shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed buying online Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Hello ,

I am wondering if anyone on this foum could advise me on what they think of the diamond below based on the details i have got on it. I am living in Ireland and have to buy a diamond in the US as they are very expensive over here and you get a much better stone in the US for a better price. I know my girlfriend wants an EC diamond and all I have to do now is buy it from a good online supplier and make sure its a good stone. This is where i run into problems as never thought it could get as technical as i have been finding out and really need someone with a bit of experience and knowledge to tell me the way it is when looking at EC diamonds. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Caret Weight 1.14
Cut Very Good
Collor F
Clarity VS2
Depth % 65.2
Table % 63
Symmetry Good
Polish Good
Girdle Ex Thin to Slighty Thick
Cutlet None
Flour None
Measurments 7.43*5.09*3.32
L/W ratio 1.46

Thanks
21.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when symmetry and polish are both "good," I think it is a little unfair to call the overall cut grade "very good" unless the seller can give you some Ideal Scope picture, ASET pciture, or other good reason why the cut is very good. also, the Ex Thin girdle may necessitate caution. Has the vendor talked to you about the location and extent of the extremely thin girdle?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there anyway they can send you some photographs? Do you know if she likes short/fat stones vs. tall/thin?

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Hi JulieN, Don''t think this particluar seller(B-Nile) gives Ideal scope pictures, they just have there diamonds rated as ideal, very good, good, fair ect, I might email them and ask them this, what is the preferred Girdle for an emerald cut as there seems to be quite a difference in the emreald cut versions.

Thanks

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Hi Tacori,

I don''t mean to be samrt when i say I don''t think my girlfriend has a preference as this really is the first real venture into buying a real and proper diamond so I guess she is really looking for something first and foremost that looks good and repersents a nice emerald cut so personnly I''m not sure if thats a short fat or tall/thin one, i can tell u that her ring size is 7 if that makes any difference

Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The EC you have chosen from BN could be a very pretty diamond. My only concern is the extremely thin to slightly thick girdle. Depending on how wavy the girdle is and the location of the extremely thin portion, it may be prone to chipping, or it might be protected by a prong. Do ask the BN about it.

It is difficult to buy step cuts without seeing them in person and without an Idealscope or ASET pictures when buying sight unseen, I would not recommend it. Buying using the stats alone is the first step in eliminating the duds, but it is not a guaranteed fail-proof method. It needs to be followed up by viewing it in person under various lighting conditions, or using the mentioned tools above.

As for the shape of the diamond, this might come in handy. It helps you visualize if the diamond is tall or squarish, so you can pick which type you prefer.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would choose a vendor that can get you pictures. Some ECs with great numbers are duds and some with not so great numbers can be real beauties. Really need pictures to tell. I don''t like the good polish and symmetry as well, or the girdle.

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your help, I will ask BN if they can supply pictures of the stone as your probably right, it might have the best stats but still be a dud, in the end though i might have to take that risk with buying blind off BN because of the major price difference, the equivalent stone in Ireland is nearly double the price of the US price(the euro-dollar helps) so if I do end up doing this i will post it here to get your expert advice before I talk to the bank about getting a loan for it
21.gif
, ps any idea what is the best type of girdle for a emerald cut?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
everyone likes a thin to slightly thick girdle. for fancies, it is hard enough to find a nice one as it is, so I am not against thick or very thick girdles as long as it does not make a large difference in spread. I have a hard time justifying extremely thick, though.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Best girdle would be medium. You would be safe with thin to thick and anything in between.

Why do you have to choose BN? Will other places not ship to Ireland?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of taking a risk by buying sight unseen, go with vendors who will give you additional information to make a better decision. Whiteflash and Good Old Gold can and will give you magnified pictures, Idealscope pictures, Sarin reports and ASET pictures. That is practically risk free in knowing whether you have a great stone or just a so-so EC. In addition, Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and James Shultz at James Allen are both honest and have very good eyes (they can personally pick out really food ECs for you).

DBM

Shiny_Rock
my main concern for you would to be know if you like the rectangularish look of this emerald cut. Generally emeralds i sell to customers have a length/width ratio of ~1.3. That's in no way to say that it's a bad thing to that this diamond has a length/width of 1.46, it just is up to your preference and somethign for you to notice.

The girdle issue wouldn't bother me so much.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 5:26:20 AM
Author: Irishlad
Hi Tacori,

I don''t mean to be samrt when i say I don''t think my girlfriend has a preference as this really is the first real venture into buying a real and proper diamond so I guess she is really looking for something first and foremost that looks good and repersents a nice emerald cut so personnly I''m not sure if thats a short fat or tall/thin one, i can tell u that her ring size is 7 if that makes any difference

Thanks

Most people prefer one over the other. Being her first diamond doesn''t matter. Good luck.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2007 7:10:02 PM
Author:Irishlad
Hello ,

I am wondering if anyone on this foum could advise me on what they think of the diamond below based on the details i have got on it. I am living in Ireland and have to buy a diamond in the US as they are very expensive over here and you get a much better stone in the US for a better price. I know my girlfriend wants an EC diamond and all I have to do now is buy it from a good online supplier and make sure its a good stone. This is where i run into problems as never thought it could get as technical as i have been finding out and really need someone with a bit of experience and knowledge to tell me the way it is when looking at EC diamonds. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Caret Weight 1.14
Cut Very Good
Collor F
Clarity VS2
Depth % 65.2
Table % 63
Symmetry Good
Polish Good
Girdle Ex Thin to Slighty Thick
Cutlet None
Flour None
Measurments 7.43*5.09*3.32
L/W ratio 1.46

Thanks
21.gif
I take it as info. of a GIA report..., The numbers look good!
two points.., i dont know your gf preference but its worth finding out before deciding on the ratio..., often European consumers prefer the squarish (1:1.15 to 1.30) e/c vs. the US consumer (1:1,35 to 1,50).

Secondly, seeing the stone will make a decision much easier, find out if the VS2 is not a Black VS2 (black Vs's are a lot of times eye-visible on step cuts...

As far as the girdle is concerned, medium is a preference..., Ex. thin at the GIA can be a knife-edge (no girdle plane at all), and that is not the safest way about.

Measurements are better than fine (if the long shape is your way to go), 65.2 % depth is a very good depth for such a long shape (as long as the stone has a fair crown height...) Usualy long shaped e/c possess more depth.

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your excellent advice and I think i am in a better place about buying my first(and hopefully last) engagement ring. I only picked BN becasue i thought they would be reliable and were a big company so I would have come back if I made a mess of picking the ring. I will try GOG and Mark in direct as I think u are all right that i need to see the diamond first before money exchanges hands, I was thiinking of something just above the 1 caret, say arounf 1.2, is this silly or will the ring look the better of being just over the 1 caret size. And just before I go is there many of u who think the skinny diamonds at the side of the EC,(think there called Bags or something) will enhance the ring or should i just stick to the solitare. I have to ensure main diamond is not sticking up to high as girlfriend does not like rings that snag in clothes ect.

Thanks again and will post pictures if i get some off the vendors above.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 5:29:01 PM
Thank you all for your excellent advice and I think i am in a better place about buying my first(and hopefully last) engagement ring. I only picked BN becasue i thought they would be reliable and were a big company so I would have come back if I made a mess of picking the ring. I will try GOG and Mark in direct as I think u are all right that i need to see the diamond first before money exchanges hands, I was thiinking of something just above the 1 caret, say arounf 1.2, is this silly or will the ring look the better of being just over the 1 caret size. And just before I go is there many of u who think the skinny diamonds at the side of the EC,(think there called Bags or something) will enhance the ring or should i just stick to the solitare. I have to ensure main diamond is not sticking up to high as girlfriend does not like rings that snag in clothes ect.

Thanks again and will post pictures if i get some off the vendors above.
Its a matter of taste only..., we cant suggest you...
If you dont know your GF''s preference..., try to find out the smart way..., there are plenty of ways to find out...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she have a girlfriend or anyone you can trust not to tell her? If so I would just send some JPEGs to the GF two rounds (one with baguettes and one in a solitare), two EC''s (fat and skinny... with baguettes and without) and one Asscher or princess... and have the GF say something like I''ve been browsing the net and came across these pics... I''d love to have one of these... what do you think?"

I did that with my uncle''s wife''s ring... she had NO CLUE why I was really doing it. I told her I was thinking of changing my diamond out for another one.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irish, it's not too hard. You can draw a lot of rectangles and ask her to pick the most pleasing one. I like them a bit short myself, but >1.3 Also, the angle of the cut corners will affect how long it looks, even if it is all the same ratio, so it may vary somewhat.

I suggest going on www.jamesallen.com and search for emeralds. They list all the ratios in the search matches, so it'll be easy for you to pick what you like.

And I
30.gif
tapered baguettes with an emerald.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2007 7:40:10 PM
Hi again,

I have nearly settled on a ring, if any of you get a change can you have a look at the follow Diamond

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=1005191

with the following ring,

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=167

Many Thanks
21.gif
As far as the e/c... according to the picture it looks like a great cut (i personaly love small tables!!)
I dont understand why they are naming the diamond an Ideal-Cut Emerald Diamond...., but it looks like a great cut.

The only thing that raises concern and is worthwhile checking more is the Indented Natural that the GIA identifies... (find out the location of it, and if it is not eye-visable!!!)
Crown height would help (allthough GIA doesnt offer that info.), but if the picture is an actual one, then it looks good...

It has the potential of being an awesome GEM!!!

good luck

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen does use actual photos and that EC looks very pretty to me. I love rectangular shapes.

I think "Ideal-cut" is their in house term for "great cut" I know I searched their site for "Ideal-cut" Cushions. It''s a great search feature but of course that actual term is used by another vendor to mean something specific.

Looks like a great stone, let us know what you decide.

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Another respected vendor sent me on this picture of an emerald he has for approx $1000 less than the one above with similar specs, have attached the picture, this is the last post i promise

Measurments 6.83*4.92*3.20
Weight 1.01Caret
Depth 65%
Table 65%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Cutlet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity Grade Vs2
Flour None

irish4321111.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the numbers... worried a little about the 'thin' part of the girdle... can you have them explain it. Love the proprations though... would like to see more pictures of that beautiful sucker. Its got a lot of potential... although most would prefer a smaller table than that in relation to depth. But as they are equal... and both good, I like it.

ETA; Why last post? Keep posting!!! We love this stuff!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This EC looks pretty good and the numbers look nice too. How many days do you have to inspect the stone? I wish you could try out the stone in different lighting first to check out the stone yourself but you are an ocean away.

1. What is the colour of the EC? It isn''t mentioned in your post.
2. Does this vendor provide Idealscope pictures? Or a Sarin report? How about ASET pictures?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a very pretty EC!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More photos would be helpful to us and to you. Since you are far away you need to ask for as much info as they can give. Maybe even pay for some extra photos.

Irishlad

Rough_Rock
Sorry forgot to say the colour of the diamond is F and yes your right Its very difficult for me to inspect the diamond being an Ocean away and runnig out of time too as my friend is coming over here in just over a week so have to make my mind up in the next day otherwise it won''t be ready in time, could just get the diamond and get it set in a ring over here but wary of Jewelers over here switching the diamond(i''m a bit paranoid) but the vendor i''m dealing with is a Mark T from Engagement rings direct and he seems to have a good reputation based on the posts in this Forum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can trust Mark''s eyes; if he says it''s a stunner, it is a stunner. What is his opinion on the EC? I know he doesn''t have the other tools but his eyes are great and he is honest and well respected here on PS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results