shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need advice on 1.5-2ct halo

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read somewhere that one of the reasons people send stones to IGI is because they know a stone won't make a GIA SI2 but they think it's too nice to be sold as a I1, so it's really a "SI3" stone. Might not be completely eye clean, but could still be quite nice.

That is absolutely right... happens all the time -- which is why I would stick with GIA/AGS so you know exactly what you're getting. The only reason I suggested the stone is for the price. I would go with either of the GIA J/VS2 stones if I could swing it, no question!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's pretty, BUT IGI J is likely equivalent to GIA K/L/M, so it will be much more tinted than the others. The gain in surface area won't be noticeable AND it's yellower AND more expensive.
Your best bet is EITHER GIA J/VS2 above. My advise is to put all the three I listed on hold before a lurker gets them.

It doesn't look like a L from the video. Looks close to this K https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-k-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3419389 which is on the lighter side when I search for Ks on JA's site. Still yellower than your average GIA J for sure.

@Getupkid rationally I totally agree with @msop04. The difference in size will probably not be super noticeable between a 1.7/1.8+ and a 2 carat stone. However, I've also been where you're at not that long ago and I know the "mind" carat size of 2 is powerful. So think for a moment as to what's more important to you: a 2 carat ring? (any 1.8 with a halo should get you there, and depending on the ring even a 1.7) or a 2 carat center diamond? If you choose to get a 2 carat center diamond you will be paying for it, either in price or quality. I know the allure of a 2 carat stone, and I personally ended up getting one. But I think when I looked the difference between 1.9 and 2 carats was at least $1,000-2,000 which is kind of a ridiculous amount of money to pay for 20 milligrams when you think about it.

Getupkid

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate you guys helping out, I'm probably frustrating you guys as much as the stores I have been shopping at. I think right now I am leaning towards the 1.83 that you sent but what is your thoughts on this one? Is it worth the extra cost for the color?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2768894

I was hoping to propose tomorrow but if I need to push it to next week it wont be a concern.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate you guys helping out, I'm probably frustrating you guys as much as the stores I have been shopping at. I think right now I am leaning towards the 1.83 that you sent but what is your thoughts on this one? Is it worth the extra cost for the color?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2768894

I was hoping to propose tomorrow but if I need to push it to next week it wont be a concern.

The reason why this is cheaper than your average G stone is because of the blob of carbon on the upper left side. Bigger blobs of black carbon tend to be easier to find with the naked eye. If it's SI1, you'd probably still have to look for it, so it might still be more of a mental thing, but I would not say this is "eye clean."

If you're looking to propose tomorrow or next week you're in for a tough decision. It's likely you won't be able to get a stone from James Allen or Blue Nile sent to you before your proposal. Some of them are still in India. So if you want to propose with a ring, you really either need to get it local, where you will be paying more for less, or get an inexpensive substitute ring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It wouldn't be to me... and it's got a big black carbon inclusion on the table that will be seen. The J/VS2 is a nicer cut as well. Since you're putting it in a halo, I would not pay the extra even if it were eye clean However, it's your dime.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG, please do not propose with a cheaper ring just for the sake of proposing tomorrow... that pretty much negates all of the work you have done trying to choose the best rock for your FF.

If you have not already, you need to put the 1.83 on hold.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

No, No, NO. :confused2: Msop04 posted some REALLY nice, less expensive stones here, i'd absolutely choose one of these:

And as stated, you'll be hard pressed to get the stone by next week. Is there a reason you can't put it off?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look like a L from the video. Looks close to this K https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-k-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3419389 which is on the lighter side when I search for Ks on JA's site. Still yellower than your average GIA J for sure.

@Getupkid rationally I totally agree with @msop04. The difference in size will probably not be super noticeable between a 1.7/1.8+ and a 2 carat stone. However, I've also been where you're at not that long ago and I know the "mind" carat size of 2 is powerful. So think for a moment as to what's more important to you: a 2 carat ring? (any 1.8 with a halo should get you there, and depending on the ring even a 1.7) or a 2 carat center diamond? If you choose to get a 2 carat center diamond you will be paying for it, either in price or quality. I know the allure of a 2 carat stone, and I personally ended up getting one. But I think when I looked the difference between 1.9 and 2 carats was at least $1,000-2,000 which is kind of a ridiculous amount of money to pay for 20 milligrams when you think about it.

Right, she would know it was a 2 carat… and that it was yellow. No bueno.

Regardless of it it looked like a GIA K or L, it's still more money for a yellower stone with a lesser cut.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would be more important to your FF?
A 2ct stone that has noticeable yellow tint (that you paid more for, mind you), or a 1.83 stone that is white facing, better cut, GIA graded, and looks the same size (for less cash)?

I mean, how is this even a question?? :confused:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know a lot of people who proposed with a placeholder ring and then went shopping for rings together. But that's really a personal decision, so you have to make your own decision on this one @Getupkid. A ring and a diamond are just objects at the end of the day. If you have the perfect proposal planned out and your date picked out don't let those stop you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...what you don't want to happen is to make up your mind, only to find out the stone has been sold. Please put up to 3 stones you're considering on hold at JA now. It doesn't cost anything, and will give you peace of mind that you don't have to make a knee-jerk decision right this minute.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a lot of people who proposed with a placeholder ring and then went shopping for rings together. But that's really a personal decision, so you have to make your own decision on this one @Getupkid. A ring and a diamond are just objects at the end of the day. If you have the perfect proposal planned out and your date picked out don't let those stop you.

Yes! This!
Coming from a woman, I can tell you the proposal will not be any less perfect by not having a ring…

However, settling for a cheaper ring could cause problems once the excitement of the proposal wears off... And you may regret not waiting the very short time to receive a lovely diamond.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, I put it on hold. Think it will be here by middle of next week? It says it will ship Monday September 25th with overnight shipping. I guess I need to find a setting now.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2424861

Yay!! I'm so happy you reserved it -- great stone for the money! If it ships overnight on Monday, then yes...

If you loved the setting at your local jewelers, why not just go with that? Did your FF pick that one out?? If so, GO WITH IT bc you KNOW she loves it. However, if you'd rather look around, just give your budget, and we'd be happy to help you.

Just know that if you need to ship the stone to another vendor, that will take longer. Not a big deal, but you seem to be in a hurry. Something to consider.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I want to be around $10-12 after tax and ring. The 1.5 is too high after thinking about it. Probably $10,500 max for the diamond

I didn't read through the whole thread so I apologize if this was mentioned but if you buy from James Allen you can get a $100 off code when you sign up for email and you get a couple hundred off when you wire transfer vs. pay on credit or finance. Also, no tax!

Getupkid

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I was thinking I would get it from my local jeweler. Free cleaning and maintenance and they warranty the small diamonds. Any reason why I shouldn't do that?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I was thinking I would get it from my local jeweler. Free cleaning and maintenance and they warranty the small diamonds. Any reason why I shouldn't do that?

No reason not to use your local jeweler if that's the setting you/she likes… But most any reputable vendor offers that same policy with their settings, so that shouldn't really be a selling point. And most ANY jeweler will clean your ring for free.

It sounds like you really love that setting, so I say go for it! You know the J/VS2 will fit, so win-win!

Remember, it's not the jeweler's business as to where you purchased your diamond. Since you aren't buying it from him, he is likely to badmouth it and start suggesting stones from him that are "a better deal." Don't even let him go there. Make it clear that it is a family stone from HER family... this way, it would be extremely rude for him to say anything bad about it or try to push a sale on you. Hopefully, your jeweler is ethical and would never suggest anything like that… But I'm just giving you the heads up. We see it all the time here, and I have personally experienced it. ;))

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I am late to the dance........took me a while to read all the post.
I must say I am dizzy after, OP, you going back and forth on where to buy the diamond and where to buy the setting.
People come to this forum for advice, they realize they have been getting jerked around by the brick and mortar stores, every time they go into one, they get a different opinion.
There are some very very smart people on this forum, MSOP has been very helpful to you. You can follow her advice or not, it is your coin.
It is my opinion if you buy the stone online and then have your local jeweler set it, you are asking for some trouble. Why if the diamond does not fit or the jeweler does not like the dimension to put in his halo. What if the jeweler cracks this 3rd party stone upon setting, here goes the finger pointing.
So there is an alternative, you can buy the stone and setting from the same PS vendor, this way you know it works, or you can send the spec of the stone to the halo maker you choose to make sure the dimensions fit and there are no surprises and then buy the stone from another PS vendor. Many on this forum have done the latter. We buy the stone from one vendor, send the specs to halo makers such as BE, VC or SK, or example and get their opinion. They can also source the stone for you.
You have also been given good advice not to buy and ungraded stone or a stone from IGI or EGL because for example GIA or AGS would grade it 3 shades lower.
Hey its your coin, and your decision, but I want to tell you something I learned a long time ago when shopping for diamonds and setting for my wife......there are no deals, you get what you pay for.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, last one. This one is within driving distance and wouldn't need to order from over seas...

1.82 J VS2 hearts and arrows - $10,210
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/product/diamond/?dmd_sku=183480

That's not an H&A stone...where does it says its an H&A?

I would stick with this. When you get it check it out in all different lighting conditions and see how it performs. Report back.
(remember most well cut diamonds will go dark in bright sunlight, check it out under the shade of a tree)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2424861

Getupkid

Rough_Rock
Ok, got the diamond in and should be ready to pick the ring up tomorrow. Went with the 1.83 J VS2. Beautiful, barely see the inclusion with the loop. A small hint of yellow but for the price I think it is a great diamond. This is it setting in top of the prongs, I’ll post again when I get it back set! Thanks for all y’all’s help!
D5A8EDDA-2448-42E4-9E6C-99A8F60D52AE.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Getupkid

Rough_Rock
D4730EDA-4FC9-4677-B799-9EAF216AAD0C.jpeg
She said yes! Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Attachments

• F0FF3BDE-5238-43A8-9622-F50C240B9FCB.jpeg
    F0FF3BDE-5238-43A8-9622-F50C240B9FCB.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 9

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congratulations to you both!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! It's a beautiful ring!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's a stunning ring and looks great on her!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results