shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Needed for an Engagement Diamond

Jigsaw84

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to spend around £5,000 - £6,000 (around $7000 to $9000).

I want to get my intended a 1ct D colour (or E) round Diamond that's VS1 / VS2.

If I can get 'better' specs that would be great. I just want to try and get the best I can. I'm in the UK and make frequent flights to the states so happy to buy something there / online and get it delivered and pick up before bringing back to the UK.

What i'm lost on is things like depth / thickness etc. I've read loads of threads on this site but i had a few questions:

1. Is $7k to $9k the right amount for a ring of this type.
2. What specifically should I be looking for (I keep seeing things like "fire"!?)
3. Is it a good idea to buy the diamond loose and then get a jeweller to set the diamond in the ring (I live nearish to a place that is famous for making jewellery so pretty sure I could get a setting without too much trouble / cost).

Sorry - I may well post again with more questions when I start finding stuff based on your suggestions. I totally get the whole CT / Colour / Inclusions stuff - I'm just lost on the rest and don't want to spend a fortune and get something that's a bit rubbish!

Thanks

J

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Hi, also from the uk (manchester).

My findings in comparing uk to USA was that with USA beats Uk markets with the quality of the stones available for my budget (which was the same as yours) - even with vat and duty. Simple fact was that I couldn't find super ideal cut stones in the uk for decent prices. Also the quality of info available for each stone I saw in the uk was poor.

So, my searches led me to whiteflash, Brian Gavin and a few more. You've probably read about these by now. If not you should.

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what type of stone you want. my gf wanted 'across the room sparkle' so the only thing I was convinced would give me that was a super ideal h&a stone. It's not that others wouldn't give me that but if I'm spending $8k or so on a stone I need to know it'll shine without any risk. That led me to whiteflash and Brian Gavin no ended up buying from whiteflash because they had the setting she wanted.

So for your budget if you want super ideal in an E VS2 you won't find it I'm afraid. Not in a 1ct. You'll most likely get an H VS2 or a G SI1 I think.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you fly into? New York by any chance?
You can contact Gog
Www.goodoldgold.Com
I'd jewelry
Www.idjewerly.Com
And there is one other vendor that slips my mind at the moment.
Anyway, if you contact them before you fly in they can have some
Stones available for you to look at.

Jigsaw84

Rough_Rock
THis seems to fit within budget and hits all the bits I want it too - granted it's not 1CT but then it definitly jumps in price quite considerably... is there anything i shoudl worry about with this?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3520062.htm

Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
DIAMOND INFORMATION
Item Code AGS-104080596017
Category A CUT ABOVE®
Shape Round
Carat 0.92
Color D
Clarity VS2
Cut Ideal

Depth % 60.9
Table % 57.3
Crown Angle 34.4
Star 50.0
Pavilion Angle 40.9
Crown % 14.6
Lower Girdle % 76.0
Measurements 6.26x6.29x3.82
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that is a super ideal cut stone - should be a real beauty!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results