shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with this M VS1 diamond

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
I have searched for a big with some warmth stone on pricescope and this one seems check all box.
It is M, VS1 with strong blue Fluorescence. I asked the vendor and they said there is no hazy and milky.
HCA is 1.8(EX), EX, VG, VG, VG. Is it good enough?
GIA VG, EX, EX. Apparently not 3EX :(

I noticed that there are crystal and have asked the vendor about it. Have not heard from them regards this. At VS1, do I need to concern whether its eye-clean?

Could you diamond expert offer any suggestions? Is there anything else I should pay attention? Thanks!

Here is a pic and GIA report from vendor.

screenshot_2016-01-18-17-10-24__3_.png

untitled_51.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kind of stone. M for warmth and strong blue for some fun under direct sunlight. :love: :love:
The proportions are potential AGS Ideal. HCA score is under 2.0.

Except... I am just curious why "very good" for cut grade... because of the girdle thickness???

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
flyingpig|1453188523|3977815 said:
Except... I am just curious why "very good" for cut grade... because of the girdle thickness???

Hi flyingpig - yep, I reckon it's because, even though everything fits within the ex cut grade, the one thing that knocked it back is the 'girdle thickness verbal description' - so while the girdle comes in at 4.5% (still within the acceptable range...it may have just slid in with rounding), the person doing the visual inspection has given it a verbal grade of 'thin-thick', which is a VG and would over-rule the GIA Facetware result.
But other than that I can't see any reason it would be knocked back from an Ex cut.
Hope this helps

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I recall reading if the girdle is very thin, it gets a vg cut grade. But this girdle is only thin. I'm curious about the cut grade as well. Maybe it's 60/60 coupled with 40.8 pa? 60/60 needs a slightly less deep pavilion?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADN|1453191240|3977818 said:

Hi flyingpig - yep, I reckon it's because, even though everything fits within the ex cut grade, the one thing that knocked it back is the 'girdle thickness verbal description' - so while the girdle comes in at 4.5% (still within the acceptable range...it may have just slid in with rounding), the person doing the visual inspection has given it a verbal grade of 'thin-thick', which is a VG and would over-rule the GIA Facetware result.
But other than that I can't see any reason it would be knocked back from an Ex cut.
Hope this helps

Thank you ADN.
I did further reading on GIA's website.

If the thick girdle is only "flaw" and has no significant negative effect on light performance, this may be a good purchase as long as it is priced according to "very good" cut grade.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love warm diamonds, and I love fluorescence...but in the picture, the diamond looks quite hazy.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Adding to the sensible comments above:

* Yes: Girdle running to thick is the reason for VG. If it had been Thin-STK the cut grade would be 3EX
* Be aware that this puts some weight in the middle, so it spreads more like optimally cut 3.25 carat RBs
* By the numbers it's in the 60-60 classification, although the odd girdle makes it (technically) 60-61 =)
* The positive of the SB Fluorescence could be facing-up with less visible color in many conditions, however...

Tourmaline|1453213425|3977869 said:
I love warm diamonds, and I love fluorescence...but in the picture, the diamond looks quite hazy.
This should be a priority in evaluation. Maybe the diamond is clear and the photo just isn't clear. However the presence of any haziness should be assessed, especially when accompanied by fluorescence. Here is why; Microscopic pinpoints which persist throughout a diamond can affect transparency when dense enough, even when undocumented at 10X grading. This haziness can be slight to severe, with many slightly hazed diamonds never even detected by the average jeweler. When noticed, slightly to moderately hazed diamonds are described as “sleepy."

Furthermore; when a hazy diamond has fluorescence, persistent pinpoints or clouds can become more noticeable when that fluorescence is excited/reacting to UV. This causes a lot of professionals to blame haziness on strong or very-strong fluorescence, even when the impact of haze and fluorescence may be independent of each other.

Strong and Very Strong fluorescent diamonds should be verified as free from any milky or oily appearance due to boron over-saturation. Such "overblue" diamonds are extremely rare, to the point where some gemologists seek them as collection-items with no success. But, like verifying there's no monster under my bed, I've always slept better taking a look and knowing it's not a problem.

A final FYI which may not matter: There is an indented natural on the pavilion, running to the girdle. While this is no problem as it relates to durability, and probably will have no influence on your deliberations, it will make any future recut or repair tricky were that ever needed.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody!
I have requested the vendor to evaluate the stone in person to rule out hazy/sleepy ...

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Here is another candidate:
3.17 L SI1
HCA 1.7 EX VG EX VG EX
GIA EX EX EX

Should I worry about the feather and crystal? They claimed its totally eye clean.
Also, this vendor is usa certied diamond and they only give 10 days return window. Whether they are reputable? Anyone has bought from them?

igc3__1_.jpg
igc2__1_.jpg
igc1-1.jpg
igc1.jpg
untitled2_1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results