shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed for Pendant settings (solitaire) !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dreamer

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
As I had posted earlier, I am going to GOG this saturday to view 2 stones listed below.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2229 (1.01/J/SI2) (HCA: 1.9)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2238/ (.90/J/SI1) (HCA: 1.5)

But, I needed some help about the pendant setting. I wanted to hear from people who has solitaire pendants and happy with it and WHICH DOESN''T FLIP !! I will be looking at some of the settings also.
I am planning to get this done in yellow gold.
Another last question, looking at the cost of the stone, am I spending way too much for a pendant ?!?

thanks
dreamer

dreamer

Rough_Rock
no one yet ?!?
15.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Being a man, I can''t help too much with the type of setting...I know the very standard basket setting that I got for my wife does flip from time to time. Maybe with a bigger stone there will be a bigger base and less flippage with something like that. But I am just speculating.

As for the diamond size, I think you need to go with what your comfortable with. The only thing I would say is make sure that it fits in with any other diamond jewelry you may have. For example, if you only have a half carat ering, the pendant may look a little out of place. Back when we got engaged I bought my wife a .80 ct ering, a .33 ct pendant, and .5 cttw (.25 ct each) stud earrings. To me, that seemed like a proper pecking order with size. But that is JMHO.

Good luck with your trip!!!
4.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Have you done a search on this forum? There are some beautiful solitaire pendants on here.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had GOG set my pendant a few years ago and it rarely flips. It''s a 4 prong basket.

Flipping or not flipping has much to do with how the pendant is set onto the chain. Garry/CutNut posted previously about it years ago. Some people know how to set them and some don''t. Just stress to GOG you don''t want the pendant to flip.

And no you aren''t silly for spending XYZ on a pendant if you will wear it often. I wear mine daily. Great amortization.
2.gif

dreamer

Rough_Rock
Mara,
Do you have a picture? Is it one of those where the pendant looks like it is floating and the chain runs thru the stone ?!? I hope I explained myself. Or is it the one which has a tiny jump attaching the pendant to the chain?

dreamer

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it has very tiny rabbit ears (hoops) attaching the stone...it''s stationary and doesn''t slide on the chain. the chain itself is very delicate and unnoticeable so it looks like a diamond is floating on my neck. it''s my fave neck look for ''classic''.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
this is one I had saved
I know I have more

598%20WF%20official%20pics.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually i just checked my pendant and it doesn't have the rabbit ears like i remember, GOG must have removed them from the first time that my jeweler set it (in not a great way!).

anyway...ann's posted pictures has these attached turned rings right before it attaches to the pendant. mine doesnt have that. it just has the chain attaching straight to the pendant and it rarely flips. i was watching it in the rear view mirror the other day in a cab i was in and it didn't flip once so i was happy to see that. i remember garry said something about what was necessary to not make it flip...something about where the chain attaches to the pendant. or something..it can't be too forward or too backwards or it tips or flips i guess. that wf one looks attached a little too fwd compared to mine which is more in the middle.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, my pendant is set just like the one Ann posted. My diamond is .82ct and I got it made byGOG and I told them I don''t want the pendant to flip. They did a very good job because I''ve never noticed it flipping on me and I''ve had it for 2 years now. It probably matters that my diamond is set very low in the basket and I have it on a sturdy 16 in cable chain so it lays right on my collar bone. I think a one carat diamond looks perfect. If you''ll be wearing it often and you got the money, I say go for it. It''ll be fabulous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results