shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with this Oval - It''s it a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

p10

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing an Oval diamond. Is this a fair price? Is this a decent cut? I think it a 1B or 2A. I just want a nice stone at a fair price. I looked at several stones and this one does appear brillient w/ very little bowtie effect.

Oval
1.79 carats
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Table: 60%
Girdle: Med to Thick
Depth: 65.3
Dimensions 9.77 * 6.48 * 4.23
Length/Width Ratio: 1.51
Cutlet: 0
Flouresence: None
Cert: GIA
Polish: Good
Sym: Good

Price $9500

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All these seem above average (except price, as it should). If you have really found an oval with little bow-tie, get it: these are not all that often seen! If anything can go wrong with the fames light return in this (assuming you consider this parameter, which I guess is not mandatory), it would be that pavilion depth. However, with the given depth/table combination I could not imagine the pavilion depth throwing the stone off the desirable cut area (where do those 1A-2B come from?).

Really, congrats!
appl.gif

PS: there is one 'competitor at hand: No 5342845 at Abazias, cf. Pricescope search, but no guarantees about looks there...

p10

Rough_Rock
I arrived at the cut grade from the oval

Table: 60% is 1A
Girdle: Med to Thick is 1A-2A
Depth: 65.3% is 2B
Length/Width: 1.5 is 1A-2B
Polish/Sym: Good/Good is 1A-2B

Therefore isn't this a 1B/2A based on the following:

All characteristics need to be all 1B or 1A to 2B. Only a single class 2 characteristic is permitted. The class 2 characteristic should be within 2% or 2 degrees of the 1B characteristic.

Does anyone else have opinions on this diamond? I want to buy it but I need some support to know I'm getting what I'm paying for.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Unfortunately I am not "somebody else" but I do have a couple of things to add...

The cut ranking you are using awards a final cut grade based on all the parameters indicated, including girdle thickness and pavilion depth. If you do not have information on these parameters, you cannot deduce the overall cut grade (say, pavilion depth may be 8%, a 3B, then the whole grade is brought down already, this may happen with a thick girdle which is another parameter which can bring the cut class down... you know). However, all this means that you need one some more numbers to use the respective system.

If the stone looks nice for you as compared to stones with similar specs you have seen elsewhere (preferably other sources), then why not? The price is decent (no discount but abuse either) and a good looking oval is a nice find to boot. With the stats available, I doubt there could be more precise comments on cut using the systems PS does. However, I would be the last person to say that the best cut grading tool is just the plain old eye sight on a nice cloudy day (meaning no jewelry store or other light polution sources). If you are after a stone guaranteed to look brighter than most peers, than the vendor ows you some more detailed cut specs (after all, it is their call... I guess).

Is the priceright for a decent F, SI1 oval? Yeah. if the stone does not scream 'BAD CUT HERE', it is. Is this the BEST you can get? Depends on what your choices are. I have never seen the stone, and the given stats cannot convey its likely immage TO ME. You have seen it...
4.gif

Hope someone-else kicks in too... Best of Luck!
5.gif

p10

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your help Val.

The jeweler is going to make the deal a little sweeter by including the setting for $1000. I think it's a good price because I saw similar settings priced from $1500-$2500. The setting will be platinum with 4 princess cuts in a channel on each side. TCW ~0.6-0.8. VS G/H stones.

It is so difficult buying something like this. I don't know much about the diamond industry, want to get a fair deal, and want the diamond to be the best I can afford. Your help has made me feel more comfortable with the purchase.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds good! Even if the setting would be worth (or possible to buy) for half that, it would still make a nice deal. The stone is a no-excuse choice, if one is buying diamonds not optical devices
5.gif
I surely hope your jeweler has a digital camera!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results