shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed - 3.5 to 4 carat radiant or oval

Foreverdiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am on the hunt for my forever diamond (!) - and I need some help. I have a reasonable knowledge of diamonds but feel I'm still shooting in the dark a little with regards to best quality, sparkle and bang for buck. I'm also conscious that both of the shapes I'm considering are subject to the dreaded bow tie! :)

Hoping experts on this forum can suggest a few options available:

Radiant (rectangular) or Oval
  • 3.5 - 4 carats
  • G-I
  • eye clean
  • no / minimal bowtie
  • I'm fine with fluorescence
  • dimensions (10 x 8 MINIMUM for radiant)
  • Budget $40 - 45K US (I'm dealing with the dreaded Aus $ conversion rate - not good!)
Setting - to be set with side stones (probably trapezoids - see below)

I'd be so appreciative of any suggestions you have.

Many thanks in advance!

IMG_6310.PNG
IMG_6311.PNG

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Vote for oval & traps! - to begin somewhere.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I vote oval as well! A 4 ct oval will look huge!!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I vote radiant because I love radiants with the trapezoid sides.

I actually have no idea with fancy cuts about proportions etc but this one seems nice. Just under the 3.5ct though. Hopefully some experts give your some good options.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I like this: WWW

& these are around www [they make such things] - but the sidestones are usually delegated to the maker of the setting.

To keep in mind, perhaps.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I like both but just wanted to comment that since you'll incur 4/4.5K in GST by buying from a US or overseas vendor, can you fly to NYC and visit the diamond district to find your forever stone? :D

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With your budget and the fact that there are really not many options on the market right now (BN,JA,AV) I would contact this guy to help pick and make the ring

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m personally not a fan of the oval with traps, no offense to anyone. I would do half moons. I just feel that ovals are a softer look and the traps are too harsh for it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For radiants and other fancy shapes, I always think of David at Diamonds by Lauren. He always finds amazing stones and he'll be able to match your setting preference. No large enough, but look at this lovely one.

For a setting, its really a personal choice, but some thoughts...

For radiants, I really love half moons or maybe some more tapered sides (traps, but with a smaller bottom dimension to make them more strongly angled).

If you go oval, I'm don't love the proportion of those traps with the oval. I think you lose the shape unless the side stones are smaller.
1571478637426.png

Not big enough, but nice faceting.

Last edited:

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
I suggest reaching out to Ring Concierge, they make very nice 3 stone rings using ovals and radiant cuts.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest reaching out to Ring Concierge, they make very nice 3 stone rings using ovals and radiant cuts.

Just be aware that they tend to be on the high end of price.

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
Maybe for the old cuts? I have seen her post some nice fancy cuts and, out of curiosity, ran a search on James Allen or Blue Nile for comparable stones and the prices seem competitive.

Foreverdiamond

Rough_Rock
I like both but just wanted to comment that since you'll incur 4/4.5K in GST by buying from a US or overseas vendor, can you fly to NYC and visit the diamond district to find your forever stone? :D
I’ve made one trip to diamond district and got an amazing eternity band from the lovely tram and ID Jewellery. But sadly this one needs to be a remote purchase

Foreverdiamond

Rough_Rock
For radiants and other fancy shapes, I always think of David at Diamonds by Lauren. He always finds amazing stones and he'll be able to match your setting preference. No large enough, but look at this lovely one.

For a setting, its really a personal choice, but some thoughts...

For radiants, I really love half moons or maybe some more tapered sides (traps, but with a smaller bottom dimension to make them more strongly angled).

If you go oval, I'm don't love the proportion of those traps with the oval. I think you lose the shape unless the side stones are smaller.
1571478637426.png

Not big enough, but nice faceting.
Many thanks!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I was pricing out radiants and they seem to be expensive ? Why ? I like oval as a three stone and radiant as a solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results