Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me spend my PS Giveaway $!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Thanks again to PS for sponsoring the holiday giveaway! I've decided to use the prize money to finally get a long-awaited pair of diamonds studs. But I've never selected diamonds on my own before and I'm quite an indecisive person to begin with, so I'm feeling a bit stuck trying buy these studs on my own. Please help! Budget: $2000 or so for the stones, but flexible. Don't want to spend much on setting.
Diamond stats: Would like 1.0ctw or bigger, ideally. Considering going down to H/I color, SI1/SI2.

I'm strongly considering WhiteFlash, with a simple 4 prong setting so I can be open to upgrading down the line. Does the WF 4-prong setting sit well on the ear? I also love the martini look, but read here that they can dig into one's piercings. :errrr:
Or, given my smaller budget, would I be better off with IDJ, GoG, or another vendor? It seems there is a WF premium (.80-.85ctw instead of a full carat at other vendors), and I wouldn't mind getting a bit more size. :bigsmile: Do you think I could potentially go lower in color, when my wedding set is E/F? I'm afraid J/K color studs would be noticeably different enough to bother me.

Thanks for any advice!
Btw, here is what approx 1ctw (CZ, lol) studs look like on my ears:

half_carat.png
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Niel - thanks, I hadn't really considered JA, perhaps bc they aren't mentioned as much, but the prices and diamond selection look good. Though it looks like the trade-up policy requires getting diamonds double the price of the old stones!

Kind of off topic: I don't know if you saw them, but the pear lever backs definitely caught my eye on the JA site. They are so stunning that I'm almost tempted to get them instead!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961
blingbunny10|1452649849|3975119 said:
Niel - thanks, I hadn't really considered JA, perhaps bc they aren't mentioned as much, but the prices and diamond selection look good. Though it looks like the trade-up policy requires getting diamonds double the price of the old stones!

Kind of off topic: I don't know if you saw them, but the pear lever backs definitely caught my eye on the JA site. They are so stunning that I'm almost tempted to get them instead!
James Allen is mentioned a whole lot on the diamond side of town. Very reputable. And at the price you're paying I don't think it's hard to pay double if you do decide to upgrade.

Off to look at their pear earrings ::)
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
This may be a very basic question, but:
Is there a downside to using the diamond pair search tools on sites like JA and WF? I've noticed many posters hand selecting individual diamonds to create a pair rather than opting for matched pairs, and was curious if there's a particular reason for that.
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,246
blingbunny10|1452742851|3975751 said:
This may be a very basic question, but:
Is there a downside to using the diamond pair search tools on sites like JA and WF? I've noticed many posters hand selecting individual diamonds to create a pair rather than opting for matched pairs, and was curious if there's a particular reason for that.
When I first started buying diamonds I got a pair of RB pre-set dangles [their higher quality] from JA. I was surprised at how just well-cut, well-matched they were.
However, when I look at the pre-matched pairs of [esp. fancy] stones I cannot see the logic. The stones must be matched on paper, because often the actual stones bear little resemblance to each other.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961
blingbunny10|1452742851|3975751 said:
This may be a very basic question, but:
Is there a downside to using the diamond pair search tools on sites like JA and WF? I've noticed many posters hand selecting individual diamonds to create a pair rather than opting for matched pairs, and was curious if there's a particular reason for that.
I agree with Jimmianne,I think they are paired on paper to match in color, ct , cut and clarity. Foe the average individual that's perfectly fine. However, if you want to be particular about their matching, don't care if they match clarity, want to get a better cut,then searching individually is fine.

Pairs of branded cuts is easy peasy becuase you know the cuts will match, but when you're just comparing ideal cut non branded stones, there are variences within the cut that can mean two stones look different. Now, that's for when you're in PS and want to take all the pictures... Will you really tell when theyre by themselves on your ears?
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Thanks Jimmianne and Niel. That makes sense. I was also confused because I saw some pairs that seemed pretty visibly off in size from each other, but assumed because they were marketed as a matched pair, that there must not be a big visual difference. Good to know that I should double check!
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
I have a potential pair on hold! Posting stats here in case folks have any final thoughts before I purchase. I think the size difference will not be readily visible, but am I missing anything?

Stone 1:
carat: .413
color: I
clarity: VS2
size: 4.80-4.82x2.95
depth%: 61.3
table%: 55.7
crown angle: 34.6
pav angle: 40.8


Stone 2:
carat: .423
color: I
clarity: SI1
size: 4.82-4.84x2.95
depth%: 61.1
table%: 57.6
crown angle: 35.1
pav angle: 40.7
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961
blingbunny10|1453231457|3978056 said:
I have a potential pair on hold! Posting stats here in case folks have any final thoughts before I purchase. I think the size difference will not be readily visible, but am I missing anything?

Stone 1:
carat: .413
color: I
clarity: VS2
size: 4.80-4.82x2.95
depth%: 61.3
table%: 55.7
crown angle: 34.6
pav angle: 40.8


Stone 2:
carat: .423
color: I
clarity: SI1
size: 4.82-4.84x2.95
depth%: 61.1
table%: 57.6
crown angle: 35.1
pav angle: 40.7
same fluorescence? do you have links?
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
I also chose this pair for the relatively large face up size. I was originally looking for .88ctw or so and found it interesting that there were so few pairs in the .85-.99ctw range. I guess because 1ctw+ commands a price premium and the "just under" pairs get snapped up quickly.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Found an alternative pair, which is larger but J color and not quite as good on the HCA scores. Ugh can't decide....


Depth%: 61.7
Table%: 57.1
Crown: 34.8
Pav: 40.9

Depth%: 61.6
Table%: 56.2
Crown: 34.8
Pav: 40.7

lowerc1.png

lowerc2.png

lowerc3.png
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961
I'd want as close to 5mm as I could get. For me that's kind of a mind clean thing


I'd be lax on clarity over color. Where in a ring I'd be the loose, in earrings the color will be more noticeable. Meaning, white diamonds will pop, and a feather or a speckle isn't anything someone will see. After all, who is all up in your ears?

Don't worry about the hca when looking at whiteflash. You've got all the info you need there. And you're safe with any of their lines of diamonds
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Niel|1453256887|3978311 said:
I'd want as close to 5mm as I could get. For me that's kind of a mind clean thing


I'd be lax on clarity over color. Where in a ring I'd be the loose, in earrings the color will be more noticeable. Meaning, white diamonds will pop, and a feather or a speckle isn't anything someone will see. After all, who is all up in your ears?

Don't worry about the hca when looking at whiteflash. You've got all the info you need there. And you're safe with any of their lines of diamonds
Hmm I saw a lot of threads with J and K color studs, so I assumed my little 4.8mm ones wouldn't show much color! I have no idea how color sensitive I am in real life and you make a good point re: clarity. I was hoping for 5mm, but I don't know if it's worth giving up the 4.82mm I color pair and going down to a J pair that's about $550 more.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Images for the I color pair. I don't see glaring differences between the I pair and J pair IS images, but the ASETs look quite different...?

eye1_images.png

eye2_images.png
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,961
blingbunny10|1453257538|3978322 said:
Niel|1453256887|3978311 said:
I'd want as close to 5mm as I could get. For me that's kind of a mind clean thing


I'd be lax on clarity over color. Where in a ring I'd be the loose, in earrings the color will be more noticeable. Meaning, white diamonds will pop, and a feather or a speckle isn't anything someone will see. After all, who is all up in your ears?

Don't worry about the hca when looking at whiteflash. You've got all the info you need there. And you're safe with any of their lines of diamonds
Hmm I saw a lot of threads with J and K color studs, so I assumed my little 4.8mm ones wouldn't show much color! I have no idea how color sensitive I am in real life and you make a good point re: clarity. I was hoping for 5mm, but I don't know if it's worth giving up the 4.82mm I color pair and going down to a J pair that's about $550 more.
Like I said, I'm not saying the color will be more noticeable in earrings than other places, I'm saying it'll be more noticeable than clarity. So sacrifice on clarity a little more before sacrificing on color, is my suggestion.

I still like the James Allen ones, but as you feel more comfortable with whiteflash. Id get the smaller, less expensive Is
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
Niel|1453258237|3978332 said:
blingbunny10|1453257538|3978322 said:
Niel|1453256887|3978311 said:
I'd want as close to 5mm as I could get. For me that's kind of a mind clean thing


I'd be lax on clarity over color. Where in a ring I'd be the loose, in earrings the color will be more noticeable. Meaning, white diamonds will pop, and a feather or a speckle isn't anything someone will see. After all, who is all up in your ears?

Don't worry about the hca when looking at whiteflash. You've got all the info you need there. And you're safe with any of their lines of diamonds
Hmm I saw a lot of threads with J and K color studs, so I assumed my little 4.8mm ones wouldn't show much color! I have no idea how color sensitive I am in real life and you make a good point re: clarity. I was hoping for 5mm, but I don't know if it's worth giving up the 4.82mm I color pair and going down to a J pair that's about $550 more.
Like I said, I'm not saying the color will be more noticeable in earrings than other places, I'm saying it'll be more noticeable than clarity. So sacrifice on clarity a little more before sacrificing on color, is my suggestion.

I still like the James Allen ones, but as you feel more comfortable with whiteflash. Id get the smaller, less expensive Is
Ah, I see what you are saying re: color. I really like the stats, size and fluor aspect of the JA stones you suggested, but decided to only look at WF stones due to the upgrade policy. I will probably want to go up in size, but sadly probably won't ever be able to afford double what I spend now! Thanks for all your feedback here. (Sidenote: I found it interesting that I came across ZERO pairs of diamonds with even faint fluor on the WF site. Lots of light to med fluor diamonds on the JA site.)
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,168
Blingbunny, I agree with Niel for that size of earrings I'd pick a higher color over clarity. The .88 - .95 ctw is tough to find but I think the size you are looking at will look great. It's nice to buy them somewhere with a good upgrade program.

On a completely different subject, please tell me about the bunny in your avatar. It's so cute.
 

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
848
marcy - Thanks for the input! I enjoyed hunting for my diamond pair and think I made the right choice for me, but it is reassuring to get much more experienced posters' thoughts in this thread. ::)

The bunny in my avatar is a really cute bracelet charm I found listed for sale in my early Pricescope days. Sadly, I never bought it as I am not girly enough to pull that off. But I still like looking at the picture.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,168
Bling bunny, I don't think you can go wrong if you get some studs from Whiteflash. I have had good luck having them pick out something for me in my price range that meets these specs. I will be anxious to see what you get.

Thank you for the info on the bunny. I will look for a bunny charm. My husband has a few hand sized Killer Rabbits as in Monty Python Holy Grail fame. I have some teddy bears so the killer rabbits hunt my teddy bears. Yes we are easily entertained but I've been looking for something bunny or bear related for a keychain. A charm just might work for me.

Marcy
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Quarter Century Anniversary Upgrade
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)
    Diamonds and the Movies – Watchlist (Part 1)
    Something Blue
    Something Blue

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top