shape
carat
color
clarity

Help narrowing down princess cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
I posted a couple days ago and after attempted to get 3 idealscopes from Dave at James Allen. To no avail, none of them were available by the time he could get the images back to me so I''m back to the drawing board and I can''t figure out where to go from here. I know there''s a lot, but try and help me narrow down the following stones! Thanks in advance.

#1 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-987358.asp - $1870

#2 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1077435.asp - $2070

#3 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1072450.asp - $2090

#4 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1087238.asp - $2070

#5 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-888095.asp - $1870

#6 - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1113412.asp - $1850

#1 and #5 are the two that Dave recommended, the others are ones I came up with. They are all between .68 and .72 carats, the two he came up with are "good" symmetry, while the rest are "very good" will that make a difference?

Just trying to get some help as after missing out on 3, I don''t know what to look for now. (I guess I could think of it as the ones I liked were pretty good if they disapeared that fast!)

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
I would skip out on number 6 b/c it has a feather in it. which i can clearly see.

Number one is quite beautiful. as is number three. and number five. dave didnt steer your wrong. my fav of those would def be number five though

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
I would be careful though with five it has medium flour. they sometimes appear milky in near colorless diamonds. And i meant number 3 was my fav not five!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know princesses, so take this with the tiniest grain of salt... but #3 has my favorite faceting pattern.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 8:11:33 PM
Author: cl2ysta1
I would skip out on number 6 b/c it has a feather in it. which i can clearly see.

Number one is quite beautiful. as is number three. and number five. dave didnt steer your wrong. my fav of those would def be number five though

Wow, you''re good. I need practice. I still can''t see the feather...

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
You would recommend the most expensive one! Is it worth $200 more than #1? And this is exactly why I posted those to look at, I guess I have no clue what a feather looks like, because I don''t see anything.

On a side note, the setting I think I''ve picked out is going to look very similar to your ring. It''s going to go in this: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_58-879.asp

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
OK- disclaimer here.... I have a princess stone and am a fan, but am NOT an expert. so also take my rec''s with a grain of salt.

I like #1, #3 and #5.

of the three, #3 gets the slight edge. only thing i don''t like about #5 is the Vthick girdle, which I''ve read can hide some weight and therefore make the stone face up smaller.

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
I just realized #4 has a thin girdle, so I think I might stay away from that one as well. Any thoughts good or bad on #2 or are people just in different about it? Is it just that people prefer something else over it or is there something specific?

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 8:52:25 PM
Author: rwvault15
You would recommend the most expensive one! Is it worth $200 more than #1? And this is exactly why I posted those to look at, I guess I have no clue what a feather looks like, because I don''t see anything.

On a side note, the setting I think I''ve picked out is going to look very similar to your ring. It''s going to go in this: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_58-879.asp
I got my setting and stone from james allen!!! it is the 18k channel set princess, but it is the wedding set one. I think it is a bit thicker band than the one you are looking at but i cant tell b/c they dont put width on it. anyhow on your question. There is nothing wrong with number 2 i Just liked the facet pattern on number three better. But than again it could just be the lighting. I think they are both equally beautiful. If you like numer two go for it. it is very nice too!!!

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
Well, hopefully at some point tomorrow I''ll have an idealscope of #1, if thats really good I''m leaning that way because the price is in my range. If it''s not great then I''ll look more into #2 and #3 probably. So I will definitely post the image when I get it.

Your setting does look a little thicker. The one I''m looking at has a similar tcw but in 14 diamonds. Hopefully the proportions will look similar seeing the center stone isn''t as big.

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 10:15:18 PM
Author: rwvault15
Well, hopefully at some point tomorrow I''ll have an idealscope of #1, if thats really good I''m leaning that way because the price is in my range. If it''s not great then I''ll look more into #2 and #3 probably. So I will definitely post the image when I get it.

Your setting does look a little thicker. The one I''m looking at has a similar tcw but in 14 diamonds. Hopefully the proportions will look similar seeing the center stone isn''t as big.
agreed! hope it all works out. I cant wait to see pictures

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
So after talking with Dave again this morning he agreed that an option with VG symmetry would be a better performer and where I''m on a budget that #6 might be my best option. It''s the smallest, but the actual measurements are as big if not bigger than some of the .72 ct, and is closer to square (I think 1.1 LW ratio). He agreed #2 and #3 were beautiful diamonds, but are $220 and $240 more expensive and all three are G VS1''s.

One thing surprised me though, he didn''t think an idealscope was necessary. I went ahead and ordered one anyways and should hopefully have it this afternoon.

Can someone describe to me where the feather is in the picture for #6? I can''t see it at 22x so I''m sure it must be eye clean right? I mean it is a VS1.

Now I don''t know if I''m making the right decision, hopefully it''s just the nervousness of getting closer to the finality of it all.

rwvault15

Rough_Rock
Here is the idealscope for #6, hopefully it works it''s the first time i"ve posted an image. Dave said this "looks very good" but I''ve definitely seen better. I haven''t seen enough to know if this is still pretty solid or if it''s just ok. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1113412.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
all the stones on your list are very good to me, or what I would consider above average. without Ideal Scopes or ASET on all of them, it is hard to say more.

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
you do get a pricescope discount from james allen. and you also can get another discount if you bank wire them money instead of paying with a credit card. Don''t know what your situation is, but just wanted to let you know!

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock

"Feathers: These are small fractures in a diamond. They are usually caused by the tremendous stress that the diamond suffered while it was growing underground. In some cases the feather both begins and ends within the diamond''s surface and, in other cases, the feather begins inside the diamond and extends to the surface. When viewed under magnification, some feathers are transparent and others have a light white appearance to them. The term "feather" comes from the fact that, under magnification, these fractures often seem to have an indistinct, feathery shape to them. While the idea of buying a diamond with "fractures" may sound scary, the reality is that, with normal wear and care, most feathers pose no risk to the diamond''s stability. Consider this: even with the feathers, these diamonds survived their growth and their journey to the surface intact. Once on the surface, they also survived the mining process, as well as the brutal stresses of the diamond cutting process. Though diamonds are certainly not invulnerable to damage, basic consideration to their care and handling during everyday wear will most likely protect them over the course of several human lifetimes. "

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/2001/may01/0501dg.html

some info on feathers!

good luck in your quest

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results