shape
carat
color
clarity

Help -- need to price other gems online. Where can I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I need to price some sapphires. Is there something like this site for other gems?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Bill Larson's Pala Internation site is excellent. They're into medium to high quality stones. No junk.

You can find their site at http://www.palagems.com/home.htm

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. That will do. My friend was quoted $6250 for a nice looking round cut blue sapphire of about 2.6 carats in size. Neither of us know how to grade sapphires (yet), but I suspect the price was way high because she said her prices "were similar to a retail store."

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
With colored stones you enter into a different realm of quality analysis, one which can often be more difficult than diamonds.

The main thing to remember is that three of the 4 C's of colored stones is Color, Color & Color. Clarity and cut take a far back seat, as long as neither is obviously out-of-whack.

Another factor which can greatly influence value on a sapphire is heated versus non-heated stones (to improve the color, and sometimes clarity). Fine non-heated stones will command hefty premiums.

Another factor is "country of origin". This can be a big deal. The order of importance runs something along these lines with the traditional sources. Kashmir > Burma > Sri Lanka > Thailand > Australia.

This of course is just a generalization, with plenty of exceptions, such as a fine Thai stone beating out a mediocre Burma stone. Some non-traditional sources which have been rivaling fine Sri Lankan & Burma stones are Cambodia and the recent Madagascar finds.

The Pala International site is a good educational site, in both their articles and the pictures of their inventory.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results