shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Karter

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now. In a nutshell, I lost (or it was stolen) my ring 3 1/2 years ago. I am finally out of denial and hopes of ever getting it back.. more a "sentimental" thing. Unfortunately, it was not insured...

So I''m looking at GOG or Whiteflash with the "H&A" or "Ideal" cuts... want approx 1.12-1.21 ct, ideal cut (SI! or SI2) and most likely in a WF "Diamonds for Eternity" setting.. platinum.

My question (finally...) Is an ideal cut J color to yellow for this setting? I''ve never seen I or J color stones... my old was was H SI1

I''m in no hurry (obviously I''ve gone with no rings for 3 1/2 years..) so I''m willing to wait for the right stone, but want to be intune to what i should be looking for.

Off the record, you are all fantastic! And, boy, the rings on this site are spectacular!

Karen

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
I would stick with the "I". It''s near colorless, and with an ideal cut it should face up nice. Do you have a budget? Check out superbcert.com. They have a good selection with great prices.

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
What cut? Princess, round, etc....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well cut J will still be white. Those who are colour sensitive will disagree but for most people, it is a warm white. I have 2 J coloured diamonds both set in platinum, so no worries about setting J coloured stones in platinum. Many other pricescopers have done the same.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 1:57:13 PM
Author: jdneal22
What cut? Princess, round, etc....
The request for H&A clues me in that she is looking for RBs.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Karen!

Colour sensitivity varies as Chronie says, but plenty of fab white facing J's here set in platinum, with delighted owners. GOG and WF are excellent vendors who will help you every step of the way with their expertise, just tell them what you are looking for and they can recommend diamonds which may suit you. GOG sells beautifully cut diamonds as does WF, who have their fantastic A Cut Above range and also their Expert Selection which missed being an ACA by a hair, so you will be in good hands!

Also nice pick John!

Karter

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a round... my $ range is $5500-7500 (a big gap, I''d prefer around the $6500 range, but will go up a bit if necessary)

Karter

Rough_Rock
John,

That diamond is beautiful! I was thinking of spending a bit less, however, it appears what I''m looking for is more in this $8K-$9K range.... maybe I''ll go with a tiffany style setting, and go for the bigger, BETTER diamond

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karter

Rough_Rock
I like those stones you sent, Chrono.. Thanks.

My question also is.. when I look at the AGS report, is it better to have the inclusions in the middle of the diamond as opposed to then sides?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the size of the inclusion and the colour. Usually, to the sides (not on the table) is preferred.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 3:37:27 PM
Author: Karter

My question also is.. when I look at the AGS report, is it better to have the inclusions in the middle of the diamond as opposed to then sides?
No hard and fast rules, it depends on the colour, type, size, visibility of the inclusions, some might think it is best to have inclusions on the edge of the diamond, however with some feathers it might be best that they are away from the edge, but the clarity plots can look worse than they actually are. It is best to ask the expert who would be the vendor the particulars of the diamond you are interested in, each needs to be taken on a case by case basis.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:40:50 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 7/25/2007 3:37:27 PM

No hard and fast rules, it depends on the colour, type, size, visibility of the inclusions, some might think it is best to have inclusions on the edge of the diamond, however with some feathers it might be best that they are away from the edge, but the clarity plots can look worse than they actually are. It is best to ask the expert who would be the vendor the particulars of the diamond you are interested in, each needs to be taken on a case by case basis.
Absolutely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice, Ellen. I picked G and H because I think Karter is a little nervous about I and J.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:47:05 PM
Author: Chrono
Good choice, Ellen. I picked G and H because I think Karter is a little nervous about I and J.
I must have missed that? Can''t find it...
33.gif
Sorry!

Karter

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions.... I''m not *nervous* about I and J.. well, maybe a little. I just have never seen an Ideal Cut diamond in this color....

Some of these I''ve looked at (WF AGS reports) look a big "scribbly" (if you will) in the middle... I''m not sure that will make a huge difference.

should I look for flourescense in a lower colr diamond? Also, I think what you are all saying is an ideal cut, G-H color SI1 is safe? Correct?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 4:12:08 PM
Some of these I''ve looked at (WF AGS reports) look a big ''scribbly'' (if you will) in the middle... I''m not sure that will make a huge difference.
Sometimes, the inclusion diagrams look worse than the stone. Did you see the magnified pictures? I had to strain my eyes a little to find the inclusions on 2 of the ACAs.
should I look for flourescense in a lower colr diamond? Also, I think what you are all saying is an ideal cut, G-H color SI1 is safe? Correct?
Flourescense isn''t needed unless you really love the effect. G/H is plenty white. Yes, G/H, eye clean SI1 is a great combination.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results