shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my first coloured purchase!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey there coloured lovers,
I have long admired all your beauties, but knowing nothing about coloured gems have felt too inadequate to make a purchase.
7.gif

I have also been lusting after a WF bezel pendant, but the size diamond I''d prefer (~0.7ct) is not in my budget at the moment - so I would love your help in choosing a coloured gem instead.

A couple questions - which species should I look to for everyday wear?
What is the difference between concave and regular cutting? Is either better?
Suggestions for good vendors to start looking?

What is a good size to look for a practical pendant?
And for a first purchase, should I have it set in the WF gold pendant or try to find a silver smith instead?

Sorry about so many Q''s, as you can tell I have no idea where to start, but am excited to do so!

thanks so much in advance for your help.
1.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
What''s your budget? What''s your favorite color? Would you want to get your birthstone? From what I''ve seen on this forum, cut is key for a out of the ballpark gemstone. On the other hand, a lot of people feel that if a stone speaks to you with great color, that''s fine too!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jelly,
thanks for the response.
My birthstone is ruby, which I'm not that fond of.

Of the colours I've been looking at, so far I'm fond of these:
light green mint, http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/804071.htm
orangey-pink, http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/730071.htm and http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR014.htm
and orange-yellow http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR073.htm

so as you can see, I'm pretty open to suggestion lol!
I'm thinking garnet, and have been browsing colour-change garnet, such as this one http://www.gemselect.com/color-change-garnet/color-change-garnet-189004.php

I'm leaning toward a cushion shape.

The budget is kinda tough - I guess it will depend on how I decide to set it, and whether I make it a serious "cut to order" project or just buy something to try it out for the first time, ya know? Also, I have no idea what to expect to pay!

Does anyone know how much it costs to have Jeff White cut a garnet? And is this a safe choice of stone as fare as wearability in a pendant?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
OMG that light green garnet/tsavorite is GORGEOUS!!!

Garnets should be fine for pendants in that they are 7-7.5 on the moh scale.

I''m no expert in colored gems...just a lurker mainly, but I don''t think you can lose going with Jeff White. Everything I''ve seen here is gorgeous!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 3:16:12 AM
Author: Jelly
OMG that light green garnet/tsavorite is GORGEOUS!!!

Garnets should be fine for pendants in that they are 7-7.5 on the moh scale.

I''m no expert in colored gems...just a lurker mainly, but I don''t think you can lose going with Jeff White. Everything I''ve seen here is gorgeous!
I know, I''m in love with the mint green one.

TY for your input.
5.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
For a pendant you can expand your gem selection beyond what is suitable for a ring, you''ll be more limited by what your jeweler feels comfortable working with. Garnets, tourmalines, beryls, spinels, quartz, chrysoberyls would all be suitable for everyday wear and they all come in a variety of colors and prices.

Regular facets are flat and concave facets are just that, concave. One''s not better than the other, it all depends on the look you like.

AC Stones is always good. They''re having their August sale now so pickings may be a bit slim but if you find something you like that''s unsold, you can get it a nice price.

Art Cut Gems has some nice gems at reasonable prices. They also do jewelry work as well so if you like a stone that''s a bit delicate (sphene for example), it''s a good idea to have them set it.

Other places to look at: AJS Gems, All That Glitters, Mineral Miners.

A good size is what ever size you like to wear; if you like smaller jewelry then buy small, if you like larger jewelry then buy large. My pendants range in size from 4mm wide to over 15mm wide.

Whether it''s your first purchase or your 50th, put it in something that you''ll wear otherwise you''re just wasting money. Getting a gold stock setting from a place like Stuller or Adwar is probably more economical than getting a custom job in silver.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Kismet, thankyou so much for the info this was exactly what I was looking for.
I''ll let you know how I go!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 3:02:20 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hi Jelly,
thanks for the response.
My birthstone is ruby, which I''m not that fond of.

Of the colours I''ve been looking at, so far I''m fond of these:
light green mint, http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/804071.htm
orangey-pink, http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/730071.htm and http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR014.htm
and orange-yellow http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR073.htm

so as you can see, I''m pretty open to suggestion lol!
I''m thinking garnet, and have been browsing colour-change garnet, such as this one http://www.gemselect.com/color-change-garnet/color-change-garnet-189004.php

I''m leaning toward a cushion shape.

The budget is kinda tough - I guess it will depend on how I decide to set it, and whether I make it a serious ''cut to order'' project or just buy something to try it out for the first time, ya know? Also, I have no idea what to expect to pay!

Does anyone know how much it costs to have Jeff White cut a garnet? And is this a safe choice of stone as fare as wearability in a pendant?
Here is a link to some good examples of a concave cut. You will see quite a difference between Richard Homer''s work and Jeff White.

http://www.winkjones.com/colored/index.php

LS

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LS for the link.
I have been looking at coloured stones all day, my head is swimming!
I think my fave so far is the Imperial Garnet - I love that light pinky-orange tone. Is this generally a more expensive type than "regular" garnet?
And where would you say is the preferable place to purchase one?

thanks so much for the advice!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 6:33:29 AM
Author: Kismet
For a pendant you can expand your gem selection beyond what is suitable for a ring, you''ll be more limited by what your jeweler feels comfortable working with. Garnets, tourmalines, beryls, spinels, quartz, chrysoberyls would all be suitable for everyday wear and they all come in a variety of colors and prices.

Regular facets are flat and concave facets are just that, concave. One''s not better than the other, it all depends on the look you like.

AC Stones is always good. They''re having their August sale now so pickings may be a bit slim but if you find something you like that''s unsold, you can get it a nice price.

Art Cut Gems has some nice gems at reasonable prices. They also do jewelry work as well so if you like a stone that''s a bit delicate (sphene for example), it''s a good idea to have them set it.

A good size is what ever size you like to wear; if you like smaller jewelry then buy small, if you like larger jewelry then buy large. My pendants range in size from 4mm wide to over 15mm wide.

Whether it''s your first purchase or your 50th, put it in something that you''ll wear otherwise you''re just wasting money. Getting a gold stock setting from a place like Stuller or Adwar is probably more economical than getting a custom job in silver.
Kismet, I have never looked on Stuller before - is there some kind of trick to seeing the prices, or do they onlly sell to jewellers
33.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 9:05:26 AM
Date: 8/3/2008 6:33:29 AM

Author: Kismet

Kismet, I have never looked on Stuller before - is there some kind of trick to seeing the prices, or do they onlly sell to jewellers
33.gif

Yes, they only deal with the trade. If you see a setting you like, your jeweler can probably order it for you.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
When I dealt with Jeff White, he would give me a range per carat price...so I had an idea if I was talking thousands of $$ or hundreds, or tens... it helped a lot. I also told him what my top price was as well, so we were both on the same page. No point in a cutter searching for the "perfect" one for you, if they have $1000 in their head, while you have $100!!
9.gif

You can probably get a sense of cost on some stones from websites, but others vary widely depending on the colour saturation, origin and cut.

Some of the websites posted above have pricing, might help you get started.

Usuallly an e-mail to the co. will give you an idea of the pricing...unless they are 'trade' only, as you've already discovered.

Good luck. Happy Hunting!

LS

ETA: I *think* that if there is a stone in Jeff White's gallery that you love, he would give you a ballpark of what the stone sold for. That might help too....

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
First we have to teach AJ how to spell colored.

Aussies...
20.gif
9.gif
35.gif

(she probably still thinks the trunk is the boot, the elevator is the lift, and the TV is a telly)
25.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry PP, but its the yanks who mis-spell it.

The aussies, brits and we canucks KNOW it has a "u" in it!
31.gif

LS

ETA: though we canucks ditched boot, lift and the telly quite a while ago!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d also check out Dan Stair. I think he''s holding out on us, because he hasn''t dropped anything in a month, but I still think he''s worth checking out.

Link

Also, read the descriptions carefully of the stones if you see something you like-his camera takes beautiful shots of the stones and their cuts, but it washes out the color a bit. And, of course, he can cut things custom for you.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Nice coloured shoes, Freke!

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks.
28.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 1:39:08 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Thanks.
28.gif
So that''s like photoshop layer #2, correct? ie: over top of the purple, which is layered over top the blue??
9.gif

you are so clever.

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's actually layer 2 over just the blue. I had to save the purple, and it's easier to do it over the original-looks better. I tried doing it over the purple at first, and it looked all splotchy. Plus the color didn't come out right.
I'm having issues, if I decide to do some kind of green, I have green heels almost identical to the blue, but I like to play with photoshop....

I think I'm using my avatar as a sign of things to come...
27.gif
3.gif
31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 2:02:17 PM
It''s actually layer 2 over just the blue. I had to save the purple, and it''s easier to do it over the original-looks better. I tried doing it over the purple at first, and it looked all splotchy. Plus the color didn''t come out right.

I''m having issues, if I decide to do some kind of green, I have green heels almost identical to the blue, but I like to play with photoshop....

I think I''m using my avatar as a sign of things to come...
27.gif
3.gif
31.gif

Hmmmm I sense a purchase in your future.... topaz, perhaps?
11.gif
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 1:47:45 AM
Author:arjunajane
Hey there coloured lovers,
I have long admired all your beauties, but knowing nothing about coloured gems have felt too inadequate to make a purchase.
7.gif

I have also been lusting after a WF bezel pendant, but the size diamond I''d prefer (~0.7ct) is not in my budget at the moment - so I would love your help in choosing a coloured gem instead.

A couple questions - which species should I look to for everyday wear?

Look for something in the sapphire/topaz/spinel/garnet ranges. I strongly recommended against going for one of the rarer and softer stones such as sphene, especially if you want to bezel set. You are asking for trouble! If your birthstone is a ruby, I would think about a nice red spinel!

What is the difference between concave and regular cutting? Is either better?

For examples of concave cutting have a look at Richard Homer''s website - personally I''m not a fan, but it is very clever.

Suggestions for good vendors to start looking?

I have stones from Palagems, ArtCutGems, Wink Jones. Pala is trade only, but good for looking at nice examples. Ditto cherrypicked.com

What is a good size to look for a practical pendant?

With coloured stones you need to look at mm dimensions not carat weight. I''d look for something 8mm and up personally.

And for a first purchase, should I have it set in the WF gold pendant or try to find a silver smith instead?

Have a look at Stuller, I had a 4ct oval and 2 smaller rounds that I wanted to set in simple yg settings. I had a look in the Stuller online catalogue and then gave Wink the numbers and he ordered them. They have loads of different versions and quite a number with melee.

Sorry about so many Q''s, as you can tell I have no idea where to start, but am excited to do so!

thanks so much in advance for your help.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 9:04:27 AM
Thanks LS for the link.
I think my fave so far is the Imperial Garnet - I love that light pinky-orange tone. Is this generally a more expensive type than ''regular'' garnet?

There is a huge difference in price with different garnet species and again within the species itself.

Fine demantoid and fine tsavorite garnets will come with a pricetag in the $ thousands.

Fine spessartite is not far behind.

The ''regular'' or almandine garnets are inexpensive, fine ''Imperial'' is a LOT more expensive. Check out some prices on the net and you''ll get a fair idea.

With coloured stones, the Cs are in a different order of importance - namely: Colour, Carat, Clarity, Cut. Colour is always king! Obviously some cuts are just too bad, but I have no problems with one that is a wee bit wonky if all the other boxes are ticked!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 2:05:50 PM
Author: geckodani
Date: 8/3/2008 2:02:17 PM
It''s actually layer 2 over just the blue. I had to save the purple, and it''s easier to do it over the original-looks better. I tried doing it over the purple at first, and it looked all splotchy. Plus the color didn''t come out right.

I''m having issues, if I decide to do some kind of green, I have green heels almost identical to the blue, but I like to play with photoshop....

I think I''m using my avatar as a sign of things to come...
27.gif
3.gif
31.gif
Hmmmm I sense a purchase in your future.... topaz, perhaps?
11.gif
2.gif
Muah ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY, another convert to the colored side!!!
27.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2008 2:26:27 PM
Author: Pandora II

Thanks LS for the link.
I think my fave so far is the Imperial Garnet - I love that light pinky-orange tone. Is this generally a more expensive type than 'regular' garnet?

There is a huge difference in price with different garnet species and again within the species itself.

Fine demantoid and fine tsavorite garnets will come with a pricetag in the $ thousands.

The 'regular' or almandine garnets are inexpensive, fine 'Imperial' is a LOT more expensive. Check out some prices on the net and you'll get a fair idea.

With coloured stones, the Cs are in a different order of importance - namely: Colour, Carat, Clarity, Cut. Colour is always king! Obviously some cuts are just too bad, but I have no problems with one that is a wee bit wonky if all the other boxes are ticked!
9.gif
GOOD info Pandora .... I believe that is the order of how I picked my cushion sapphire.... Color,Carat,Clarity, and Cut!!!

ETA: I won't really add to what others have said... but take your time and enjoy your search! Welcome to the world of COLOR!!!!!!!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thankyou all for the wonderful advice and warm welcome!

You have all made some excellent points, I will follow up on the links.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 2:26:27 PM
Author: Pandora II

Thanks LS for the link.
I think my fave so far is the Imperial Garnet - I love that light pinky-orange tone. Is this generally a more expensive type than ''regular'' garnet?

The ''regular'' or almandine garnets are inexpensive, fine ''Imperial'' is a LOT more expensive. Check out some prices on the net and you''ll get a fair idea.

9.gif

Thanks Pandora - after trawling for hours, I am starting to get an idea of the price ranges..(sort of, lol).

I am really into these pinky-orangey-brown colours, and have been focusing my search on Malaia garnet.
Specifically, I found quite a good range at multicolour.com and feel something about 8-9mm is a good starting point for me as far as price point.
Are you able to offer some advice on these couple I''ve put in a list - ie. are the cuts just no good, could I do better elsewhere? Are native cuts always kinda bad? Or does cut not matter that much?
https://www.multicolour.com/account/wish/index.html?/wish/ymg211ak/

thankyou!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 12:47:15 PM
Author: purrfectpear
First we have to teach AJ how to spell colored.

Aussies...
20.gif
9.gif
35.gif

(she probably still thinks the trunk is the boot, the elevator is the lift, and the TV is a telly)
25.gif
ha ha purrfect - I''m gonna defer to LS on this one - and then I''m gonna take the lift out of work so I can go home and watch the telly, lol!
11.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi, can you put the links to the stones directly - I can''t see your list I''m afraid.

Native cut is not a great expression. There are cutters in the country of origin who are true masters and others who are not, ditto for everywhere else. Take every stone as an individual. I have more ''native'' cuts than any other sorts and love them. I like minor imperfections if possible. I find super high-tech cutting rather too ''washing-machine'' like if that makes sense - amazing technology but rather unromantic!

Worth checking under Malaya as well as Malaia - the name game is enough to drive you crazy!

Multicolour can have some very nice stones, but it''s a definite hunt to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results