shape
carat
color
clarity

help me tell my dealer what to look for!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

damo

Rough_Rock
I''m after a round diamond for an e-ring.

The dealer I''m using gets selections for me to choose from and I''d really like to give him some direction from an independant source, i.e. you lot!

After speaking to my gfriend whats important to her is how it looks in everyday conditions, sparkle and fire.

I''m looking for one at the 1 ct mark, so I was thinking that cut and colour are most important, clarity could go at low as SI.

Should I say that I''m after someing at and SI grade, colour H or above and with 6.5mm x 4mm dimensions?

What about depth and table size?

I''ve had alot of help on these forums already, and am really looking forward to some more.

Thanks in advance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VISIT MY WEBSITE AND YOU CAN GET A LOT OF INFO THAT WILL GIVE YOU Parameters that you may request that might make good sense in describing a diamond to a dealer. Don
t get hung up on thge 1A grading.... Diamonds have many different configurations. Let the dealer use some judgment, too. They do have experience in these matters.

Avoid diamonds with parameters that fall below 2B...Then you have a decent chance of a well cut stone and a pretty one.

damo

Rough_Rock
thanks, i'll check your site out.
theres just so many variables i get tooooo confused!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can also go to a site such as GOG or WF and look at their H&A stones, printout some of the stones w/their reports and give to your jeweler to show him what sort of stones can be found online for reasonable pricing...dare him to show you something similar for the same money!! It should be a challenge he wants to meet.

damo

Rough_Rock
hi, I'm looking at the chart on your site at http://www.gemappraisers.com/chartFrameset.htm for a round >0.5ct

I'm a bit unsure as to why there are two ranges in some of the cells, for instance under 1b for table is says both 52.0%-52.9% and 58.1%-60.0%. does that mean in either of those ranges is ok?

thanks

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/27/2003 2:54:24 PM damo wrote:

After speaking to my gfriend whats important to her is how it looks in everyday conditions, sparkle and fire.

I'm looking for one at the 1 ct mark, so I was thinking that cut and colour are most important, clarity could go at low as SI.

Should I say that I'm after someing at and SI grade, colour H or above and with 6.5mm x 4mm dimensions?

----------------

The performance your g-friend wants will be a direct result of CUT. Keep CUT as your top priority. If you use the left hand search engine on the PS home page, click the AGS0/H&A boxes. For less guess work, use the search engine on the upper right hand side and search diamonds with known crown and pavillion angles.

If you have CUT, you can easily consider I and J color diamonds. Nate, a PS Forum member, just bought J color and is very pleased with his selection. I have personally seen a .85 carat J color A Cut Above from White Flash. The CUT made that J color white and bright when compared to white gold and platinum setting on white paper in all kinds of lighting. And, it fired the colors of the rainbow. No yellow or brownish tinges what so ever.

SI1 clarity can offer you a bigger bang for your buck in pricing and still be 100% eye clean. The key is the type, size, color, and location of the inclusions. Be sure to discuss inclusions with your vendor and get pictures in advance if possible.
1.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
pq,

great post. very informative and concise. i, on the other hand would've babbled too much...
errrr.gif

damo,

you may also want to use the search engine at pricescope so you get an idea the kind of diamonds you can get for your budget.

like pq said, make CUT the #1 priority in choosing a diamond. DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS or you'll be sorry.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results