shape
carat
color
clarity

Help ....Need advice on a Stone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beantownboy

Rough_Rock
I would like to run this stone by as many of the great folks here on this board. Let me begin by mentioning that I didn''t plan on purchasing a stone this fast, however, I have a great opportunity to propose on Chrismas Eve and I don''t want it to pass by. However, I also don''t want to make a decision I''ll regret b/c I was in a rush. I intially started with the following prereq on the stone...

Color: G-H
Clarity: VS1-VS2
Carat: 1.60 - 1.75
Cut: as Ideal and well cut as possible

Based on these requirements and the time of year it is, I''m noticing that there''s not much out there. The stone that I would like advice on is as follows...

Price: $10,500.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.65
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.6
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.69-7.71X4.67

My concern was the SI1 issue, however, while speaking to the vendor (who was looking at the stone)he assured me that it was eye clean and shouldn''t be a problem. Should I be worried about the SI1 item? And is this a reasonably good deal for the price? Should I still focus on the 1.75 carat weight that began with (and will the 1.65 compare well against my original 1.75 ct)? I was also planning to set this in a Platinum 4 or 6 prong settig as well.

I appreciate all of the input on this as well. I would also hope to hear from Mara (as it seems she has alot of input dealing with SI1s).

Thanks

Volred

Rough_Rock
Arg first post,

Every time that I insert a smilie the form gets wiped. No more smilies in this post, and third time is a charm right?

Here we go again...

If you can, go see the diamond with your own eyes. Ask the dealer for a loupe, and look for the clouds, cracks, or chips that reduce it to a VS1 clarity. Then remove the loupe, and try to find them again. You can judge if you still like it or not.

If you are purchasing online, and cannot see the diamond right now. You have 30 days to return the diamond right? Well you can always get the diamond and propose, then tell her you want to trade up. I imagine that she will be overjoyed. You can return the diamond for a better one, and maybe the diamond you are looking for will be in stock after the christmas rush.

Thats all from me. HA

beantownboy

Rough_Rock
1st time poster, but, longtime reader.

It's actually an online order and only has a 10 day return policy. My concern is that I noticed a similar stone on GOG (same size, clarity, color) and even had the H&A designation. However, it looks like it's been sold, too bad. My concern is that if I had enough time I could have had a H&A stone for a bit more money. I keep second quessing if I'm getting a decent deal or should I hold off and wait for the right stone when more possibly become available?

Ohh by the way I only need to make this decision by morning (Someone needs to remind that this is suppose to be a fun experience...ya right).

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Beantown,

The 34.9/41 crown pavilion combo can really fly either way depending upon how the lower girdles were cut and also the variances. You are approaching a danger zone in the steep/deep combination of crown/pavilion which if you're going to pursue would be wise to have checked.

You may or may not have a leaker... the deciding factor may be your minor facet cutting. I've seen it both save the day on a rock and I've also seen it cause the stone to leak a little too much for my liking causing a pass.

If you're going to pursue it you may want to seek the councel of an appraiser like RockDoc, Rich Sherwood or Dave Atlas. If you'd like any assistance on this end let me know privately.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results