shape
carat
color
clarity

Help. My new rings are scuffing each other

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
I have a question. My one week old diamond ring and my wedding band seem to be rubbing against each other and causing scuffing already. I've attached some pics. Should I be worried about it? Is there anything I can do about it? It wouldn't bother me as much if it had been 6 months or so, but I just got the rings last week!

Here are pictures of both sides. My wedding band doesn't look like it's taken much damage, but it's hard to tell.
image_180.jpg
image_179.jpg

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Re: Help. My new diamond ring band is already scuffed!

My e ring does seem to be looser than my band even though they're the same size. It rotates on my finger all the time. Do you think I should have it sized down a 1/4 size while it's still in the free resizing time period and maybe that would help with the rubbing against my band?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a cheapie spacer ring. It will take the brunt of the damage and can be easily replaced when its too beat up.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you should be worried since they are gold. Gold actually wears away over time! If switching to platinum or palladium isn't an option, you can either get a spacer or solder them together. OR, just wear the rings on separate hands. I hate wearing two rings together, I am just way too anal about it because I've seen the damage it can cause. Good luck!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings have been rubbing for 7+ years, they're still standing fine but the rhodium does wear quickly. It doesn't bother me anymore, I just deal. If it really bothers you then having them soldered is the only thing. If you get a spacer then the spacer will just rub instead, that's metal next to metal, it's just what happens. If I ever have my set redone I'll be going with platinum to avoid this in the future. They will scratch too but will not thin out or lose material.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to add that my grandmother wore her 14k white gold wedding set for a while ( I think maybe 15-20 years?) before she switched to a wide gold yellow band. She gave me her set and both rings at the bottom are paper thin! It's scary how fragile and thin they are. :errrr: I don't dare wear them together.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I wouldn't worry the wear seems worse because its on a fresh service they'll get a nice patina in a month or two and the wear wont be noticeable

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Raemoore3|1447856954|3951254 said:
My e ring does seem to be looser than my band even though they're the same size. It rotates on my finger all the time. Do you think I should have it sized down a 1/4 size while it's still in the free resizing time period and maybe that would help with the rubbing against my band?

Yes if it spins its not the right size

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Thanks y'all :) It just took me by surprise since I've never worn two rings together. What's strange is that my e ring is getting all the wear. I looked at my band closer and don't see any wear at all! They're both 14k white gold and rhodium plated.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Raemoore3|1447902043|3951567 said:
Thanks y'all :) It just took me by surprise since I've never worn two rings together. What's strange is that my e ring is getting all the wear. I looked at my band closer and don't see any wear at all! They're both 14k white gold and rhodium plated.
Will you always wear them together? If so, have them soldered together :)

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
Niel|1447902264|3951569 said:

I will. How do I go about that? Find a local jeweler? And will that affect it getting free replating in the future or will they just replate it together?

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock

Niel|1447902030|3951566 said:
Raemoore3|1447856954|3951254 said:

Yes if it spins its not the right size

James Allen will resize it for free, but I want to wait a bit and think about it. I don't want to size down then get to warm weather and wish I didn't.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
I'll probably just wear the e ring by itself and replace it with the band when I'm at home or doing yard work, etc.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Get a spacer

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Raemoore3|1447902412|3951573 said:
Niel|1447902264|3951569 said:

I will. How do I go about that? Find a local jeweler? And will that affect it getting free replating in the future or will they just replate it together?

Yes a local jeweler would do it. From my understanding lager you would just have a jeweler separate them

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results