shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with this ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
csj,

What about something like this?

Knox Jewelers'' Serendipity

For what it''s worth, I can''t see the setting you originally posted but from what you and others are saying, you want something wider with channel set princess stones. The above matches your description, but with a single row of diamonds, which I think will ''age'' better.

csj

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies!

This one is similar to what I''m looking at:
http://www.abazias.com/images/upload/ENG-SS-13-5206_builder_head_full.jpg

We are not planning on doing a second band, the engagement ring will be the wedding band, that''s why we are choosing the 5-7mm width.

This really helps, I think if I put a cathedral on the one from Abazias I would almost have exactly what I''m looking for. Although the Round H&A with side princess cuts is GORGEOUS.

What do you think of the specs on the diamond I was looking at?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Bluenile.com? They have some gorgeous channel settings!!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 7:29:28 PM
Author: csj
Thank you so much for your replies!

This one is similar to what I''m looking at:
http://www.abazias.com/images/upload/ENG-SS-13-5206_builder_head_full.jpg

We are not planning on doing a second band, the engagement ring will be the wedding band, that''s why we are choosing the 5-7mm width.

This really helps, I think if I put a cathedral on the one from Abazias I would almost have exactly what I''m looking for. Although the Round H&A with side princess cuts is GORGEOUS.

What do you think of the specs on the diamond I was looking at?
I think if you are going to wear it stand alone, 5-7 mm will be fine . . .

I know little to nothing about princess cuts so I cannot give you any opinions. With princess I stick to posting AGS0 diamonds. Maybe someone with more princess experience will chime in.

csj

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''ve looked at BlueNile, didn''t see anything really.

That''s what I''m hoping is that someone has seen a similar design to the one I''m describing, these last few posts have been great!

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 7:52:47 PM
Author: hikerchick
Okay, I know NOTHING about this company so I am not recommending them, just linking a setting similar to your description.

http://www.debebians.com/prcutdiinset.html
OOOOh, that looks pretty good. Mind you I'm going to have this ring custom made based on your designs. A family friend will save me a good amount of money on my custom setting.

Thanks for the help!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 7:54:34 PM

Date: 4/15/2007 7:52:47 PM
Okay, I know NOTHING about this company so I am not recommending them, just linking a setting similar to your description.

http://www.debebians.com/prcutdiinset.html
OOOOh, that looks pretty good. Mind you I''m going to have this ring custom made based on your designs. A family friend will save me a good amount of money on my custom setting.

Thanks for the help!

Also, I''m not sure what happened to the links to my images in my initial post...they have disappeared, I''ll have to get those back up tomorrow!
Cool !!! That website has a number of similar settings to use as reference.

csj

Rough_Rock
Here is the original ring from the first post.

csjringcomp.jpg

csj

Rough_Rock
Here is the other I found on Knox that I''m liking. Anyone else know of something similar?

knoxcomp.jpg

csj

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bump this thread but I''m going to the jewelers tomorrow so I want to get all that I can together.

I think I''ve nearly exhausted my options.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the single row "Serendipity" from Knox Jewelers the best. However, if you''re looking for a double row, I definitely like the Knox Jewelers double row you posted the best. It''s much less clunky looking than the others (abazias.com, the original photo).

I would also recommend that you don''t get two rows of princess cut diamonds without metal in between because that type of setting (called invisible setting) is too delicate for daily wear. There was just a thread where people talked about that type of setting (I think the title is Princess Cut Pave or something similar) and the way the diamonds are set, if you lose one diamond, the entire setting is ruined.

Hope this is helpful!

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 7:56:36 PM
Author: thing2of2
I like the single row ''Serendipity'' from Knox Jewelers the best. However, if you''re looking for a double row, I definitely like the Knox Jewelers double row you posted the best. It''s much less clunky looking than the others (abazias.com, the original photo).

I would also recommend that you don''t get two rows of princess cut diamonds without metal in between because that type of setting (called invisible setting) is too delicate for daily wear. There was just a thread where people talked about that type of setting (I think the title is Princess Cut Pave or something similar) and the way the diamonds are set, if you lose one diamond, the entire setting is ruined.

Hope this is helpful!
Absolutely helpful, I couldn''t decide on the middle metal, but that really helps. Thanks

csj

Rough_Rock
Any other last opinions?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
keep the width of the ring less than the width of the stone.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

I have an asscher (square cut) solitaire with a channel set wedding band, so I can relate to liking the modern, clean lines and square stones. However, I would strongly suggest shying away from a very thick band - I like a single-row of channel-set stones better for two reasons:

1. A thicker band makes the diamond look smaller. My diamond is 7.2 x 7.1, with a 3 mm band, and I already wish that I had picked a 2 mm band, because it makes the diamond look bigger.

2. My mom has a thick wedding band (8 mm) and she never wears it, because she finds it impractical/uncomfortable for everyday wear. She had 3 kids, and with the household responsibilities of cooking/cleaning/babies always having her hands in water, she says that she hated the way water would just sit and collect under the band - she woudl always have to take it off to dry it. She has since replaced it with a 4 mm band.

Here is a link to a setting that I actually tried for my asscher when we were ring shopping, but I really had my heart set on a solitaire, so we decided on that instead - still, I think that this would be a great look with a princess:

http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/item.php?cat=12&item=41

Here''s a full page of his designs - I actually think your fiancee may like these a little more than the one you show in the photo, because they''re a little more unique:

http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/category.php?cat=12

Good luck! :)

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 3:58:17 AM
Author: JulieN
keep the width of the ring less than the width of the stone.

Thank you, he mentioned that in our meeting :).

Date: 4/17/2007 9:28:37 AM
Author: vespergirl
Hi there,

I have an asscher (square cut) solitaire with a channel set wedding band, so I can relate to liking the modern, clean lines and square stones. However, I would strongly suggest shying away from a very thick band - I like a single-row of channel-set stones better for two reasons:

1. A thicker band makes the diamond look smaller. My diamond is 7.2 x 7.1, with a 3 mm band, and I already wish that I had picked a 2 mm band, because it makes the diamond look bigger.

2. My mom has a thick wedding band (8 mm) and she never wears it, because she finds it impractical/uncomfortable for everyday wear. She had 3 kids, and with the household responsibilities of cooking/cleaning/babies always having her hands in water, she says that she hated the way water would just sit and collect under the band - she woudl always have to take it off to dry it. She has since replaced it with a 4 mm band.

Here is a link to a setting that I actually tried for my asscher when we were ring shopping, but I really had my heart set on a solitaire, so we decided on that instead - still, I think that this would be a great look with a princess:

http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/item.php?cat=12&item=41

Here's a full page of his designs - I actually think your fiancee may like these a little more than the one you show in the photo, because they're a little more unique:

http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/category.php?cat=12

Good luck! :)

Thank you for the recommendations. She actually picked that ring out on her own, she prefers thick bands. If we do a small band we would want to do 2 wedding bands on either side, so we decided on a wider band. It's going to be ~6.5mm to a 4.5mm taper.

We are going off of the design I posted from Knox.

Now I have 2 main concerns:
1)On the crown, you can either have hooks or little corners that the diamond sits in, does anyone know a name for these? It looks like he wants to do the one with the corners.

2)I have a dilemma on whether to set the diamond on point, so the diamond is on an angle, or setting it square. I rarely see anything set any way but square, but when I have it's really pretty.

Thanks for your help.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
go with the v-tips. they are safer than regular prongs.

hum, I bet kite set would be pretty, and offer more contrast than the regular orientation. and usually makes it look bigger. If you do it this way, you absolutely must go with v-tips, as the corners are more exposed.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
In the photos you posted it looks like the princess cut is set on the bias...with the tips at the top, bottom and sides...to me, that looks like it could chip more easily but thats just how i'm reading the photos. Just to give you a different perspective, have you looked through the "Show me The Ring" thread? It's quite long and has so many photos of people's erings that you might see something in there that strikes your fancy...

Someone just posted this similar ring on another thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-cut-engagement-ring-1-ctw.60815/

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 9:32:00 PM
Author: JulieN
go with the v-tips. they are safer than regular prongs.

hum, I bet kite set would be pretty, and offer more contrast than the regular orientation. and usually makes it look bigger. If you do it this way, you absolutely must go with v-tips, as the corners are more exposed.
Thank you for giving me the names. So as it stands we are looking at doing the V-Tips no matter what setting. We might build the ring in such a way that we could reset the crown from Kite to standard if it is decided we do not like the other.

Date: 4/17/2007 9:45:48 PM
Author: surfgirl
In the photos you posted it looks like the princess cut is set on the bias...with the tips at the top, bottom and sides...to me, that looks like it could chip more easily but thats just how i''m reading the photos. Just to give you a different perspective, have you looked through the ''Show me The Ring'' thread? It''s quite long and has so many photos of people''s erings that you might see something in there that strikes your fancy...

Someone just posted this similar ring on another thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-cut-engagement-ring-1-ctw.60815/
Thank you, I''ll go through the thread.

Any other input, you guys are saving me many headaches!

csj

Rough_Rock
I haven''t found any images of a starset/kite set Princess Cut. Does anyone have any? I''ll continue to look in the meantime.

csj

Rough_Rock
I looked through every picture in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/ !

Couldn''t find a Starset, lol.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:15:02 PM
I looked through every picture in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/ !

Maybe time to add one to the thread, then
emwink.gif

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:59:34 PM
Date: 4/18/2007 9:15:02 PM

Maybe time to add one to the thread, then
emwink.gif
Haha, I guess so huh! I''d just like to get an idea of what to expect.

csj

Rough_Rock
Starset or standard set,...help me! I''m supposed to let the jeweler know today
40.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 5:32:51 PM
40.gif
It is such a personal choice . . . hard to say, ya know ???
Personally, I like standard set but if the starset is more unusual you can do that to have a more unique ring? Six of one . . .

csj

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 8:12:29 PM
Date: 4/20/2007 5:32:51 PM

40.gif

It is such a personal choice . . . hard to say, ya know ???

Personally, I like standard set but if the starset is more unusual you can do that to have a more unique ring? Six of one . . .

Ya I can understand that...ack what a decision. I ended up getting until today to make the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results