shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me understand what gold front & back means in antique jewelry

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
When researching, some I come across describe it as the front part of locket and back part being solid gold, and hinges are a different metal like silver. But some say it's just a different from of plated gold. I looking at the photo below, it's marked front and back 9ct but it says "silver setting" which makes me think it's not just hinges. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clear idea? Is it more gold than say gold filled or rolled? Tagging the vintage OGs @stracci2000 and @PreRaphaelite as usual.

6B84E2C6-8BFB-4657-9E31-F25D7DE4C5ED.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When researching, some I come across describe it as the front part of locket and back part being solid gold, and hinges are a different metal like silver. But some say it's just a different from of plated gold. I looking at the photo below, it's marked front and back 9ct but it says "silver setting" which makes me think it's not just hinges. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clear idea? Is it more gold than say gold filled or rolled? Tagging the vintage OGs @stracci2000 and @PreRaphaelite as usual.

6B84E2C6-8BFB-4657-9E31-F25D7DE4C5ED.jpeg
This is different! I guess it's mixed metals.
Has this been acid tested by the vendor?
Does that back say 900? I can't read it too good.
If it says 900, that would be the silver content.
If the price is low, it is worth taking a chance on. If it is high, I would pass on the sketchy description.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is different! I guess it's mixed metals.
Has this been acid tested by the vendor?
Does that back say 900? I can't read it too good.
If it says 900, that would be the silver content.
If the price is low, it is worth taking a chance on. If it is high, I would pass on the sketchy description.

I had to zoom in and it says 9CT (it looks like 9O but the O is a C) back front but also says silver setting so that’s why it’s confusing to me. They want $220 w a best offer button. This vendor has a lot of cool stuff but one thing that gets on my nerves is they don’t have gram weight and when I contacted them they don’t have a scale! And they sell exclusively jewelry I mean come on buy a scale off Amazon or something!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tag!

It's not gold-plate or rolled-gold. My understanding is that these are assembled very like an shagreen box or better yet a crocodile-skin purse: the most precious material is used to wrap around the frame, while less valuable and sturdier material provides the structure. Makes sense, I hope?

The parts that touch your skin are gold, albeit a thin sheet.

The locket front and back are 9 carat gold, stamped in a press. The structure of the locket is modeled of silver (probably 800 silver, for 2 reasons: first, it is of English origin, and that's a common silver content, and second, if it were 900 or 925, is would be easy to stamp that instead of the full phrase shown).

As for price? I defer to the famous telegram once sent to a woman of note:

NOPRICETOOHIGH

Now, how shall we punctuate it?

"no price too high!" or "No! Price too high!"

You decide.

;-)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tag!

It's not gold-plate or rolled-gold. My understanding is that these are assembled very like an shagreen or or even crocodile-skin purse: the most precious and valuable material is used to wrap around the frame, while less precious material provides the structure. Makes sense, I hope?

The parts that touch your skin are gold, albeit a thin sheet.

The locket front and back are 9 carat gold, stamped in a press. The structure of the locket is modeled of silver (probably 800 silver, for 2 reasons: first, it is of English origin, and that's a common silver content, and second, if it were 900 or 925, is would be easy to stamp that instead of the full phrase shown).

NOPRICETOOHIGH

You decide.

;-)

This is very helpful thank you!!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

NOPRICETOOHIGH

You decide.

;-)

:lol-2: :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes as @PreRaphaelite advises Victorian jewellery can be a bit of a mish mash of metals.
You can find pieces with “a metal core” meaning there is gold on the outside but the structure has been made of an non precious metal.
With Curb bracelets, for eg, you have to be mindful that some of these can have a silver core or even be “wax filled”, this means the weight of the item isn’t all gold. So you have to be mindful of the items construction if you are deciding if the price is fair. A lot of vendors use a price formula based on gram weight and gold carat BUT if a proportion on that weight is “other material” you might be paying too much.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes as @PreRaphaelite advises Victorian jewellery can be a bit of a mish mash of metals.
You can find pieces with “a metal core” meaning there is gold on the outside but the structure has been made of an non precious metal.
With Curb bracelets, for eg, you have to be mindful that some of these can have a silver core or even be “wax filled”, this means the weight of the item isn’t all gold. So you have to be mindful of the items construction if you are deciding if the price is fair. A lot of vendors use a price formula based on gram weight and gold carat BUT if a proportion on that weight is “other material” you might be paying too much.

Would you think that front and back is higher content than rolled or filled? It’s not a question that I can easily find the answer to when I look it up. As for pricing to me it’s crazy how much Victorian pieces cost now. I see pieces that are gold filled or rolled and they want to charge hundreds of dollars simply because of the antique-ness of the piece.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you think that front and back is higher content than rolled or filled? It’s not a question that I can easily find the answer to when I look it up. As for pricing to me it’s crazy how much Victorian pieces cost now. I see pieces that are gold filled or rolled and they want to charge hundreds of dollars simply because of the antique-ness of the piece.

The gold content is usually a thin sheet but back in the early days the rules about declaring gold content were more lax.
Later on when an item was “gold clad” or “rolled gold” it was hallmarked as “1/10th 14kt gold” or “1/20th 14kt gold”. That way actual gold content of weight could be calculated.
The price of Victorian jewellery has more to do with the workmanship, rarity and desirability than the “sum of the precious metal components”.
I’ve seen Georgian earrings in silver and Paste for prices that you’d be expecting real diamonds for. These Georgian pieces are rare and highly sought after by collectors so the price is not based on the silver weight or the glass gems.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Welp, it sold. :lol: I took the photo of my monitor so idk if someone was still able to find it with an image search anyway, or if it's just coincidence. In any case, this was the item. I have been searching for something celestial that doesn't break the bank.

s-l1600.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welp, it sold. :lol: I took the photo of my monitor so idk if someone was still able to find it with an image search anyway, or if it's just coincidence. In any case, this was the item. I have been searching for something celestial that doesn't break the bank.

s-l1600.jpg

Awww! It's so pretty!
I'm sorry that you missed out. That's the gamble we take with these antique pieces.
And if someone sniped this, knowing that you were interested, that's just plain evil.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely - I'm sorry someone else got it! Interesting to see the front - it looks as though the face and the bale are both rose gold but the top flourish in yellow (maybe vermeil?)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And if someone sniped this, knowing that you were interested, that's just plain evil.

It is ok; and I wouldn’t blame them. It’s the risk we take. If I was totally in love I would have bought it first, then asked my question!! Haha.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely - I'm sorry someone else got it! Interesting to see the front - it looks as though the face and the bale are both rose gold but the top flourish in yellow (maybe vermeil?)

Yes that is unusual!

This similar one on Etsy is also front back gold and it’s paste - $550! So the one that sold now seems even more well priced.

C7122779-BED0-4B5D-B0A6-7244BD290B35.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results