shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with this CAD please!

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Hello all. :)

I have been working on my RHR project, I was so excited that I got my CAD mock up.... and then I wasn't

I don't feel like its what I asked for and I just honestly don't like it.... My husband received it first and send it to me and even he was like that's not what I was expecting (and he's very easy going)

So we had figured out when we were at the jeweler with the sales person-

1- I liked the way my center stone looks with the yellow gold/white gold mix
2-I wants 8 tiny claw prongs (4 sets of 2)
3- I wanted a half diamond band (we played around and decided 5 pointers)
4- A pretty basket not the "u-shapped" look
5-The halo sitting pretty flush with the center stone
6- a double halo tilting outward slightly- so it is gracefully curved and not harsh
7-We decided we thought 5 pointers for the halo around the stone and 2.5 pointers for the second halo to make a nice soft transition

Below is a picture of my center stone and these are the 5 cad pictures

I don't think they are what I explained, but I am not sure how to re-explain it-- I think there is way to much metal and its chunky, and the stones in the halo look like weird polka-dots... I think the profile is funny and I wanted a double halo that sloaped not one and a side facing one? Does that make sence? Maybe I am over thinking this but please some help and opinions would be appreciated. This setting was by no means cheap (over 6k) and I want to be happy with it.

:sick:

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Center stone and another CAD angle

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Yes it is a PS vendor. That's why I was a little shocked that I felt we were so off the mark... And I was worried I somehow mia-explained myself. We looked at many settings in store and then this is the photo I showed them (and they took a copy) to show the double halo (one larger then one smaller)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
wow that is bad who is the Vendor?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I hate the CADs for you. :errrr:

My comments...
- If you are trying to achieve the previous picture I think 5 pointers are going to be too big for the halo.
- I think you better find a picture of a gallery you want and tell them to make it like that gallery (because the one they did is not good).
- All the stones look like they are gypsy set (where they are sort of set into the metal). I'm sure this is not how you want them. Why
isnt the CAD reflecting your choice of pave setting?
- If it were me I wouldnt have much faith that this vendor could produce what I wanted and make me happy. I think I would find a
different vendor. Maybe this type of ring is not really the vendors specialty. (sorry vendor)

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Ok I am glad that I am not over- reacting. I sent some photos of different baskets (Please correct me if I am wrong-- is the official term gallery?) this morning to give a more visual image. I did not want the stones gypsy set at all-- I think that's the part that bothers me the most! I looks like polka dots to me. The reason we had decided on 5 pointers and 2.5 was a proportion thing. My ring size is a 10.5 so proportionally that's what looked nice on the band... then we matched the band to the first halo.--I have NO problem making the stones smaller or whatnot if its going to look right. I don't even have a problem with a single halo vs a double.... I picked a double because of my large finger size.

I have a few questions on CAD;s as well-- even after I read the awesome article gypsy wrote.... Are they supposed to be proportionally sized to what the ring is actually going to be? My ring size is a 10.25 (we talked about making the ring a 10.5 and adding a small sizing bar if necessary since I fluctuate) and my center stone is an oval of 10.6x8.29x5.17. To my untrained eye it looks like the band is not large enough? (I literally cut the photos out of paper to see proportions on my hand when I measured the center "stone" to proportion.)

Thank you so much for your help everyone.... I am feeling much calmer. I know the vendor I am working with is awesome-- I just don't know if the visions are clashing. We did put a deposit down to do the CAD ($500) and I don't want to lose that but I am upset and confused :errrr:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
If that is the inspiration picture you sent and that is the CAD that was produced I am not holding out much hope you are going to receive the ring of your dreams - I would be running for the hills and finding another vendor

Just a thought have they got your CAD mixed up with someone elses

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont want to change your whole design but have you thought about doing a split shank? Since this is a rather large stone with a
rather large halo I think a split shank would give the look of more support and look more in proportion. With a 5 point halo what
is the overall length of the top of the ring going to be?

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
I was originally thinking a split shank- but my e-ring is a split shank with a twist (I don't know if that has a technical name) and my other RhR is a traditional split shank... so I was looking for something different. Hubs basically said what ever I want as long as it doesn't look to similar to my e-ring (he is super proud when we got engaged 4 years ago he picked it 100% by himself)

We emailed the sales rep at GOG this morning with specific pictures and a ton of questions/comments/concerns so maybe hopefully it will be more clear? There reputation is so good and they couldn't have been nicer when we were talking/were there so I am going to hope I am just terrible at explanations. I didn't think twice about putting down a deposit to start the CAD process because I honestly though we were on the same page, I walked out of the store thinking this is going to be exactly what I was looking for--she "gets" me.

And with 5 pointers I do not know the diameter of the halo plus stone but will work on finding out.

I basically want a double/single halo in a mix of white and yellow gold that the stone sits flush in. I have big fingers so I wanted decent finger coverage and liked the styling of the above photo (the outward tilting halo). Its supposed to be a fun cocktail ring so flashy and sparkly is awesome-- but I don't want to cross into tacky....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha' on the split shank. I know GOG can do this type of ring. Hoping that your next set of CADs are closer to what the real
ring looks like. Post when you get them.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1456075408|3993686 said:
I know GOG can do this type of ring.
If you can share links to threads with pics of halo rings that GOG's bench has created for PSers, those could provide some much needed reassurance for the OP.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The most important thing when choosing a jeweler to create a custom setting is to find one who has expertise in creating the style you want. We each have our niche - modern, vintage style, micropave, etc. I can't speak to any specific vendor's custom settings, but in general you really need to do a lot of research and see samples of other rings (s)he has created, as well as their level of CAD expertise, since you are relying so heavily on CAD images in the design process.

Good luck with your project - if you find that one vendor isn't the right fit for you (communication style, etc.) it's not too late to pull the plug and use someone else. Better now than once you have a ring you don't love, because that will be an even bigger hit than possibly losing a CAD fee or small cancellation fee now. PS'ers here will be able to recommend the best vendor for your budget and scope of work. Beautiful stone!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dev, this is just an aside, but I love the yellow and white gold, it's more unusual, and your stone will look so beautiful.. the only thing I can really see off is that the halo seems to be slanting totally down instead of flowing like.. I am sorry, I can't really say what I mean but I think you get my idea.. when you get the stones in the right side I can't wait to see your finished product, it's very unique!!

peace.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone~~ So I go an updated design (sketch?) to the original ring that I have commissioned and so far I am happier then the first... I still just don't feel like its right. I would really appreciate some feedback regarding this setting. I am still getting it in half yellow gold half white-- which I very much liked (really the only thing that I liked from the first design!) I feel like the halo is overwhelming the stone and it looks to BIG...It is a fairly good sized stone and it looks small to me... I like the double that is facing up MUCH better then the weird side halo of the first design, but I really feel like the outer halo should have much smaller stones-- like a finishing edge almost. We had originally talked about using 5 pointers and then 2.5 pointers for the second halo-- and to me it looks like they are the same size? Also I had said I wanted 4 sets on small double claws (8 total) and it looks like 4 to me....

You all have been so helpful, and I honestly feel like we are going in the correct direction, but some feedback, opinions and ideas would be much appreciated! I want to go back to the jeweler with a clear plan and adjustments.

Thank you!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry..

To be honest, the profile reminds me of UFO from the 60/70s with some sort of trypophobic decoration.
or.. the Space Needle in Seattle..

I don't know how to improve this particular design, but I have seen more elegant halo designs, both in person and in CAD images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
flyingpig|1456526680|3996280 said:
sorry..

To be honest, the profile reminds me of UFO from the 60/70s with some sort of trypophobic decoration.
or.. the Space Needle in Seattle..

I don't know how to improve this particular design, but I have seen more elegant halo designs, both in person and in CAD images.
Yup. I can help you. Just later this weekend or this week

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For one thing, I would ask them to send you a copy with mm lines on it so you can see/figure out the size of the stones
and everything else. I think that would be really helpful. How do you expect/want the stones to be set? Or ask them
how they are planning on setting the stones in the halo/shank. The CADs still dont show this. Are you happy with the
look of the gallery?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry it looks like a mushroom sat on stilts WOW who is this vendor

IMO you need a split shank running up to the main body of the ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having thought about this overnight. I would cut my losses.

And work with a different vendor. I would work with BE. Or WF. Seriously. This is just bad.

And why are going for such HUGE melee stones in the halo? It's just making the halo proportions completely off. And well... honestly, it's just bad.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
Thank you, for your honest opinions. I do appreciate it. I am coming to the same realization that our visions are just not meshing up. GOG has been nothing but lovely to work with. The customer service and the store has been nothing but wonderful- but its just not working. I would absolutely work with them again-- just not on this project.

That being said, I need a setting. Gypsy recommended WF and BE. I want to make sure I get it right this time. Here is what I am looking for:

-one or two row halo
-mix of white and yellow gold
-no spilt shank (my e-ring and other rhr are and want something different)
-a good amount of finger coverage on a size 10.5 finger
-8 nice looking claw prongs (2 sets of 4). I just like the way that it looks --I'm fine with 4 delicate prongs if the jeweler has a reason not to want to do 8-- I am obviously not a jeweler
-Budget-now at this point with the re-do between $5000-$6000

I love the double row pave Emilia from Victor Canera... He was the first person my husband reached out to when. I started this project. He was in budget-- but because of my previously bought stone that wasn't from him and some policy issues regarding insurance, we unfortunately couldn't work with him at this time.

Please someone help me figure out what exactly to ask for--and from whom-- before my husband trades me in for an upgrade :pray:

Thank you all again... I appreciate the advice the people involved in my real life basically are telling me "you get what you get and you don't get upset"

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With your budget, I don't think you have to go with CAD.

A 5-pointer halo will definitely overwhelm the center stone. I understand you are going for finger coverage, but a halo should be in proportion to the center stone. Otherwise it's more of a cluster than a halo. Even 2.5 pointers are big for a halo. I hear what you are asking for, but I don't think it's going to have the effect you want of highlighting (rather than burying) your center stone. Perhaps what you want is, indeed, a cluster with a halo around it. In any case, yeah, those CADs were scary. I think you should explore hand-forged.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not necessarily against of chunky halo with 4 or 5 pointer stones. The curvature of each side stone is still visible, creating a beautiful floral appearance overall.

Smaller melees, in contrast, blends in with the centre stone more effectively.

Here is a chunky halo I like
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extra-chunky-idj-halo-reset.212540/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extra-chunky-idj-halo-reset.212540/[/URL]
What I cannot imagine is adding a second row of melees, which will destroy the flower-like look.

I personally much prefer a single halo. But if a double is what you like, there are much better ways to do it.

Lastly, I did not like how those melees look buried in the metal, as a previous poster mentioned.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
I am by no means set on 5 pointers or 2.5 pointers. That's what that this newer came up with. I am no way set on that at all

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dteven Kirsch. You budget will work for him. First choice.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
So after a re-do with some lovely help from you all and many panicked threads, I got a progress picture from Steven Kirsch. I am so excited the stone isn't set yet but he was saying that he thinks it will be done early this week so I could have it by next week. I am so glad I listened to everyone's advice and just wanted someone to share progress pictures with. What do you think!

Thanks dev!!

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! Thanks for posting an update. I remember reading your original thread and it's nice to know how everything it turning out. It is also kind of neat to have the photos of your ring in progress in the same thread as those original God awful CADs. You can see such a big difference between what you almost got stuck with versus the masterpiece that is unfolding in the recent shots. Can't wait to see the finished product!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
devthinksnpink|1460243959|4017408 said:
So after a re-do with some lovely help from you all and many panicked threads, I got a progress picture from Steven Kirsch. I am so excited the stone isn't set yet but he was saying that he thinks it will be done early this week so I could have it by next week. I am so glad I listened to everyone's advice and just wanted someone to share progress pictures with. What do you think!

Thanks dev!!

Hi Dev,

I was just looking at your GORGEOUS ring and looked at your back story and the progress pictures of SK's work. Your ring turned out so beautiful! He is currently working on a ring for me. It looks like SK lined your basket with a gold "pan" for a lack of better term...He had asked me if I wanted my basket lined and I assumed just the inside of basket itself, but I didn't think it was a full reflective pan that precluded a visual from seeing the full underside of my diamond.

Is that how your diamond is? How do you like that? Is it a challenge to clean? Did he explain the benefits to creating your setting that way (assuming I am seeing it correctly :)

Thank you so much for your help and feedback!!!
Lainey

same2cool

Rough_Rock
normal prong gauge size should be 0.5 and height 0.68
surface thickness : 0.5, which is 25 gauge.

it is best for printing. you can add 0.2 to 0.5 supports thickness to STL file after fixing.
I am also jewelry designer so i know it. very well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results