shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me to Decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

umhrn

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I have been looking for an engagement ring for my girlfirend and I think I have it narrowed down to two settings. I already have the stone picked out, it''s a 1.63 Round brilliant.

The only thing she mentioned to me is that she likes platinum. Please help me decide which one. Opinions needed!

Attached are pics of the settings....

Thanks in Advance,

http://www.martinflyer.com/retailers/catalog_zoom.asp?category=A&style=5226LEPL&diawt=D%20.10%20/AC%201.10

http://weddingband.com/somos9012.html

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, they are both beautiful--and different! The first one seems a little more modern than the second. Tough call. What do you think about having the diamond set in a temporary simple solitaire setting and then the two of you go back together to pick out the permanent setting? Stores usually do this and apply what you spent on the temporary to the final choice-check and see. It''s usually called a "presentation setting."
1.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 11:59:48 PM
Author: justjulia
Wow, they are both beautiful--and different! The first one seems a little more modern than the second. Tough call. What do you think about having the diamond set in a temporary simple solitaire setting and then the two of you go back together to pick out the permanent setting? Stores usually do this and apply what you spent on the temporary to the final choice-check and see. It''s usually called a ''presentation setting.''
1.gif
I like that idea! That way you can make sure that she''ll end up with the setting she likes. And who knows... she may like the solitaire setting after all! But if you are really set on choosing between the two that you posted, I would definitely go for the Martin Flyer''s. I have seen his settings and they are pretty well made.

umhrn

Rough_Rock
Good ideas, thanks for the input. Does anyone know what type of diamonds are on the sides of the Martin Flyer setting? I believe someone said something about them being asschers??

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
That''s what they look like, to me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both of the settings are really pretty, but I''d personally choose the Martin Flyer.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with justjulia-I think you would be better off with a simple 6 prong setting (maybe even just get white gold because it''s cheaper) to propose with and if she wants a fancier setting, you two could choose it together. Both of those settings, while beautiful, are very unique and probably not for everyone.

umhrn

Rough_Rock
Well she has seen both and says she would be happy with either one and wants me to suprise her! She is a nurse so she wears gloves alot so I think that should be taken into consideration. Also her style is quite classic and elegant. More opinions please!!!
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like the Martin Flyer. I think the Asscher side stones are really cool. The leaf/petal motif on the other seems boring to me. But if she wears gloves a lot, you should go for the one where the center stone sits lower. Can''t really tell which that is from those pictures.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she was just telling you what metal she likes and was not more specific, I would likely do the temp setting and tell her, once you propose, that you two can go out and pick her dream setting. The two you posted are so different from each other. Does she like blingy settings or more simple ones? Antique or vintage looking, classic, or contemporary? If you are flying a bit blind, I think giving her the stone in a temp setting will be the best option.

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 4:59:39 PM
Author: umhrn
Well she has seen both and says she would be happy with either one and wants me to suprise her! She is a nurse so she wears gloves alot so I think that should be taken into consideration. Also her style is quite classic and elegant. More opinions please!!!
9.gif
Since she wears gloves a lot, it''s probably a good idea to set the diamond low. Both settings that you are considering are absolutely beautiful (and it helps that your girlfriend likes them), but I am afraid they may not be so practical as the diamond will most likely stick up quite a bit. I could be wrong, though, since the photos do not show a profile, but this is something you should take into consideration.

If I were you, I would consider a classic setting such as the platinum trellis setting from Bluenile: http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3736&page=1&col=2&row=5&pos=14&set_shape=
Chances are she will love the setting and will want to keep it as is, but if she wanted to change it later on, you did not spend an arm and a leg to purchase it! You can obviously save some money if you went with a white gold setting instead of platinum.
4.gif
This is just a suggestion, of course...
2.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmmm, I just love that Martin Flyer ring. Gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results