shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me spend my under 4k wisely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been researching for at least 4 months on pricescope and gleaming as much info as I can but I honestly need help! My BF is very close to buying a ring and has left the picking out to me. Everyday he asks me if I''ve found something I like better. I have 3 pages of notes and websites for him but I really need to narrow it down. He wants to stay under 4k which is still very generous but I''m struggling with how I should spend it. Due to my fear of b&m stores (thanks to pricescope) I haven''t tried anything on so I''m going by pictures I''ve seen here. A big factor for me is that I have very large hands and long fingers, even though I''m only 5 feet tall! I feel like I need ample finger coverage as to not get lost on my hands. I really love pave and halo rings and also love a split shank. I would prefer platinum but I know that it''s going to eat up a lot of my budget. If I spend most of my budget on the setting can I still get a decent diamond when most of the settings I''ve found ask for a minimum .75? Do I REALLY need platinum? If you were me how would you spend this budget? Here are a few ideas of what I like:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7817

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_940.htm

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2226.asp

I would prefer to get the center stone/setting at the same place because if I don''t keep it simple for my sweet darling BF he might go crazy! Also if anyone has some real life pics of rings in this price range on my size-ish fingers I would love to see them! Thanks in advance for your help!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend spending most of your budget on the stone and a simple setting and upgrade the setting down the road.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I think this will probably be the only piece of jewelry I ever get. My BF is VERY frugal and doesn''t really "get" the jewelry thing plus I''m not a super flashy person. Luckily I already have a great pair of diamond studs I bought myself a couple years back!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The JA setting you would have to go white gold and stretch you budget $300+ to get it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Karl has given you excellent choices to get exactly what you want. The WF setting is well-priced and leaves a little more for the stone. It should be beautiful.

setell

Shiny_Rock

Sorry I''m fairly new to diamonds myself but how is this setting? The split might be too much I think compared to the settings you’ve posted. It’s just $995 for white gold and very affordable with your budget! Plus ID Jewelery carry the Gabriel & Co designer line so just surf their site and see what else they got besides the one ID Jewelery has listed. I don’t think you’ll find that many places that will be able to beat their prices for settings! Luann at ID Jewelery is great to work with too! If you save a bit on your setting you can spend more on your diamond!

http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4234&cType=

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Karl - Thanks so much for the help! Do you think it''s doable in that setting even though it''s under .75? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just noticed that it says the setting is for .75 - 1.50.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:01:59 PM
Author: winelover23
Karl - Thanks so much for the help! Do you think it''s doable in that setting even though it''s under .75? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just noticed that it says the setting is for .75 - 1.50.
check but I think the .73x should be close enough to work.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of their .75s is

Measurements: 5.86-5.89X3.59

The .735 is:

. Measurements: 5.77-5.80X3.57

I don''t see why it wouldn''t work.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Quite the detective you are! Thank you so much, I am creating my "wish list"
28.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:22:09 PM
Quite the detective you are! Thank you so much, I am creating my ''wish list''
28.gif
I would call soon and put it on hold, it is a rare size as most diamonds would be cut to make the .75 price jump.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 2:40:43 PM
Author:winelover23
I''ve been researching for at least 4 months on pricescope and gleaming as much info as I can but I honestly need help! My BF is very close to buying a ring and has left the picking out to me. Everyday he asks me if I''ve found something I like better. I have 3 pages of notes and websites for him but I really need to narrow it down. He wants to stay under 4k which is still very generous but I''m struggling with how I should spend it. Due to my fear of b&m stores (thanks to pricescope) I haven''t tried anything on so I''m going by pictures I''ve seen here. A big factor for me is that I have very large hands and long fingers, even though I''m only 5 feet tall! I feel like I need ample finger coverage as to not get lost on my hands. I really love pave and halo rings and also love a split shank. I would prefer platinum but I know that it''s going to eat up a lot of my budget. If I spend most of my budget on the setting can I still get a decent diamond when most of the settings I''ve found ask for a minimum .75? Do I REALLY need platinum? If you were me how would you spend this budget? Here are a few ideas of what I like:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7817

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_940.htm

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2226.asp

I would prefer to get the center stone/setting at the same place because if I don''t keep it simple for my sweet darling BF he might go crazy! Also if anyone has some real life pics of rings in this price range on my size-ish fingers I would love to see them! Thanks in advance for your help!

What is your ring size?

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree with Karl. Spend your money on the stone, get a simple mounting. You can always upgrade the mounting but once you buy the stone it''s yours.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
My ring size is 6.5

Steel

Ideal_Rock
From JBEG and you will have $250 left over for a setting!

1.21CT LOOSE OLD EUROPEAN CUT diamond

OEC121_fire.194160912_std.jpg

Color: J/K
Clarity: VS
Dimensions: 6.76mm x 6.78mm x 3.93mm
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Culet: Medium[/FONT]

Fluorescence: Very faint

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Wonderful face up look! This stone faces up beautifully white and is a very desirable size. The facets are chunky, blocky and uniquely antique. Excellent shape - with no chips or nicks.[/FONT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ5jvCMvS_4&feature=channel_page

Price: Formerly $4,150, now $3,750!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I tried to be lazy but of course the picture didn''t show
20.gif

So here you go....

Oh rats, now I have to resize..grumble.....

Here you go part deux:

buy me.jpg

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 5:11:12 PM
Author: ct-appr
I agree with Karl. Spend your money on the stone, get a simple mounting. You can always upgrade the mounting but once you buy the stone it''s yours.
I think it depends on the poster''s preference. Some people just don''t like solitaires. If the OP doesn''t like solitaires, I would go with the bBuenile setting and a .75 carat stone. A size 6.5 ring isn''t that big. With the halo, I think it will look substantial.

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
sam82 - Thanks for saying 6.5 isn't that big! I've always been very self conscience about my hands!

p.s. and you're right I'm not a solitaire fan for my hands

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Karl - Hi just wanted to let you know I just got done "chatting" w/ Juli and the .73 will indeed work in that setting. She also sent me more pics of the setting which made me love it even more!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 9:04:35 PM
Karl - Hi just wanted to let you know I just got done ''chatting'' w/ Juli and the .73 will indeed work in that setting. She also sent me more pics of the setting which made me love it even more!
kewl

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
winelover, I think if you choose one of the diamonds suggested with the Whiteflash setting you will have a stunning ER that many will be envious of. The .75 diamonds are a fair size but with a halo will look proportional I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results