shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my OEC pendant setting

Which appeals to you most?

• Option A: 2 baguettes in the bail, 3 rounds set in fishtail prong placed diagonally

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Option B: 2 baguettes in the bail, 3 rounds bezel set with milgrain

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Option C: Mish-mash of shapes - smallest round set in pear shape bail, followed by fishtail prong an

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

happybear

Shiny_Rock
So I've caught the OEC bug too :rodent:

With my limited budget, I managed to win this ring from eBay that had 2 OECs in them. Honestly, the ring was not very attractive, but I was hoping to use that to my advantage because that would mean I'd have less competition in the bidding war :naughty:
Besides, the ring had 13g of gold, which I could trade in to offset my setting charges. Here's a picture of the ring:

The OECs measures 4.25mm and 4.8mm.
Initially I wanted to set them as earrings but my jeweler felt the size disparity is too much for earrings so I decided to make a pendant instead. I have another small (~20point) diamond from another ring I purchased off eBay to make it into a 3-stone pendant.

For the 3 diamonds size comparison, I've taken a photo of the two rings together.

Next, the design of my pendant. I've roughly come out with 3 options and these are shown in the next post below. All the diamonds will be from the 2 rings, even the baguettes in the bail. Of course, please note the mock-up below is not to scale (oh, how I wish! :twisted: )

Please share with me your choices and thoughts on the design(s).

Thank you :wavey:

3 diamond size comparison.JPG

Attachments

• ebay purchased OEC ring.bmp
    490.7 KB · Views: 802

happybear

Shiny_Rock
The options are as shown:

Please forgive the poor mock up! I just cut and paste some of the photos I found that have the setting I wanted. :loopy:

Pendant project.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love the bezel!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Option B for sure. Just flows better, plus I love the milgrained bezels!!!! :love: :love:

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Although all of the designs are pretty, I like option B the best too - it looks the most elegant to my eye.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback so far! 8)

Do you think it's better that I do away the baguette bail and just have the chain slot through the smallest round diamond?
The rectangular bail doesn't seems to flow so well with the diamond and round shape in Option A & B.

I love bezel milgrain too! Though my jeweler said it'll cost more as it uses more gold :nono:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
1000% option B the bezel design is so pretty and just flows and I love the baguette at the top!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Option B

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In B switch the stone order. Put the smaller diamond between the larger diamond... see here

file.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore milgrain bezels, but I'll have to second Gypsy's suggestion. I also do not think the baguette goes with it style-wise. I'd probably also look and see if there were other vintage designs, as well.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1318211515|3036829 said:
In B switch the stone order. Put the smaller diamond between the larger diamond... see here

Oh Gypsy, that's beautiful! Thank you for the suggestion.

diamondseeker2006 said:
I adore milgrain bezels, but I'll have to second Gypsy's suggestion. I also do not think the baguette goes with it style-wise. I'd probably also look and see if there were other vintage designs, as well.

Diamondseeker2006, thank you for the feedback. Yes, I'm beginning to think the baguettes should just be used for other project since it doesn't quite go with the style I want here. So far, the only vintage design I can think of are fishtail prongs and bezel milgrain though. I'll do a search later to get more inspiration.

Amys Bling & Bella_mezzo, thank you for chiming in!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does this look to anyone else like C-3PO's head got squished?

file.php

C-3po.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1318230261|3036936 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that you mentioned, it does look like C3-PO's head!
Maybe the previous owner of this ring is a big fan of Star Wars. :razz:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Option B, handsdown for me. It flows beautifully! Great find on eBay!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love option B, just think the bezels suit it perfectly!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1318230261|3036936 said:

file.php

OMG...thats hilarious!

happybear

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1318244712|3036976 said:

Thanks, yennyfire!
I've to thank LGK for giving me the idea of looking for an unattractive ring to salvage. Wasn't it she was saved a 0.6ct OEC from a ring that was otherwise a lump of gold? I was quite surprised when the auction ended shy of $700 - for a 13g gold with 1.3ct of diamonds. My jeweler said I did good. :rodent: Though he doesn't understand why I'm so enthralled by old cuts. He's not very well versed in old cuts and actually called these as rose cuts! He also feels old cuts are of lesser quality and thought the diamond traps at the side gives more value... :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
happybear|1318288177|3037309 said:
yennyfire|1318244712|3036976 said:

Thanks, yennyfire!
I've to thank LGK for giving me the idea of looking for an unattractive ring to salvage. Wasn't it she was saved a 0.6ct OEC from a ring that was otherwise a lump of gold? I was quite surprised when the auction ended shy of $700 - for a 13g gold with 1.3ct of diamonds. My jeweler said I did good. :rodent: Though he doesn't understand why I'm so enthralled by old cuts. He's not very well versed in old cuts and actually called these as rose cuts! He also feels old cuts are of lesser quality and thought the diamond traps at the side gives more value... :roll:

Um... does he have any in stock? I bet he'd under value them enough that it might be worthwhile to see. Heck if he doesn't like them maybe he'll give them away for a steal! LOL.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1318289676|3037331 said:
Um... does he have any in stock? I bet he'd under value them enough that it might be worthwhile to see. Heck if he doesn't like them maybe he'll give them away for a steal! LOL.

LOL ::)
No, he doesn't carry any old cuts.
Old cuts are not common nor popular here in Singapore. Maybe I should start trawling generation-old pawn shops here for deals, seeing how undervalued the old cuts are in the jewelry market. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
happybear|1318292620|3037369 said:
Gypsy|1318289676|3037331 said:

LOL ::)
Maybe I should start trawling generation-old pawn shops here for deals, seeing how undervalued the old cuts are in the jewelry market. :naughty:

I certainly would!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results