shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my custom e-ring CAD!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
My bf and I are custom making my e-ring and we just received the CAD/rendering! It is a 2.14 VVS2 D emerald cut flanked by two .48 radiant cuts with small rounds on the band. I definitely want to make a couple of small changes on the rendering - (1) change to single claw prongs on the three mains stones, (2) the gallery rails/supports of the three stone to be less chunky, more delicate, and (3) more rounded at the base of the shank for a more comfortable feel. But I would love some advice about what (if any) other changes should be considered! This is my first time doing a custom piece and I am feeling the pressure - it's an expensive, sentimental purchase so I want it to be just right.

Before you ask, I don't know the measurements of hte band/height etc. but will ask for the details.

Thanks in advance!!

unnamed.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to see the numbers on the CAD before commenting.

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
Bumping this in the hopes that I will get some advice (as stated in the original post - hoping to get the measurements soon). Thanks in advance!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get something that looks like this:

FAC71B4C-0DDD-4A76-B861-F02777F7CBF9.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s a gorgeous ring. Something to Keep in mind is that it will look less “bulky” for lack of a better term in person, in real life. This is a substantial piece that appears to be of very high quality... one that will last a lifetime. Don’t start “whittling it down” too much. Especially with the underside of the shank. Keeping it consistent all the way around is important for its stability on your finger... and that definitely plays into being comfortable or not. Having the ring “rock” because you’ve rounded the bottom will most definitely not be comfortable. I love your design... I never would’ve thought to do that pairing but it’s so beautiful and clearly custom, in its design... but also from these images clearly a custom piece. Congratulations!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@headlight Thank you - that's really helpful. This is exactly what I plan on discussing with the jeweler in person. I agree that consistency is important and that I want it to be stable and secure. Thank you so much - I honestly didn't think of the combo either until the jeweler went through numerous cuts with our emerald stone and and then it just sorta clicked! :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The only reason I know this stuff is because I've made a lot of jewelry "mistakes"! So hopefully here I can save someone the agony and expense from my lessons. I can't wait to see the finished piece on your hand!

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@headlight - oh no!! that's awful - but I will take the expertise ;-) I will definitely post when it's all done and on my finger!! :)

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, SB! First, let me congratulate you on your engagement. Second, I think you will have a stunning emerald cut center! I haven’t seen a paring of radiant sides with an emerald center so I‘m truly excited to see your completed ring!

I do own a three-stone emerald cut ring and can tell you that I agree with you on the first 2 points you brought up. I opted to have double claw prongs on all three main stones and a less chunky gallery/rails for a more delicate look.
I wanted a very delicate look overall to balance the boxiness of all three stones. I opted for an engraved shank/band as my budget didn’t allow for stones on the band ( I wanted all French cut stones for the shank). In a all, I’m very pleased with the way it turned out.

So yes to claw prongs and a delicate gallery/rail on yours. As for a more rounded bottom, you might want to ask your jeweler for his/her recommendations. Headlight brought up a valid point about overall consistency/stability of the ring affecting comfort. I have arthritic hands so that was a factor in how mine was made. Anyway, here are the cads for my ring:
5E3FC3CF-13D5-4621-BA66-C9384933F49E.jpeg 249E480D-FDD4-4801-976B-6F59A0CE0C3B.jpeg 45D13866-D636-44EE-B0A4-12D254662405.jpeg 249E480D-FDD4-4801-976B-6F59A0CE0C3B.jpeg 45D13866-D636-44EE-B0A4-12D254662405.jpeg
The gallery and shank looked thicker here but were whittled down after engraving was done. Here is the completed ring:
FAE91743-AA27-4995-B9DC-C82918E81598.jpeg 0CA7E6AF-8EEB-448A-B015-00FA0F2EC84D.jpeg

Hope this helps. Whatever you decide, it’ll be a spectacular piece!! Can’t wait to see it!!!

ETA: If you opt for a more delicate look, you might want to ask jeweler to prong set small stones on band with the least amount of metal showing without compromising sturdiness.

Last edited:

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@maita13 - thank you for your comment!! This is incredibly helpful. You ring is absolutely GORGEOUS! I completely agree with your comments about the prongs and gallery rails. I plan on having a conversation with the jeweler about the rounded bottom of the shank and go from there.

Yes - I am asking the jeweler about the least amount of metal showing for the small rounds. Likely a secure shared prong setting. I want to keep the delicate look throughout.

One question though - what did you decide for a wedding band? I am thinking straight with a little gap between the e-ring and the band. Also, I’d love to see hand pics!

Really appreciate your comment!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having the ring “rock” because you’ve rounded the bottom will most definitely not be comfortable.
@somethingborrowed

I'm going to disagree with this. I've had one ring made in which I didn't think to ask DK to round the shank, and it felt super bulky and looked less refined, IMO. I find rounded shanks are very comfortable. That was the only part of my ring that I disliked. It doesn't have to be full round, but I'd certainly have them make it more refined around the edges.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
@maita13 - thank you for your comment!! This is incredibly helpful. You ring is absolutely GORGEOUS! I completely agree with your comments about the prongs and gallery rails. I plan on having a conversation with the jeweler about the rounded bottom of the shank and go from there.

Yes - I am asking the jeweler about the least amount of metal showing for the small rounds. Likely a secure shared prong setting. I want to keep the delicate look throughout.

One question though - what did you decide for a wedding band? I am thinking straight with a little gap between the e-ring and the band. Also, I’d love to see hand pics!

Really appreciate your comment!!

Glad to be of help and thank you for your sweet comments❤️.

As for wedding band(s), this where you’ll have the most fun as you have unlimited options! You can wear a plain band or an eternity or both or stack as your mood demands it☺️. I don’t mind a bit of gap between e-ring and bands. In fact, I kind of like it. Here’s some of the ways I wear my rings:
7E53D05D-3972-44C3-9B43-B6ACFFDA033D.jpeg 8C52EE89-8625-4F11-8E2E-1F1BEF486D5A.png F5A99A3D-7555-4626-97F2-D48142C8D299.jpeg A9101861-122F-4B47-96E6-938AD40E1079.jpeg 996994EF-16DA-464F-848F-41DB767707CA.jpeg

You might want to check out the Stack of the Day thread for inspiration and eye candy.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is...

somethingborrowed

Rough_Rock
@msop04 - thanks for your comment. I think I may agree with you but this is definitely something I want to check when I go in to the jeweler again. I want to compare a few on my finger and see what works best. I agree that I probably would prefer a slightly rounded shank, like you suggest. Thanks for weighing in!

@maita13 - your ring is so stunning on your hand! It is definitely reassuring me that the emerald three stone is the way to go! Absolutely gorgeous. Yes - looking forward to the band selection. I definitely like the straight and a little gap, like yours. I kinda hate the curved bands - they just look weird to me. I will definitely check out that thread, thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results