shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need expertise on choosing the right diamond

Turbos

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I'm looking to upgrade my wife's engagement ring and so far narrowed it down to the following 2 stones. From my research, they are both great cuts based on the numbers on paper. But I'd like to have some expert eyes to take a look before making the purchase.

Option 1: HPHT

Option 2: CVD

If neither are great, I'm open to suggestions with similar specs as well! Below are the rough criteria (I'm completely new to this so I'm open to expert recommendations).

Price: ~$4,000
Carat: 3.0-3.1
Cut: Excellent+
Color: D
Clarity: VVS2-VVS1
Grow Method: HPHT?
Certificate: Preferably GIA, but I read that IGI has been stricter in their grading recently? Does it really matter?

Thank you all in advance!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
IGI has a great reputation with LGD. And what're the prices on those two that you posted? I think the experts here will be able to find you something wonderful.

Just curious, if they can find something larger in budget (which is definitely the case with $4k) do you want a larger stone? Or are you set on the 3ct size?

What a great gift! Lucky wife!

Turbos

Rough_Rock
IGI has a great reputation with LGD. And what're the prices on those two that you posted? I think the experts here will be able to find you something wonderful.

Just curious, if they can find something larger in budget (which is definitely the case with $4k) do you want a larger stone? Or are you set on the 3ct size?

What a great gift! Lucky wife!

Thank you for the insight! They're both the same price ~$3,800. Wife is pretty petite and thinks that something above 3ct might be too much for her haha

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I like the cut on option 1 more, but how do you know it’s HPHT?

Turbos

Rough_Rock
I like the cut on option 1 more, but how do you know it’s HPHT?
Thanks for your input! On the seller website they distinguish between HPHT and CVD. One thing I noticed on option 1 is that the video shows some haziness towards the bottom of the stone. Not sure if its a concern or not.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the material of option 2 looks cleaner, and I don’t know if the difference would be visible in person. There are lots of other options with your budget though, even if you want to stick with GIA.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N @DejaWiz Would love to hear your insights and recommendation =)2

I like the cut precision on the first diamond more.

Here's another option. I think the diamond is slightly tilted in the video, but it could be a really good one.

Turbos

Rough_Rock
I like the cut precision on the first diamond more.

Here's another option. I think the diamond is slightly tilted in the video, but it could be a really good one.

Really appreciate the feedback! Is the haziness on the bottom of the first one a concern? Not sure if it's just a smudge or something else.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really appreciate the feedback! Is the haziness on the bottom of the first one a concern? Not sure if it's just a smudge or something else.

My guess is it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, Turbos!
Would around 3.5c/9.8mm be too large?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi @DejaWiz

Sorry for the late reply. 3.5 would be a little too large. Ideally, we'd like to stay around 3-3.1ct. Do you mind taking a look at this one and let me know your thoughts? It's down to this one and option 1 unless we come across another that's within our criteria. Thank you!

No worries.
0734 has some uneven cut precision that's pretty easy to spot in the 360 video.

How does this fiery proportioned diamond look to you?

Turbos

Rough_Rock
No worries.
0734 has some uneven cut precision that's pretty easy to spot in the 360 video.

How does this fiery proportioned diamond look to you?

This one is definitely a contender. What are your thoughts on this vs. the 565?

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6482885565

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Turbos

Rough_Rock
Is 5565 CVD? I can't tell for sure by the video, which may mean that the material quality is higher than most CVD I come across.

Eh, regardless - I think you have two great options in front of you and I wish you the best of luck for selecting your winner. :lol:

5565 is actually HPTHT according to the website. I was concerned about the some of the haziness but Kim N. noted that it shouldn't be a problem with the naked eye.

@DejaWiz This one just came up in my search. Do you mind taking one more look for me? It's almost identical to 5565. Thanks so much for all the help so far!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
5565 is actually HPTHT according to the website. I was concerned about the some of the haziness but Kim N. noted that it shouldn't be a problem with the naked eye :). Thanks for all the help!

I have no concerns with 5565 - material quality looks good, cut precision looks fine, and proportions are A-OK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results