shape
carat
color
clarity

Help...need questions to ask jeweler...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Z Furman

Rough_Rock
I am meeting with a jeweler this weekend to discuss my custom piece...I have no clue what to ask. I know the piece and how I want it but there has to more than that, I am new to all this and want to make sure I get all the info I need to prevent disaster or disapointment in the future. Can you suggest questions and information I should get from him before I go in there?
I don''t want to look uneducated or get taken advantage of...and since the only things I know are what I want I am afraid of all the unknowns...I need some help here.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would make a list of all the things you want done in your custom ring. Take plenty of pics with you as well. Make sure your go over everything with him so that you will be on the same page. Good luck!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 11:16:23 AM
Author:Z Furman
I am meeting with a jeweler this weekend to discuss my custom piece...I have no clue what to ask. I know the piece and how I want it but there has to more than that, I am new to all this and want to make sure I get all the info I need to prevent disaster or disapointment in the future. Can you suggest questions and information I should get from him before I go in there?
I don't want to look uneducated or get taken advantage of...and since the only things I know are what I want I am afraid of all the unknowns...I need some help here.
Kaleigh's list idea will make things clear for you and the jeweler. It will be helpful to know:

Finger Size
Metal to be used
If you already have the diamond - it's measurements in mm
How many prongs and what you want them to look like
Desired width of band
Details of side stones, if any
If you want melee - how big / how much tcw
Details/drawing/photo of the gallery if one is planned
Do you want engraving?
Anything else?

If you already know the piece and have drawings/photos - or it's similar to pieces by this jeweler that you like - you may already be settled on some of the design details.

On their end: To prevent future problems be sure you understand the predicted workmanship timeline and details. Will you be seeing/approving a wax or not? Will you be seeing/approving the cast? Very important is the warranty or guarantee. How will they back it up in the future?

On your end: The custom process is unique. It's not uncommon for a custom job to require extra work or refinement to complete the vision a customer has, so on your end I'd encourage patience and involvement.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think some of what you need to ask is dependent on the sort of piece you want. Will there be any side diamonds? Any melee? If so what is the quality of said stones? What is the total weight? What metal will be used, what alloy mix?
Will you see any CAD images, or a wax? What happens if you do not like the piece? Who pays for any corrections?
What sort of time line are you looking at?
What happens if the ring is not completed on time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results