shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me visualize my ring in YG

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been debating about switching to YG for a couple of years. It entails selling and replacing some of my favorite pieces, so I've been hesitant. However, after contacting DK, he offered a very reasonable price to remake my current setting in YG with the modification of claw prongs. I love the idea, but I'd like to see it with my own eyes, and I've tried using my computer's photo editor to try to approximate it with no real luck. I know some PSrs are much more savvy with this sort of thing and would like to ask if someone wouldn't mind too much to edit the current WG in one of photos.

Also, what does everyone thinks of my eternity ring being next to said ring (I wear as an e-ring)? I love it so much but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to switch that out to a YG as well. If so, I made be looking to trade in the future, so anyone who has the itch to go with WG, let me know.

If it matters, the center is graded as color M, the sides are GH or maybe warmer, I can't remember without searching for my ppw.

I'm including several pictures, some indoors and others outside when it was warm to get a better idea of what the ring looks like and how the eternity would sit against it.
20200716_071929.jpg 20200716_071833 (1).jpg IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2135.JPG
Thank you for any help you can offer!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like the outcome - it’s not a believable yg color to really help you much at all and I murdered your prong shapes anyways. Sorry!

From white to yellow to rose is much more difficult than the other way around.
but I’ll post it anyways. Maybe someone else can get a better outcome.
39289C1E-DA5A-4386-94B7-923877EC35D6.jpeg 9FB0752D-DF3F-484F-819F-468B5FAC03F4.jpeg

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I don’t like the outcome - it’s not a believable yg color to really help you much at all and I murdered your prong shapes anyways. Sorry!

From white to yellow to rose is much more difficult than the other way around.
but I’ll post it anyways. Maybe someone else can get a better outcome.
39289C1E-DA5A-4386-94B7-923877EC35D6.jpeg 9FB0752D-DF3F-484F-819F-468B5FAC03F4.jpeg

Thank you, it's much better than anything I can do. Seeing it here, I do prefer it to the WG, but it's making me think that I am going to have to look for another eternity...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have an M in yellow gold and an L as well. I can attach a photo if you want. But, every stone is different, so not sure if it helps you. I have an o-p in rose gold.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love it in w/g, sorry, no help at all :oops2: I can't believe your centre stone is an M, it's really white

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Clunkygirl ! I also love your current setting but I understand the need to change up things occasionally. Perhaps you could do a mixed metal e-ring? I also have a three stone with an M center (with M and N sides) set in platinum prongs but with an 18k YG shank. I’m attaching a photo for reference.

FWIW, I don’t think you need to change your eternity ring to YG should you decide to go ahead with your e-ring reset. You could wear a yellow gold band in addition to your WG eternity and e-ring. I find the mixed metal look quite appealing but that’s just me, of course. Hope this helps.

Edit to add: you can check out the Stack of the Day thread for mixed metal stacking inspiration(s).
00EAC67B-706A-4F10-AF35-6692C98E7E75.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is gorgeous as it is but I think it would looks amazing in yellow gold too! Not much help there am I! But I will say I wear a platinum engagement ring (bezel set so it’s obviously white metal) with a yellow gold band so I would totally leave your eternity ring as is.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1CE02B69-5D6A-4E72-9AF5-76B41AB7F332.jpeg A7DFC74F-DC0B-443D-B667-3B0DB318701D.jpeg A photo of mine for reference I know it’s flipped and not at all the same style 3339B957-6E86-439B-AEDF-E4BEDE8C2096.jpeg but the contrast thing is there. But too confuse things further. I also have a lower coloured diamond and I have that set in peach gold and I prefer to wear yellow gold with it (like my eternity) white gold (engraved band) doesn’t look so good.

Last edited:

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I have an M in yellow gold and an L as well. I can attach a photo if you want. But, every stone is different, so not sure if it helps you. I have an o-p in rose gold.

Yes, please post the yg if you don’t mind! thank you

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I really love it in w/g, sorry, no help at all :oops2: I can't believe your centre stone is an M, it's really white

Thank you. It’s definitely noticeable from the side and in some lighting, but I am a fan of warmer stones. I also like white gold, but yellow is much more flattering on my skin and it’s finally won the battle!

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @Clunkygirl ! I also love your current setting but I understand the need to change up things occasionally. Perhaps you could do a mixed metal e-ring? I also have a three stone with an M center (with M and N sides) set in platinum prongs but with an 18k YG shank. I’m attaching a photo for reference.

FWIW, I don’t think you need to change your eternity ring to YG should you decide to go ahead with your e-ring reset. You could wear a yellow gold band in addition to your WG eternity and e-ring. I find the mixed metal look quite appealing but that’s just me, of course. Hope this helps.

Edit to add: you can check out the Stack of the Day thread for mixed metal stacking inspiration(s).
00EAC67B-706A-4F10-AF35-6692C98E7E75.jpeg

Those are both great ideas. I especially like the simplicity of adding a plain YG band to pull it all together. Lovely ring and great photo. Thank you!

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
1CE02B69-5D6A-4E72-9AF5-76B41AB7F332.jpeg A7DFC74F-DC0B-443D-B667-3B0DB318701D.jpeg A photo of mine for reference I know it’s flipped and not at all the same style 3339B957-6E86-439B-AEDF-E4BEDE8C2096.jpeg but the contrast thing is there. But too confuse things further. I also have a lower coloured diamond and I have that set in peach gold and I prefer to wear yellow gold with it (like my eternity) white gold (engraved band) doesn’t look so good.

Thanks for putting together the various examples. I’m beginning to feel much better about the mixing golds and love the idea I won’t have to change out my band. Who made those prongs - I just love them.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is gorgeous as it is but I think it would looks amazing in yellow gold too! Not much help there am I! But I will say I wear a platinum engagement ring (bezel set so it’s obviously white metal) with a yellow gold band so I would totally leave your eternity ring as is.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ☺️

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been debating about switching to YG for a couple of years. It entails selling and replacing some of my favorite pieces, so I've been hesitant. However, after contacting DK, he offered a very reasonable price to remake my current setting in YG with the modification of claw prongs. I love the idea, but I'd like to see it with my own eyes, and I've tried using my computer's photo editor to try to approximate it with no real luck. I know some PSrs are much more savvy with this sort of thing and would like to ask if someone wouldn't mind too much to edit the current WG in one of photos.

Also, what does everyone thinks of my eternity ring being next to said ring (I wear as an e-ring)? I love it so much but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to switch that out to a YG as well. If so, I made be looking to trade in the future, so anyone who has the itch to go with WG, let me know.

If it matters, the center is graded as color M, the sides are GH or maybe warmer, I can't remember without searching for my ppw.

I'm including several pictures, some indoors and others outside when it was warm to get a better idea of what the ring looks like and how the eternity would sit against it.
20200716_071929.jpg 20200716_071833 (1).jpg IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2135.JPG

Your ring is gorgeous and honestly I’ve been on a three stone antique cut (more OMC versus OEC) obsession with a setting similar to yours! Love, love!

I actually came back to PS after a major hiatus bc I realized I’m a YG jewelry type girl and my ering and band were set in white gold. Originally for a simple wedding band upgrade and now I’m still here 2-3 months later following 1000 different rabbit holes

Anyway, this may be an unpopular opinion but I think your ring in YG would be amazing (reminds me of the Victor Barbone three stone rings I’ve been staring at). I’m not as expert as the other PS ers here so I think the comments of making sure your ring performs similarly in YG is a valid point to consider.

Personally I’m not a fan of mixing colors (considered making my current halo two tone but I just couldn’t come to terms with it) but that’s purely personal preference. Ultimately it’s going to be what you want for yourself. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous and honestly I’ve been on a three stone antique cut (more OMC versus OEC) obsession with a setting similar to yours! Love, love!

I actually came back to PS after a major hiatus bc I realized I’m a YG jewelry type girl and my ering and band were set in white gold. Originally for a simple wedding band upgrade and now I’m still here 2-3 months later following 1000 different rabbit holes

Anyway, this may be an unpopular opinion but I think your ring in YG would be amazing (reminds me of the Victor Barbone three stone rings I’ve been staring at). I’m not as expert as the other PS ers here so I think the comments of making sure your ring performs similarly in YG is a valid point to consider.

Personally I’m not a fan of mixing colors (considered making my current halo two tone but I just couldn’t come to terms with it) but that’s purely personal preference. Ultimately it’s going to be what you want for yourself. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

Thank you =)2. I try to take breaks from PS too because I can spend hours reading posts and looking at jewelry - there are so many beautiful stones, pieces, and ideas, not to mention information.

Did you change your rings to YG? I'd like to see them before and after if so. I think a before and after jewelry posting would be fun, it doesn't have to be just metal changes, but new stones, settings, cuts... new whatever.

My side obsession now is AV/DG antique cushions. There was a time when you'd see these for sale every few months on PS/LT, but things have slowed down so I'm not expecting to be over it anytime soon.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for putting together the various examples. I’m beginning to feel much better about the mixing golds and love the idea I won’t have to change out my band. Who made those prongs - I just love them.

Oh brilliant, I think your band is gorgeous it will look amazing next to yellow gold! The pronged ring is by David Klass, I was fairly particular about them!

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh brilliant, I think your band is gorgeous it will look amazing next to yellow gold! The pronged ring is by David Klass, I was fairly particular about them!

Well, I think I'm going to go for the gold :lol-2: I will start my preparations now, it makes me nervous to pop it in the mail, but I also look forward to its return home!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not change that in a million years. It has a very elegant Edwardian vibe to me -- like a modern classic -- and you would lose that completely.

Make a different ring and keep that one intact!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh please keep the head WG and just change the shank! I think it would look so gorgeous. I will admit to being biased as I wear a platinum ering with a YG/WG engraved wedding ring.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Thank you =)2. I try to take breaks from PS too because I can spend hours reading posts and looking at jewelry - there are so many beautiful stones, pieces, and ideas, not to mention information.

Did you change your rings to YG? I'd like to see them before and after if so. I think a before and after jewelry posting would be fun, it doesn't have to be just metal changes, but new stones, settings, cuts... new whatever.

My side obsession now is AV/DG antique cushions. There was a time when you'd see these for sale every few months on PS/LT, but things have slowed down so I'm not expecting to be over it anytime soon.

Ah, so many differing opinions on this thread :D just goes to show that personal preference will probably play a big role in what you choose even though your last post seemed to indicate you were going to proceed with YG after all.

I didn't end up changing either ring to YG actually, (will try to make this short as to not bore anyone to tears). I initially considered upgrading my wedding band to YG with the idea to slowly change everything over to YG stepwise. I went to a well known seller here on PS and took some hand shots of my e-ring with YG band but after weeks of consideration and looking at the pictures over and over I knew I didn't love the pairing of my WG halo with a YG band. I then considered plating my WG halo into YG as a more cost effective change but I decided I didn't love that as well. Now I'm on a path of upgrading my e-ring first (currently deciding on stone) and will place in a YG setting that matches. Who knows, in a few weeks that plan might change too. o_O

AV/DG = August Vintage/Distinctive Gem? Funny you mention it because once I decided to upgrade my e-ring, I decided I want to go lab with an AV with DG and sent them an email. Not to send you down a rabbit hole like myself but check out their lab custom cuts...and they have a brand new cut (lab AV OMC) that I am pretty confident that I will be pursuing. :kiss2:

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Ah, so many differing opinions on this thread :D just goes to show that personal preference will probably play a big role in what you choose even though your last post seemed to indicate you were going to proceed with YG after all.

I didn't end up changing either ring to YG actually, (will try to make this short as to not bore anyone to tears). I initially considered upgrading my wedding band to YG with the idea to slowly change everything over to YG stepwise. I went to a well known seller here on PS and took some hand shots of my e-ring with YG band but after weeks of consideration and looking at the pictures over and over I knew I didn't love the pairing of my WG halo with a YG band. I then considered plating my WG halo into YG as a more cost effective change but I decided I didn't love that as well. Now I'm on a path of upgrading my e-ring first (currently deciding on stone) and will place in a YG setting that matches. Who knows, in a few weeks that plan might change too. o_O

AV/DG = August Vintage/Distinctive Gem? Funny you mention it because once I decided to upgrade my e-ring, I decided I want to go lab with an AV with DG and sent them an email. Not to send you down a rabbit hole like myself but check out their lab custom cuts...and they have a brand new cut (lab AV OMC) that I am pretty confident that I will be pursuing. :kiss2:

It really is a tough decision. I've considered so many scenarios including a second ring - this time, a solitaire. Instagram created a whole new way to fall in love :love:. I hope you find your perfect stone. When you do, please post!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your current set. But my approach would be different...

I'd get a custom cut lab stone for your current 3 stone setting. I'd have it whiter so it matched your side stones and had no tint. I think your three stone looks wonderful with your diamond band and a new, well cut, whiter stone would pull the whole thing together.

THEN - I'd take your current diamond and use it in a yellow gold setting - maybe something with a colored halo? Yellow gold bezel? Combo of the two? Carre cut rubies perhaps? Or sell it an upgrade if you want something larger.

But either way, I'd hang onto your current settings - they look perfect together, and that's not easy to do with a 3 stone + eternity. Their design is also terrific and not common and beautifully made.

ETA. I'm a BIG yellow gold lover - but even I wouldn't touch your current settings!

Zarya

Rough_Rock
It entails selling and replacing some of my favorite pieces [...]

Could you just get the rings you have plated in yellow gold?

kt-k8

Rough_Rock
@Clunkygirl Your ring is lovely & I love the proportions of the stones. Do you recall their diameters? Thank for the info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results