timeline sorted. I was momentarily worried for how you were going to get it all done in time.

Silly question: how realistic is the fire that you see in whiteflash videos? Because that was my expectation- and looking at them now I’m falling for them all over again. the excellent cut stones I saw at RC did not have fire like this, but that might also be because they aren’t ideal/Astor ideal stones.

Fire depends on the lighting - in some lighting, there will be a ton of fire, and in other lighting, basically none. My SIL has a super ideal cut and it has crazy fire in the kind of lighting that promotes fire, and always sparkles/shines like a beacon.

While I'm on lighting - when you view diamonds in the jewelry store, try to see them in different lighting. Jewelry store lighting is often designed to make everything look sparkly, especially when it's in the case. Take the diamond over by a window. Turn your phone flashlight on it. Dip your hand under the table and view it in shadow. Bring a piece of white paper or white cardstock so you can view it in indirect lighting (you can put your phone flashlight, then the white paper, then the diamond underneath, basically make an on-the-go light box). You may look/feel like a nutcase but you'll get a much better idea of how the diamond will perform in a variety of lighting scenarios. Some stores may have little desk lights or special lighting setups they can use to get some different lighting for you - so don't hesitate to ask if you can see the diamond in different lighting and if they have any setups for that or if they mind if you do your thing with all your props.

Here is a good video about lighting and diamonds:

The RC stones may not have been cut well enough to have much fire, OR the lighting situation may have been suboptimal for fire. Or both. Maybe with this video you will be able to tell if the lighting was suboptimal for fire.

If you haven't already looked into jewelry insurance - most of us here have standalone policies from Jeweler's Mutual. Some have standalone policies from Chubb. I think there may be one other place that people use but I can't remember the name of it right now. For a ring of this value, you'll want a standalone jewelry policy rather than a rider on your homeowners - they cover more scenarios like loss or theft outside the home or even in a foreign country which homeowners' riders don't cover, and also you won't have a mark against you on your homeowners if you have to make a claim. Best to compare rates and coverage between plans, as well as how they replace your item. JM lets you work with whatever jeweler you want, which is convenient because you can go back to the jeweler you got the original from. Some insurers only work with certain jewelers and you have to use their jewelers only, which is usually not preferred by PSers, as you can imagine. Especially if getting a more delicate setting, it'll be good to have insurance just for peace of mind over diamond loss. (It's not really worth it to claim smaller things like setting replacement or reshanking or prong retipping on these policies.)

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Ahh, so glad to hear you already have the timeline sorted. I was momentarily worried for how you were going to get it all done in time.

Fire depends on the lighting - in some lighting, there will be a ton of fire, and in other lighting, basically none. My SIL has a super ideal cut and it has crazy fire in the kind of lighting that promotes fire, and always sparkles/shines like a beacon.

While I'm on lighting - when you view diamonds in the jewelry store, try to see them in different lighting. Jewelry store lighting is often designed to make everything look sparkly, especially when it's in the case. Take the diamond over by a window. Turn your phone flashlight on it. Dip your hand under the table and view it in shadow. Bring a piece of white paper or white cardstock so you can view it in indirect lighting (you can put your phone flashlight, then the white paper, then the diamond underneath, basically make an on-the-go light box). You may look/feel like a nutcase but you'll get a much better idea of how the diamond will perform in a variety of lighting scenarios. Some stores may have little desk lights or special lighting setups they can use to get some different lighting for you - so don't hesitate to ask if you can see the diamond in different lighting and if they have any setups for that or if they mind if you do your thing with all your props.

Here is a good video about lighting and diamonds:

The RC stones may not have been cut well enough to have much fire, OR the lighting situation may have been suboptimal for fire. Or both. Maybe with this video you will be able to tell if the lighting was suboptimal for fire.

If you haven't already looked into jewelry insurance - most of us here have standalone policies from Jeweler's Mutual. Some have standalone policies from Chubb. I think there may be one other place that people use but I can't remember the name of it right now. For a ring of this value, you'll want a standalone jewelry policy rather than a rider on your homeowners - they cover more scenarios like loss or theft outside the home or even in a foreign country which homeowners' riders don't cover, and also you won't have a mark against you on your homeowners if you have to make a claim. Best to compare rates and coverage between plans, as well as how they replace your item. JM lets you work with whatever jeweler you want, which is convenient because you can go back to the jeweler you got the original from. Some insurers only work with certain jewelers and you have to use their jewelers only, which is usually not preferred by PSers, as you can imagine. Especially if getting a more delicate setting, it'll be good to have insurance just for peace of mind over diamond loss. (It's not really worth it to claim smaller things like setting replacement or reshanking or prong retipping on these policies.)

thank you! And yes timeline is a pinch but not impossible. I have a week that I think I can be very productive.

re: lighting- Very helpful. I will say RC did a good job informing me about lighting- they had the white card stock, encouraged me to take it to the window and look in natural lighting, look at it on my hand/off the table, and shared that they don’t have the typical unnatural (fluorescent?) jeweler store lighting- so I appreciated that part of the experience.

do you have any recommendations on NYC jewelers that carry AGS stones? All RC stones are GIA- I didn’t ask if they have an AGS grading (I expect not but will ask) but feel like these are the stones that have all that beautiful fire, but would like to confirm this with my own eye versus whiteflash. AGS ideal also seems to be in its own tier, which seems to mean from what I’ve found that I’m sacrificing color (G, H range vs D-F) to get this cut at the size and budget I’m looking for... to feel comfortable with this I’d like to verify it myself. The only NYC AGS diamond thread here I could find is dated to 2013, I plan to use that unless anyone has recent experiences.

Silly question 1: any tax tips or threads I should be aware of? Unfortunately I don’t have any family/friends in nearby tax free states

Silly question 2:at what part of the buying journey do I take out the insurance policy? Thanks for your info on this already... that was my step once I got a bit closer!

for the other posters who have been following along, I also reached out to Alex Park (and he replied within hours) but he only has a Si1 that isn’t eye clean- hopefully some others pop up.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yungAppetite , since you are based in NYC, I would definitely suggest looking at stones in person rather than buying "blind" online, there is no better substitute IMO than viewing in person.

IDJewelry is in the Diamond District and has been recommended by a lot of PSers. Same thing with Diamonds by Lauren, whose owner @Rockdiamond is also a frequent contributor to the forum and has a good eye for lovely stones. He also has an uber craftsman who can make a handforged setting for you - you can do a quick search on PS to see some of the settings he's made for PSers. Since both are in the Diamond District it's easy for them to pull a bunch of stones that fits your criteria for viewing and you can make your decision then. Good luck!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fire from a superideal (or non branded cut with the right parameters) is a real and significant part of the value, IMO. You need to see it in person, but the WF videos come pretty close. Obviously, lighting situations will change fire characteristics, superideals have significantly better/different fire than average cuts IMO.

You can look locally at Crafted By Infinity superideals to see what I mean (call High Performance Diamonds to see if CBI has any NYC showrooms).

Yes, I and others have bought superideals and WF Premium Select (near superideal parameters) from online Whiteflash or HPD (who specialize in CBI) sight unseen. Based on sales person’s help, videos and specs discussed on PS. No brainer, I consider it more of a sure thing than pulling in diamonds to inspect from a local store. YMMV.

Color is real from someone who is color sensitive, I would not drop below what your GF desires and loves in terms of color (I think that was F?). Especially with a AGS lab certified stone. GIA has tighter color parameters IMO. Maybe you can “give” more on clarity. Or drop to non superideal with close to superideal parameters.

And last, if your GF still thinks RC is the setting for her, that’s a good reason to give it to her. I’m interested in what RC can come up with in terms of stones. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the quick tl;dr on hand forged being stronger than cast. Where does wire forged fall on this spectrum, or any perks? My next batch of research.

wire is hand forged, it’s just a roll of the metal That I have seen works better for thinner settings. I was told that the wire setting is stronger for settings under 2mm, I’m trying to find resources but I’m hooked up to some testing at the doctors right now. Maybe someone can chime in on this

this one is wire

this one is cast, ended up being a bit more squarish and bulky then the wire setting

NightOwlInCanada

Rough_Rock
The video here shows the manufacturing process of a custom ring. Now, I don't know whether this particular maker is PS-reviewed, but it's not intended as a recommendation, merely a good explanation of bespoke techniques.

Fascinating! Thank you for posting this.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found someone to share your life with. You are asking a lot of great questions. As others have said, the mounting is sub-par and won't last very long. Many people think a very thin mounting will show the diamond better and don't consider the strength or wearability of the thin mounting. at 1.8mm, it may be just inside best practice standards. For a diamond as significant as what you're considering, a wider, heavier mounting should be considered, along with other factors. This is where a face-to-face meeting with a professional comes in best as they can guide you along in the process. As for the diamond, I would only buy a diamond once I see it in person and with magnification. Use a certificate, or better known as a diamond report ONLY as a guide and not definitive. I just check with an international diamond database using your criteria and find 495 offerings for GIA graded diamonds. The prices range from $25,000 to over $100K. Searching for a 2.50 carat, round, F, Vs2, EX, GIA finds 6 different diamonds ranging in price from around $31K to over $46K for the "same" diamond. Each diamond needs to be individually inspected to see which diamond YOU like best. The is absolutely no way to determine if one diamond is better than another based solely on a cert without your visual inspection. Online sites may be good for some information, but not for buying a symbol of your love. GIA.edu gives the best and most trusted information available. Find a local store, develope a relationship with them, compare diamonds and buy from them. If you're using them to glean information because you don't trust a web site, give them your business. They may charge a little more, but the service will be better both now and in the future.

Please familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum. Trade members are not allowed to criticize specific vendors' products.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad you found someone to share your life with. You are asking a lot of great questions. As others have said, the mounting is sub-par and won't last very long. Many people think a very thin mounting will show the diamond better and don't consider the strength or wearability of the thin mounting. at 1.8mm, it may be just inside best practice standards. For a diamond as significant as what you're considering, a wider, heavier mounting should be considered, along with other factors. This is where a face-to-face meeting with a professional comes in best as they can guide you along in the process. As for the diamond, I would only buy a diamond once I see it in person and with magnification. Use a certificate, or better known as a diamond report ONLY as a guide and not definitive. I just check with an international diamond database using your criteria and find 495 offerings for GIA graded diamonds. The prices range from $25,000 to over $100K. Searching for a 2.50 carat, round, F, Vs2, EX, GIA finds 6 different diamonds ranging in price from around $31K to over $46K for the "same" diamond. Each diamond needs to be individually inspected to see which diamond YOU like best. The is absolutely no way to determine if one diamond is better than another based solely on a cert without your visual inspection. Online sites may be good for some information, but not for buying a symbol of your love. GIA.edu gives the best and most trusted information available. Find a local store, develope a relationship with them, compare diamonds and buy from them. If you're using them to glean information because you don't trust a web site, give them your business. They may charge a little more, but the service will be better both now and in the future.

I have to disagree with the need to buy in person, there are very good vendors with amazing stones and return policies in place if you are unsatisfied. There have also been many many buyers not happy with their stones after buying in person

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tenth time to everyone on this forum. Quick update for those who are following:

-Spoke to Leon Mege, his thinnest setting is 1.5mm, but will only work with me if I buy the stone through him.
-Emailed with Alex Park, not sure in settings, but stones have to be purchased through him.
-Steven Kirsch will do either or, but doesn’t have the diamond in his inventory and suggested to find it on my own and bring it in.
-A very close friend of mine shared that his Aunt has been in the diamond business for 20 years- he and another friend both bought from her. I connected with her and she was lovely, immediately understood what I’m looking for and helped critique some of my criteria- though understood why I had them and are ultimately unchanged. Really looking forward to seeing what she can pull.

Overall, disappointed that AP or LM won’t work with me without procuring the stone, but I understand. Friend’s Aunt has a jeweler she has always worked with (and both friends worked through this person too, with good experiences) can take the ring there for a hand forged custom, or to SK, RC (if I still want to go that route), etc. Timeline continues to concern me, but I have an appointment with LaurenB to at least see a few settings, RC for one last try, and the Aunt next week. Hopeful I can get this done on time!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down I vote for SK - he is incredibly skilled and amazing to work with. He created a halo setting for a close friend who had purchased the diamond separately from BGD. SK created the setting in 2 weeks (!) because my friend was trying to propose while on vacation. Additionally, my friend’s fiancé damage the setting a few months later and SK fixed it at no charge within 24hrs! I honestly haven’t heard great things about LM or AP and so to me it’s not a huge loss that they won’t work with you. And a definite no to the “aunt jeweler”.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down I vote for SK - he is incredibly skilled and amazing to work with. He created a halo setting for a close friend who had purchased the diamond separately from BGD. SK created the setting in 2 weeks (!) because my friend was trying to propose while on vacation. Additionally, my friend’s fiancé damage the setting a few months later and SK fixed it at no charge within 24hrs! I honestly haven’t heard great things about LM or AP and so to me it’s not a huge loss that they won’t work with you. And a definite no to the “aunt jeweler”.

Do not use the 'aunt jeweler'. I can almost guarantee it will go poorly. SK 100% will be more skilled and able to do what you want.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Agreed. Late to share, but for those wondering, here is the RC ring on her hand. Finish looks a bit better than the photos posted previously, but still hard to tell- the basket view is a grab from a Live Photo. 84111028-0224-4C43-903C-96E6E18CF583.jpeg 97282356-1618-4849-8855-F69898BD9DA9.jpeg

mission1

Shiny_Rock
When I was looking at engagement rings I was advised on here that 1.6mm was too thin and would probably have durability issues, so worth thinking about for a 1.5mm shank. I ended up going for a 1.9mm which I had tapered slightly towards the stone, to get the slim effect but with a bit more durability.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results