shape
carat
color
clarity

Help narrowing down a diamond... Which is best deal?

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
We have been searching high and low for an ideal stone for our preferences and budget. After reading through so much educational articles here on PS and GOG as well as many people's threads, I think we have narrowed down our selection to three stones. We've learned SO much that we feel like experts when talking to store salespeople! We looked in stores, but I think they just don't have enough stock to comparison shop and they don't provide enough information (like all the angles at some stores). I looked through WF, JA, Brian Gavin, GOG among others...

Here are the three that we're considering, all are from James Allen as they appeared to have most stock with parameters that we want. Their chat customer service rep tells me that they were all considered to be eye-clean (using their magnified imaging), but I submitted them to be inspected by a gemologist to confirm and get IS images as well. So dear PS-ers, I need your expertise, which is the best deal (assuming the IS and gemologist inspections come back ok)? Will post back once I get that data in 2-3 days.

Option 1: 0.780 AGS I SI1 $3160
Cut = JA True Hearts (AGS0)
HCA = 1.7
Dimensions = 5.88*5.91*3.61
Depth = 61.1%
Table = 58.5%
Crown = 35.1
Pavilion = 40.7
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1458708.asp

Option 2: 0.817 AGS I SI1 $3060
Cut = AGS0 Ideal
HCA = 1.5
Dimensions = 5.96*6.00*3.70
Depth = 61.9%
Table = 56.7%
Crown = 34.9
Pavilion = 40.8
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1458694.asp

Option 3: 0.785 AGS H SI1 $3480
HCA = 1.4
Dimensions = 5.91*5.93*3.63
Depth = 61.2%
Table = 57.3%
Crown = 34.7
Pavilion = 40.8
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1464804.asp

Thank you so much!!

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
Re: Help narrowing down a diamond... Best deal for <$3.5K

Forgot to say that we're looking for RBs, although you can see that through the links too. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it will be easier to evaluate when you have idealscope images for all of the diamonds.

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
slg47|1330311740|3135366 said:
it will be easier to evaluate when you have idealscope images for all of the diamonds.

I agree with you! However, I was hoping that perhaps PS-ers might be able to help me out and see whether there's anything wrong with these or whether there are better stones out there for this budget before the images come out. Once the images are out, we'll only have 24 hours to decide on one of these stones. So, are these the best options or are there better ones out there that I've just missed?

We were looking to spend between $3K - $3.5K for the stone, H/I color, VS2/SI1 (eye-clean) and HCA < 2 with AGS0 cut. We looked at GIA stones, but their excellent cut was all over the place when entered into HCA, which fits with what people have said about GIA cut grading here.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
midorimonsta|1330313998|3135385 said:

I agree with you! However, I was hoping that perhaps PS-ers might be able to help me out and see whether there's anything wrong with these or whether there are better stones out there for this budget before the images come out. Once the images are out, we'll only have 24 hours to decide on one of these stones. So, are these the best options or are there better ones out there that I've just missed?

We were looking to spend between $3K - $3.5K for the stone, H/I color, VS2/SI1 (eye-clean) and HCA < 2 with AGS0 cut. We looked at GIA stones, but their excellent cut was all over the place when entered into HCA, which fits with what people have said about GIA cut grading here.

well JA will only evaluate 3 diamonds and it looks like you picked 3 really nice ones!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Just FYI, you don't have to get HCA scores on AGS0 stones. They have been evaluated for light performance.

So much depends on whether these stones are eyeclean from the top and sides (you need to ask that question), but if they all are and have great idealscope images, I'd probably eliminate the first one because I'd choose the larger one I SI1 or higher color H over that one. But the extra information may make the decision easier!

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
slg47|1330314707|3135387 said:
midorimonsta|1330313998|3135385 said:

well JA will only evaluate 3 diamonds and it looks like you picked 3 really nice ones!

Thanks sgl47! ;-)
I know that they will only evaluate 3, so I think I researched SOOO much that my eyes feel like they're about to fall out. In fact, I didn't think I wanted to purchase from JA originally because their upgrade policy requires the new stone to be 2 times as expensive. But somehow, there's just not a lot of stock within our specs. I'm crossing my fingers on these three!

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330314991|3135391 said:
Hi! Just FYI, you don't have to get HCA scores on AGS0 stones. They have been evaluated for light performance.

So much depends on whether these stones are eyeclean from the top and sides (you need to ask that question), but if they all are and have great idealscope images, I'd probably eliminate the first one because I'd choose the larger one I SI1 or higher color H over that one. But the extra information may make the decision easier!

That's good to know! Thank you for reminding me of that diamondseeker... will save lots of time...
So far, the chat people at JA have been helpful, especially Bethany. One of their reps told me that the stones I chose might not be eye-clean from the side, but we'll see! Btw, Option 1 already has an Idealscope image as well as the Hearts image there... any thoughts on them?

Again, thank you... any and all advice is VERY appreciated as this is a big purchase for us! Did I mention that this was for an engagement ring? :naughty:

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
I just can't seem to stop searching for some reason! I've found two more and probably will switch some of the stones to be evaluated... How are these two? They are both VS1 instead. I know they are a few hundred more expensive, but still within our range of ~$3.5K. There's just a real lack of information on the GIA one (no inclusion map, no light reflection scan yet), but it looks good in the picture! I've been SO indecisive, even with the help of my dear boyfriend...

Option 4: 0.80 GIA I/VS1 $3560
Cut = GIA Excellent
HCA = 1.1 (ex-ex-ex-vg)
Dimensions = 5.97*6.00*3.66
Depth = 61.2%
Table = 57.0%
Crown = 34.0
Pavilion = 40.8
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1445018.asp

Option 5: 0.768 AGS I/VS1 $3630
HCA = 0.8 (ex-ex-ex-vg)
Dimensions = 5.93*5.97*3.57
Depth = 60.1%
Table = 57.5%
Crown = 33.5
Pavilion = 40.7
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1440102.asp

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
midorimonsta|1330387836|3135964 said:
I just can't seem to stop searching for some reason! I've found two more and probably will switch some of the stones to be evaluated... How are these two? They are both VS1 instead. I know they are a few hundred more expensive, but still within our range of ~$3.5K. There's just a real lack of information on the GIA one (no inclusion map, no light reflection scan yet), but it looks good in the picture! I've been SO indecisive, even with the help of my dear boyfriend...

Option 4: 0.80 GIA I/VS1 $3560
Cut = GIA Excellent
HCA = 1.1 (ex-ex-ex-vg)
Dimensions = 5.97*6.00*3.66
Depth = 61.2%
Table = 57.0%
Crown = 34.0
Pavilion = 40.8
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1445018.asp

Option 5: 0.768 AGS I/VS1 $3630
HCA = 0.8 (ex-ex-ex-vg)
Dimensions = 5.93*5.97*3.57
Depth = 60.1%
Table = 57.5%
Crown = 33.5
Pavilion = 40.7
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1440102.asp
Alright, I had Options 2, 4 and 5 evaluated. Finally, the Idealscope pics are out! According to the gemologist, Option 2 had a visible black crystal, so that's out of the running. Below are IS of Options 4 and 5 (magnified pics are in the links). Which one would you pick? The gemologist says that they are both completely eye clean and have great brilliance/fire/scintillation! He recommends Option 5, but only because it is True Hearts. Does anyone have experience with whether JA True Hearts are truly worth it (I see a bit of unevenness in the hearts picture as well as some dips in the valley of the heart which are not supposed to be good)? Only 24 hours to decide! Thanks for everyone's time!

Option 4
1445018id.jpg

Option 5
1440102id.jpg 1440102hearts.jpg

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
Could a kind soul help me out with these images? As much as I've learned here on PS, i don't think I can read IS images very well, aside from seeing what is more red or not. Right now, we are leaning towards Option 5, but am not sure whether there's something glaringly bad that I'm just missing.

Hopefully, I can get some feedback from you guys (my trusted sources), so I feel a bit more confident in this purchase. Thank you!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
both IS images look good. I would pick option 4 because it is larger and less expensive.

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your vote slg47!

So one vote from the bf for Option 5 and one from slg47 for Option 4. Any other votes would be very appreciated! :)

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you can go wrong with either one! I would pick the cheaper one, but even if pricing is the same, I would probably pick option 4 as I prefer crystal inclusions.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look great, and since they're essentially the same size and both have fantastic light return, I'd go with the less expensive one.

midorimonsta

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank all of the PS-ers who helped us out with our e-ring!!
We went with Option 5 in the end because we wanted to go with an AGS000 that had a signature cut. :love: It is BEAUTIFUL! We went with the platinum setting (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/ring/item_57-4132.asp), but with single claw prongs. My ring size is 4, but it is a bit loose and turns a bit on my finger. (Btw, the stats of the stone are further up the thread, but very quick reminder is that it's I/VS1/0.768 with HCA=0.8 and depth=60.1%)

I'm just so in love with it that I took a million pictures already. Here are some... As you can see, I've played around with these on Instagram, so the true colors are not obvious. Also, the diamond is probably a bit dirty in some pics when I was trying to capture the arrows. :D It is very white in all lighting that I've observed, and super sparkling! Can you tell that I'm smitten?

ring1_26.jpg ring2_23.jpg
ring3_14.jpg ring4_12.jpg
ring5_12.jpg hand1.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
it turned out wonderfully! Your option 4 was one I was considering recently!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it looks great!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results