shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Meeting FFMIL... what to bring her?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Folks,

So, I posted about how I''m going abroad to meet M''s parents and about the language / cultural barriers that might arise. Anyway, I''ve been thinking about the present suggestion that some of you made, and I''ve got a FAB idea for M''s dad. He collects a certain kind of book, and I know just where to get him something for his collection.

But Future-Future-Mother-In-Law... that''s trickier. Here''s what I know about her. She''s around 60, very elegant, was a stay-at-home mom, very ''beautiful home'' oriented (but I probably couldn''t afford something that she''d like...never mind that stuff''s hard to pick for others), intelligent and sophisticated...

Heeelp! I have no idea.
32.gif

And I asked M and he seems a little stumped too. ARGH. Boys.

What are good ''everybody would love to get...'' type gifts? Around $40-60? That can withstand a long journey by plane?

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could always bring her a book as well, like a coffee table book. Do you know what her interests are, or her hobbies???

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whenever I go to meet people that are important I always bring a basket of locally made products from my area. They always LOVE it and think it was very thoughtful of me to have brought something that I took the time to put together. I usually have some handmade cards from a local artist, maple syrup, aged cheddar , a lobster magnet, maple candy, etc. (Can you TELL I''m from New England??). Anyway, my baskets are still talked about by a few people I have given them to.

But then again, my FFMIL is very easy to please. Also wouldn''t work if your FFMIL is on a restricted diet or not a foodie...

I''ll think and see if I can come up with anything else.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Food - I go to Fortnums and buy things like shortbread and stilton and a bottle of decent whisky etc

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
I''ve done interesting local potted plants (FMIL loves gardening) and that''s been a fun gift since one of the 1st plants I ever got her is STILL alive 6+ years later... YAY!

or... I''ve done some baking for her (she loves Italian cookies but hates to bake)

or... found the newest book of an author I know she reads (from asking around or from seeing it in her house)

or... something fun and silly like an expensive kind of body lotion, or bath products... generic girl "stuff"

or... and this one is CHEESY but works every time... good framed pictures of either jsut her son (which he probably would never give her himself) or pictures of hte two of you... I''ve done a bunch of those photo frame collages for her and she LOVES them... now they''re all over the house. a bit odd to me at first, but she adores them... I also did some organizing/framing of some of their older photos from when he was little. big hit!

good luck : )

and just know that flowers & a bottle of wine can NEVER be wrong (unless she''s allergic or an alcoholic) : p

Aussie : p

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
I agree witht he idea of bringing something that would match her likes, but making it local. You dont need to bring anything that you could find there. Even something that you may like so that she can relate whatever you give her to you.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of bringing a consumable good from home ie food but you need to be really careful about bringing things like that abroad often times there are customs regulations about things like that. I frequently travel from Canada to the USA across the border and GOD FORBID you bring an orange I swear that almost warrents a cavity search. Just be careful on that one.

What about some pretty writing paper or something like that. I love stationary and some very nice note cards or something would be nice. Then if you get on well you could write to each other. I am addicted to paper products though so take that with a grain of salt.

Something else that could be nice is you could arrange to have flowers sent to her a few days before you go with a nice not saying how much you look forward to meeting her that way she would already have a good impression before actually meeting you.

:) Rebecca

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
My FMIL is dutch and has a beautiful collections of dutch porcelain dishes, vases, etc. (blue and white designs). I ended up travelling to the Netherlands for work so I brought her back some and saved it for when I visited. Try asking FF if there''s something that she collects or if there''s a scheme to the decor of her home. Perhaps you could bring something that works into the collection or decor? It doesn''t have to be big or expensive. Many tasteful items are available at a very affordable price!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone! What a lot of great suggestions.

It never ceases to impress me how kind and helpful people are on this forum.

I''ve been giving it a lot of thought and I think what I''ll do is bring her a novel from my home country translated into her language, and some Vosges Chocolates, just to prove that America is no confectionary wasteland! Plus, they are packaged so beautifully. I love that purple ribbon!

Sparkel: Yes, bringing food across borders can be tricky. I''ve generally had no problems with chocolate, so I will hope for the best!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 11:28:30 AM
Author: sap483
My FMIL is dutch and has a beautiful collections of dutch porcelain dishes, vases, etc. (blue and white designs). I ended up travelling to the Netherlands for work so I brought her back some and saved it for when I visited.
That's Delft blue! And they are beautiful. Very thoughtful gift. (And Delft is such a gorgeous, cute little town!)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
This afternoon, we''re headin'' on out across the sea... I ended up unable to find the kid''s book I wanted to give M''s dad, but I bought a box of Vosges'' ''Exotic Caramels'' which I hope they will both enjoy. And I''ll pick up a bottle of something. Not as personal as I''d hoped, but then, as M pointed out, they won''t be expecting anything at all!

Wish me luck!
35.gif

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
Good luck Indy, have a nice trip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results